Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
I think they’ve basically given up on this and realized that they’ll never be able to compete with Word/Excel/PowerPoint - and I’m fine with that.

It's not that they can't compete with them.
They just don't really care about a competitor for MS Office. iWork is not bad and covers up slightly more than the basics. And that's enough.

No other company in the world (maybe google also) has the highest chance to disrupt Microsoft's monopoly but Apple just doesn't care. To them Microsoft is a software developer and MS Office is a perfect example for the Mac.
I read that their own finance dept. uses Excel via VM!

it's just not part of their strategy (which is very sad, I'm dying to dump MS). In their vacancies you also see a lot of Tableau requirements...

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I can't do my taxes on it...
I actually find this surprising. I see you're from Switzerland, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I've been using Turbo Tax on my iPad and iPhone for years now. When I'm done and everything is filed, then I save the return as a PDF in an encrypted disk image. That's the only time I touch my Mac.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I think the point to make here is that we are not talking about replacing stationary desktops that act as media and data hubs, or professional video editing workstations. I have those too and they are not going nowhere.

This is about mobile computing and the iPad being able to displace a laptop in office work, studies, and mobile personal use cases.

This. In all of these threads there is too much back and forth about th iPad being a "laptop replacement" and a "computer replacement."

I sold my MacBook Pro and purchased a higher no iMac and a. Ew iPad Pro 10.5". The dream is that the iPad can act as my portable computer while the iMac can act as home based and serve traditional computer needs.

I really like how you called the Mac as a "media and data hub." My Mac is attached to external storage for photos, iTunes movies, tv shows, music. Plus, I can organize my files exactly as I want. I don't like to reply in the cloud for everything.

----
Also, I don't want to go iPad only, there are some things that I could do on my iPad, but I enjoy doing them on my Mac. Why settle for one when I can have both.

why-not-both-mexican-girl-why-not-both.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.