Are you / have you used LittleSnitch - comments Please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by star555, Aug 10, 2008.

1. star555 macrumors regular

As a newbie and a first time Mac user, I am trying to be careful in what I download and install on my new iMac, so before I install any thing I try and get some feed back from some one who is using / has used the application in question . So this time I am looking at installing an application called LittleSnitch , so just a few question to current / past users of LittleSnitch..

1. Is LS really a useful application to have installed on your Mac

2. Is LS easy to set up and configure

3. Does LS tend to get annoying with constant screen warning pop up's

3. Would you recommend LS

4. Have you removed / un installed LS , and how easy was it to do

5. Do you have any general advice / comments about LS

Thanks

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

1. Is LS really a useful application to have installed on your Mac
    It's installed on my computer and well, it's only 'really useful' if you want/need what it does.

2. Is LS easy to set up and configure
    Very easy.

3. Does LS tend to get annoying with constant screen warning pop up's
    For the first week or two. But then you just say that specific app can 'forever' be allowed to use 'that' connection or 'all' connections. It's fairly self explanatory when it pops up

3. Would you recommend LS
    Like I said, if you need this tool. I would recommend it.

4. Have you removed / un installed LS , and how easy was it to do
    Yes. It was easy and there were no longer pop ups or hidden processes left.

5. Do you have any general advice / comments about LS
    I forget I actually have it installed on here until I run a new app. It's great. I like to see who is calling what when. I've blocked lots of things I don't want sent out.

3. sknikos macrumors newbie

I couldn't agree more. It is an excellent application, very easy to use, very light on resources, cheap. I use it for more than a year and it did not cause me a single problem. :D (I still remember the dark age of windows and norton firewall and the loss of resources and the BSOD:mad:)

4. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I've used it for years now... great app! You will have to be clear what app/service you're blocking when it requests whether you want to allow or not. Someitmes, ichat or .mac - err - mobileme will try to configure itself and if you disallow contact... it wont work.

Pretty easy to configure. That said inversely proportionate to you skill level.

Basically, if you have a copy of something that's cracked/hacked that calls home... it works to fight that.