Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Installing 10.7 on Primary Machine

• I won't and wouldn't recommend it.

Votes: 44 24.2%
  • I will be - we'll see how it goes

Votes: 35 19.2%
  • I have - no major functionality bugs

Votes: 73 40.1%
  • I have - going to have to go back to Snow Leopard

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Don't have access to try

Votes: 23 12.6%

• Total voters

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I'm running it off a separate 40gb partition on my MBP's drive. To early yet for me as a primary OS, probably look to do it after the first or 2nd seed.

That said, might put it as primary OS on my Mac Mini media server. Though no idea if DroboDashboard will work yet on Lion.

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
except for safari i'm a bit disappointed by that so far:/ freezes, empty pages, mouse pointer reusing to click on links etc. kind of annoying

i totally agree with you.
The entire system seems robust, except from Safari. The grayed text on some forms won't disappear as you click on it, sometimes it just refuses to load a website (it just go nowhere), and for God sake it has a ****** flash support.. All websites that uses flash ads keep refreshing time from time.. and theres no way you can close de ads, as clicking leads you refreshing page... thats annoying.. i mean.. i know it is still early beta but c'mom.. the entire system seems to be ok.. why safari?? :confused:
Have trouble with duplicate icons on launchpad... but theres a work around although Apple has to improve this app a lot in my opinion... :apple:

neo25

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2009
Really? What apps do you use regularly? Lion seems relatively stable, but way too many apps I use every day don't work yet:

-iStat
-Dropbox
-Path Finder
-Steam
-1Password
All those apps would have to be updated before I considered making it primary.

There's a work around for dropbox.

Last edited:

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
Installed on MBPro and iMac 24 and so far so good except for few apps that are pretty buggy like VOX and others that don't work (cue splitter)
Pretty happy at the moment despite I find Lion behaviour a little bit erratic sometimes...

berny6969

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
i run 3 days with lion and works perfect,only few problems

-eyetv cant run eyetvcamd(its plugin for open crypted channels),fixit,i run eyetv app on console with sudo command

-hibernate function hang up mi macbook pro 2010 mid,fixit change hibernate with stop screen

-cant remove launchpad apps,fixit ctrl-alt-option and click app

-safari cant open certs of plesk panel and i dont view in pref pane how to add certs

all other things works perfect

Last edited:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've set up a dedicated external for Lion, and a second dedicated external for Lion Time Machine backups. So far, so good!

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
The poll options seem a bit limited. Particularly there's no options to suggest "yes it is on my primary machine, but I installed it on a separate drive/partition, retaining my current SL install".

I put it on a 20GB partition on my MBP. I set it to boot from the Snow Leopard partition by default, and then option boot into either Lion or Win 7.

ajaxodessa

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
Odessa, UA
It's not yet ready to be installed on a working machine. Starting with hangs and crashes in Installer itself and continuing with different behavior even from install to install. For example — new feature which merge folders in Finder (like in old Window ;)) — one installation has no such functionality when next install finally "gave it to me". That's not something that could be used; just overviewed.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
I'm running it on its own partition. Sofar no huge problems. I haven't tried xCode or Itunes. Loving the Safari. It has been a rock for me.

Mac-Michael

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I installed it on a separate 32GB disused Windows XP partition. I wasn't going to be using it as my primary but I carelessly answered Time Machine to encrypt my backups. I thought it would only encrypt the backups but it encrypted the whole 2TB drive, and that's where all my music and movies are. Needless to say they are inaccessible from Snow Leopard so I'm sticking with Lion. It's quite stable and I'm liking Mission Control.

jaswalker24

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
i got a macbook pro 15" running lion but if i plug in head phones or take them out the speakers start skipping :/

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I just went back to snow leopard, Safari is too messed up with how the typing stops functioning after a few minutes, mission control isnt as smooth or as easy to use as expose, not a fan of the grey icons and none of the features were terribly impressive. Suspending apps is virtually unnoticeable, Im not sure what the point of that is, just about everything opens the same speed it always has, I would have preferred effort be put into something more useful.

I miss the bouncy scrolling feedback but thats about it. Usually I will deal with the bugs if the other features are really good but Lion doesnt have any killer features and for some reason has a lot of disadvantages (like monochromatic icons:confused:)

Last edited:

lordimac

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
eyetv cant run eyetvcamd(its plugin for open crypted channels),fixit,i run eyetv app on console with sudo command

Could you please explain what you did? I'm running Lion Golden Master and my eyetvcamd stopped working. You said it should work with opening EyeTV from Terminal with sudo, but I tryed it and it doesn't work (sudo open /Applications/EyeTV.app).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.