Are You Holding Off The Upgrade to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anirban, Oct 27, 2007.

  1. anirban macrumors 6502a


    Jan 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Hello all!

    As the title says, are you holding off the upgrade to Leopard for now? I plan to do an erase and install on my MBP, but I just have way too much stuff on it- and very less time to back them all up. Apart from that, I am waiting for 10.5.1 to be released before upgrading. I am also waiting for the applications to iron out the bugs they may have in Leopard. For now, Tiger is just more than enough for me to get my work done.

    But this view of mine has come under.. criticism (for lack of a better word) by other Macintosh users.... so was just wondering what the general consensus is out here.

  2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000


    Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yeah I held off...

    for about 3 minutes.

    Once I saw screen shots, the speed increases, and how much I could increase my productivity, I fed my hungry slot-loading drive the sexy little disc as soon as my mucky little fingers could cram it in.

    No regrets so far!
  3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus


    Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    I jumped straight in and did an upgrade. There are some issues but no show stoppers.

    There are a lot of people around that will be waiting until 10.5.1/.2/.3 before upgrading, or they will be waiting for mission critical applications to work.
  4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020


    Aug 27, 2004
    It depends what you use your Mac for. If you work on it, ie. make your living on it, I'd wait until all your apps are working and the kinks have been ironed out. If it's just surfing the web, email, iLife etc, I'd upgrade now.
  5. technicolor macrumors 68000


    Dec 21, 2005
    Wont upgrade until Thanksgiving or Xmas break. I dont need any headaches during the school week.
  6. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jan 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Well, this is interesting. I have some peer pressure now :D

    I am still skeptical of everything going smoothly- hence I am reluctant to mess around with my computer during the semester.

    as technicolor said, I might consider upgrading over christmas, but I had made up my mind to wait until 10.5.1 is released, but you folks are screwing around with my head now :p
  7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Jul 4, 2004
    Yes, I'm holding off... there's nothing in Leopard that will currently do anything for the apps that I need to run for my work; QuarkXpress, Creative Suite with some other graphics related apps.

    Here I am today, typing this on Tiger on my MBP, on a machine that works exactly the way it did yesterday as I have work to do... so I'll wait for key app patches and maybe OS 10.5.2 or something.
  8. Palliser macrumors regular

    Jul 28, 2007
    Yes, only because I just switched from PC to MAC about a month ago. So I'm still getting used to everything. So its all still new to me anyways!
  9. thomasp macrumors 6502a

    Sep 18, 2004
    I'm going to be holding off until at least Christmas, when I can afford to have a bit of downtime on my computer (lots of Uni work, etc).

    Leopard just doesn't jump out and say "Buy me!" in the same way that Tiger did... not really sure why. I think it's some of the UI changes that I don't like like the dock, menubar and folder icons. Also, I am only using a 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook (and watch a lot of DVDs on it...), so I'm a bit sceptical about how fast Leopard will be, and whether or not it'll make things worse, speed-wise.
  10. Doctor Q Administrator

    Doctor Q

    Staff Member

    Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    A guy in line with me said he won't install Leopard until after the first patch release. So why did he wait over 2 hours in line!?!?!?
  11. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jan 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Did the free Tshirt have anything to do with that? Or maybe he wanted to buy batteries for his wireless Apple keyboard? :rolleyes:
  12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

    IJ Reilly

    Jul 16, 2002
    I'll probably wait until 10.5.1. I'm less worried about bugs in the initial release of Leopard (though there probably will be a few) than I am about figuring out how to migrate cleanly from the few applications I still need to use occasionally in Classic, which Apple so unceremoniously deleted from Leopard.
  13. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

    Oct 20, 2007
    I'm waiting until Christmas, mostly because I can't afford it, but I also want a fairly smooth running mac. I have to take my mac in once a month with new glitches anyway, and I don't need to open myself up to any more, thank you. (If you can't tell, I'm glitch prone. If it can happen, it will, with me...)
  14. zioxide macrumors 603


    Dec 11, 2006
    Yeah, for two reasons

    1. because I don't feel like dealing with all these little bugs

    2. I don't have enough cash right now (especially with the $50 increase in edu)

    I'll probably end up getting it for Christmas
  15. byakuya macrumors 6502a


    Jul 26, 2007
    I'm waiting also...
    switched a little while ago (about 6 months now I guess) but I still find new stuff that amazes me so tiger is still "new" to me also:)
  16. XTRanger macrumors member

    Jun 24, 2007
    waiting until 10.5.1 comes out... there seems to be some minor issues with 10.5.0 that is making me stay back from upgrading..........

Share This Page