Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you using iOS 14 automations on your phone?

• No, I am afraid of screwing up my phone

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Yes , I am always looking for new automations to obsess over

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Didn’t know the feature existed

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Get off my tech lawn with your stupid poll questions.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Tried it and was not impressed or have a real need to use

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Has the new automation ability in iOS 14 caused you to use your phone in a different and somewhat more productive or informative manner? If so, what are some of your favorite iOS 14 iPhone automations? I have been using the new automation features a lot more since getting the new iPhone mini.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Has the new automation ability in iOS 14 caused you to use your phone in a different and somewhat more productive or informative manner? If so, what are some of your favorite iOS 14 iPhone automations? I have been using the new automation features a lot more since getting the new iPhone mini.

Gives an example

• Haha
Reactions: GIZBUG

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So far, I have an automation that changes my Apple Watch face from Siri watch face (on weekdays) to that new artist face on weekends, when I am not working and the ability to view my calendar on my wrist is way less useful. Then on Monday mornings, it changes the face back to the Siri watch face.

I tried one that turned on DnD and silent mode whenever I opened Notability (the context was that this happened often in the class and I wanted to disable notifications for incoming mail and messages), but it proved too irritating for when I launched the app elsewhere.

Guess that's the only one that I have found useful thus far?

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
For my charging automation, I have it set where the phone speaks “The phone is now charging” when plugged in and then low power mode is turned. When the phone reaches 100%, music plays to alert me that charging is finished. When I remove the phone the charger, the phone audibly tells me “The phone is no longer charging” and turns off low power mode. I also have an automation that audibly alerts me when the battery drops below 30% as well as 20%.

I also have a automation that automatically puts my watch in silent mode at 8:30pm each night.

Another automation I have automatically sets the sound level to 50% on the AirPod Pros when they are placed in my ears and connected to my phone, iPad or watch.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
I have 2 main ones. One is for when I take the dog a walk, I triple tap the back of the phone and it starts playing a playlist of my favourite tunes! Another is to change my wallpaper at 5pm every day
Love the new customisation options Apple are gradually adding

Reactions: Apple_Robert

sofdog

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Where is this? I did a spotlight search and got the dictionary definition for automation.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I have 2 main ones. One is for when I take the dog a walk, I triple tap the back of the phone and it starts playing a playlist of my favourite tunes! Another is to change my wallpaper at 5pm every day
Love the new customisation options Apple are gradually adding
How did you do the wallpaper one?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
For my charging automation, I have it set where the phone speaks “The phone is now charging” when plugged in and then low power mode is turned. When the phone reaches 100%, music plays to alert me that charging is finished. When I remove the phone the charger, the phone audibly tells me “The phone is no longer charging” and turns off low power mode. I also have an automation that audibly alerts me when the battery drops below 30% as well as 20%.

I also have a automation that automatically puts my watch in silent mode at 8:30pm each night.

Another automation I have automatically sets the sound level to 50% on the AirPod Pros when they are placed in my ears and connected to my phone, iPad or watch.
I made a similar automation and the only thing that bugs me is it still makes the chime when plugging in the cord...

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris

How do you record « The phone is now charging » and then insert it ? I’ve looked but can’t figure it out.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I made a good morning automation last night. At 5am, Siri tells me the current temperature, what it feels like outside, the anticipated high for the day, as well as the chance of rain or snow for the day. I also added Calendar events (for Siri to read) for the day, as well as upcoming reminders.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
This sounds awesome. Will they add more options for the watch? Would love one that notifies me when my S3 is fully charged.

Reactions: bobby68

AlisaFrost

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
I like iPhones for their clever soft. I think Apple makes gadgets the most comfortable for users. I always interesting in new updates because they always make new abilities which really can make your use easier and more comfortable and this is the reason why I like using an iPhone.

Cancelled
Jan 27, 2020
I've been using automations since they added the Shortcuts app but some of the really useful ones (at least to me) is a little "goofy" to work with. For example, I wanted to get an notification when my phone joins a specific WiFi network. You can do that, but what happens is that the automation triggers a notification essentially telling you that it wants to run the automation.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I am working on a new automation and using “Get File” have iCloud Drive picked and the default path is /Shortcuts/example.txt. I put my sound file in iCloud Drive / Shortcuts /my file here I keep getting the error message that the didn’t play because it doesn’t exist. It does show on iCloiud. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.