Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
three days using my new iMac, the only time i have heard the fans is when it is dead silent at night and then it is just a whisper. No clicks either by the way. I have been mostly using photoshop and yet to try out cinema 4d and after effects.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
my fan RPM. This iMac has great heat dispensing without the fan even revving up. The back is always room temperature, never more. I am guessing it sucks in cooler air from the vents down the bottom as the heat naturally rises.

The spike in the 7 days/24 hour bit was a manual fan acceleration to see how noisy it could get (not too noisy either). The flat lines in the 24 hour bit is photoshop usage on 100-200mb psds. blank is sleep time

PS it is the middle of summer for me 35-38 celsius days

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 1.26.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 1.26.49 PM.png
    105.3 KB · Views: 62

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Are you meant to hear the late 2012 iMacs at all ?

Wonder if the "something" broke off or the fan stopped working???

What no :D I turned it slowly and carefully. It's completely fine, clicking or no clicking its such a delicate problem. I guess it happens during shipping when the iMac is moved and tilted. Some cable comes closer to the fan

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
Is the ticking and clicking highly noticeable from away from the computer. ? If i sit away from the Mac I hear air pushing through. If I sit closely and put my head behind the computer I might can hear some clickIng or ticking. Is this normal.

r3ac7

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
My iMac just turned 1 month, it's a 21.5" base model. For the past month I have not heard the fan go on even once. I do not know if it is super quiet, but I personally cannot hear it.

Very impressive.

Will/\

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2012
What no :D I turned it slowly and carefully. It's completely fine, clicking or no clicking its such a delicate problem. I guess it happens during shipping when the iMac is moved and tilted. Some cable comes closer to the fan

When you say you tilted it do you mean you pivoted it on the stand?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
When you say you tilted it do you mean you pivoted it on the stand?

No I leaned it to the side while holding it and while its running. All the way to the table. The sound disappeared for me then. I expect the fan inside the Mac has a couple of cables very close to the fan. The closer they are the more prominent the clicking sounds. So probably during shipping the cables moves a bit and comes too close. Just my theory though :)

Will/\

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2012
No I leaned it to the side while holding it and while its running. All the way to the table. The sound disappeared for me then. I expect the fan inside the Mac has a couple of cables very close to the fan. The closer they are the more prominent the clicking sounds. So probably during shipping the cables moves a bit and comes too close. Just my theory though :)

OMG thank you sooooooooo much just held it on its side while on and it sounds like it may be fixed, touch wood. Oh no its back ******. Whyyyy.

Must be the HDD then may contact Apple tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.