Are you more Bumper or Pouch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MacGiver, Jul 29, 2010.

1. MacGiver macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

I just received my iPhone free Apple bumper...the basic black one. I was not convinced at all with the bumper (Appler and others) but found this one quiet nice on my iP4. Nevertheless, I have always been used to protect my iPhones with pouches...For the simple reason that it is a better protection and allow you to use your iPhone naked...Also, even though I find the apple bumper nice, I really question the protection aspect of it...even with a bumper, having it in your pocket or bad will for sure scratch it over time...

That are my thoughts and beleive I am still going to get a pouch (Beyzacases most probably) but I am interested in different views and why a bumper would be better (In term of protection) vs. a pouch...

Thoughts?

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I personally love my Apple bumper. I dropped my iphone a few times, the bumper safed my phone. In addition to the bumper, I taped invis shields both back and front.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Don't use a bumper or a pouch. I use a standard case. Of the two choices though, I'd use a pouch as it protects the phone more. I don't see why you'd protect the steel but not the glass. Although it seems pretty clear it was meant for the antenna imo.

4. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

i bought a sena slim leather pouch when i first got my 3g. only used it for a couple times. it was a hassle bringing the phone out then putting it back in, i was afraid it might slip and hit the ground too.

never had a case either, i didnt' want to hide the phone. always had an invisible skin on it. but for the 4 i think i'll put a case on when i'm out with my friends or doing outdoor things just to be safe.

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i got invis shields on both front and back, the bumper and a pouch is on the way, but the pouch is only for my pocket bc the invis shields attract dust and junk to them

6. bobright macrumors 601

7. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

Kind of agree with you...

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

How is a pouch protective? Isn't the iPhone most likely to fall or hit something when in use? The second you take it out of the pouch it is entirely vulnerable.

9. MacGiver thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacGiver

You are not wrong...but my theory is if it falls...it falls. I hate cases so I exclude this protection from my theory. Then it leaves the bumper which is to me worse than a pouch because first if it falls naked or with a bumper, the chances to see your iP4 back or front glass are very close...secondly, when not in use i prefer to see my iPhone in a pouch...it is more secure vs. being in a bumper where the screen and back are exposed to any dust that could scratch the glass. Even if you think your bag or pocket is clean, you always have dust, sand-like residues.

Nevertheless, i like the bumper look...but I am too scared of having scratches pretty quickly...espcially when i read comments about people reporting the iP4 glass being much more fragile in spite of what Apple said...

10. Fisher624 macrumors regular

I have a Sena Ultra Slim and a black bumper. I have been going back and forth, but I keep coming back to the pouch over the bumper. I agree it is a minor PITA to take it out of the pouch to answer a call/text, but the phone is so nice naked. Although it is as slippery as a greased pig.

11. bobright macrumors 601

Put a shield on it then Bumper over, and call it a day. If you're one of those ew it will degrade my retina screen then quit whining and live with it vulnerable to the the outside world.

12. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I prefer using my phone naked, so I am more a pouch guy....

13. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Same here, except I haven't dropped my phone... yet

14. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

I'm using a normal case (a black rubber skin). 3GS here though, not 4.

15. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Pouch. I prefer to use my phone naked and the only times I've dropped my phone was out of my pocket, letting the pouch protect it.

16. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I was using a pouch during my whole 3G era. I started for my iP4 era too but switched. I think ill use my rubber rocketfish case at work and pouch at home.

17. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I've hated every case I've used on all of my iPhones so far... The normal wear & tear doesn't bother me.. Let's face it, most of us are replacing these things pretty often anyway (like every time a new one comes out lol) so it's not a big deal.. I've played around with a bumper and think this one might actually work for my admittedly odd tastes.. The bumper actually will provide some protection from drops- some being the key word... I've broken a few screens over the years and without fail every single time I broke the screen from a drop it came as a result of the phone landing on the corner.. The bumper WILL help there.. It also will keep the glass slightly elevated when laying flat- like it would if it where sliding across the ground...

Who knows? That's what I'm hoping for anyway- we'll see... I'm HOPING the bumper will be a nice balance of protection and keeping the phone as close to naked as possible

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

Bumper, but only for grip.

In most of my previous phones, I went naked. Not for the iP4. It is too slippery. Just waiting for the free one to arrive so I can protect the back completely.

19. tmerritt530 macrumors member

I am all about the iSkin, when they finally release it for iphone 4.

20. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Pouch all the way. I hate phone cases, so a pouch helps protect the phone while also allowing me to use it naked (though with a screen protector). I use the leather pouch that came with my Samsung Instinct, but if I ever lost that, I'd get the Sena Ultraslim pouch.

21. DARKiLLUSiON macrumors 6502

Don't have one yet but planning on to get the bumper since it doesn't fully hide the phone but yet sorta protect it :D