Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Since the resolution of the iPad 2 isn't a retina display, I think DVD rips will play just fine. But now I'm wondering what to do for the iPad 3.

For the movies you have on your current iPad, are they HD movies purchased from iTunes or did you convert them yourself? What is the best way to convert? Buy a Blu-ray burner? Do you download the movies off torrents and simply rip them to AAC format?

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Most of mine are ripped from DVD's but some I did buy from iTunes.
But I can't keep all of them on the iPad as I have almost 2 TB full.

Gorion

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
I watch movies/shows from iTunes.

I really hope that Apple allows streaming to iTunes in the future though. The problem that I have with watching movies/tv shows on my iPad (even through Home Sharing) is that I will eventually run out of space. Being able to re-download items through iCould is a good step forward though..

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Depends...are you a cop? :p

I use Handbrake to convert downloaded 720p movies to the AppleTV 2 preset. Maybe I'll start going the 1080p route, though 720p has looked great on my big TVs and they're so much smaller in size compared to 1080p files. IMO, it's not unethical to download a movie if you own the blu ray. You can't use your Mac to rip one so you only have so many choices.

Emoo

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Texas
Most of my digital movies and shows are from rips of my dvd collection. I don't want to pay twice — and sometimes twice as much — for something I already own. I play DVD quality on fullscreen on my laptop, and since the iPad display is smaller and I've watched DVD content on my mom's iPad happily, I don't see it bothering me any.

So basically, I'll be loading mostly my personal DVD rips.

sartios

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2012
London
I use Air Video to stream my 1080p / 720p content from my iMac to my iPhone 4s now, and will do the same with my iPad 3 when it gets released.

paulisme

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
Charleston, SC
Depends...are you a cop? :p

I use Handbrake to convert downloaded 720p movies to the AppleTV 2 preset. Maybe I'll start going the 1080p route, though 720p has looked great on my big TVs and they're so much smaller in size compared to 1080p files. IMO, it's not unethical to download a movie if you own the blu ray. You can't use your Mac to rip one so you only have so many choices.

Of course you can rip Blu-rays with a Mac. It's discussed in the Apple TV forum daily.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Most of my movies that I have in iTunes are my own, but I've been making them for my Apple TV, not the iPad. I've been building my digital movie library with all my Blu-Rays that I own, converting them to a high bit-rate 720p file. But I have kept all the full Blu-Ray MKV files just in case a new Apple TV comes out, which looks like it is. So most likely I'll be queing a bunch of my movies again to make 1080p versions of them. We'll see.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
I was really thinking about this lately. Because I just found handbrake and kind of want a new iPad to carry around instead of always having my MBP. So if it is available before the 15th I might order one and try converting movies onto it. I never download movies from itunes, but that's because I have other means of getting them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.