Are you picky about LCD screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Feb 26, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Dead pixels and everything aside, are you picky about which screen you get, since if you pick up a few of the display models you'll notice they all look a little different (due to calibration or LCD manufacturer or whatever)?

Just wondering, thanks.

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I've had a couple exchanges, and I've had a couple different screens.

I've had the really blue one, the kind of yellow-ish one, and the one that has horizontal 'scan lines' (or whatever they are) when you look and it and move it around.

The one I have now, the slightly yellow one, seems to be the best of the bunch so far. At first I only wanted the blue, super 'cool' temp screen ... but after having this warmer one, I'm starting to really like it.

I dunno ... I'm not super picky about it, but some screens are definitely better than others.

3. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Nope

4. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

nope, seeing as how it has pretty much no effect on the phone, and you only really notice the color temp when you compare it to other phones

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I actually returned my touch because it was so yellow, but the replacement wasn't much better. I returned that one too, and the new one is great. My iPhone (which I've exchanged four times) had never had a problem with screen color - only dust under the glass and backlight bleed.

I like to return my iPods and iPhones as much as possible though, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. ;)

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I actually prefer the yellowish tint over the blue tint. The yellow tint looks more natural and more like my Apple Cinema Display.

Also, my first 3 iPhone 3Gs had the scanlines and luckily my 4th iPhone 3G is perfect.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I preferred my original iPhone EDGE screen to my current yellow-tinted 3G screen, but it isn't that big of a deal to me. It is not as though I'm editing color critical photos on it like on my MacBook Pro.

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

What are scanlines exactly?

Also, how about other people? Just curious for more input!

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have no problems with my iPod, MBP or 20" AOC screens. The 19" HP ones at work, on the other hand, are horrendous. Greens turn pink when you look at them from the "wrong" angle! :eek:

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

there is definitely a lot of screen variation. pick up a few of the floor models at the apple store and you'll see. fire up the calculator app and it becomes more apparent the way the background texture is rendered.

Not sure if anyone cares though.

11. Untaken macrumors member

I'm definitely picky. Most of the screens I've had looked like @#$%. I finally got Apple to fork over a new, sealed iPhone as a replacement and it's the worst one of all (really nasty scan lines). The screen issues more than anything else are what's gonna make me take the new iPhone model back for a full refund if they haven't gotten their @#$% together by then.

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Besides scan lines (and probably dead pixels), what are you picky about?

And do ALL iPhones have scan lines? (is that where you almost see interlacing?)

13. Untaken macrumors member

All the iPhones I've seen have had scan lines to some degree, though it's much worse on others (this inconsistency BS is what Apple really needs to work on). And yes, those lines are the "interlacing" effect you speak of.

The stuff that bugs me (besides the scan lines) is:

1. Dust between the diffuser and LCD. This shows up as shimmering white specs on dark screens, specs that seem to change color and even disappear depending on the angle of the display. Essentially, they look like stuck pixels but they are actually dust particles BEHIND the LCD itself. I've seen these show up on EVERY iPhone I've ever examined, and if you don't think they're on yours you probably just haven't noticed it yet.

2. Poor dithering on certain gradients, such as the gray-to-black on the "slide to unlock" bar. On my first few iPhones this looked just fine, however on every single iPhone I've seen since then it looks aweful. Instead of a smooth transition from gray to black you get a smattering of gray pixels that seem to move around if there is any other activity on the display. You think I'm full of crap? Set your lockscreen wallpaper to the default Earth one. Now watch just above the word "unlock" on the "slide to unlock" bar. Chances are you can see a bunch of gray pixels shifting around as the color of the text changes from gray to white.

So yeah, like I said, I'm picky, but I shouldn't have to be. Apple should put the same quality components in every single iPhone. It's like Best Buy selling a $3000 home entertainment package, and in one package someone gets a nice high-end Samsung HDTV and in another package someone else gets some piece of @#$% Vizio. Fact is, I pay the same price as everyone else so I should get the same quality as everyone else.

14. supernova59 macrumors newbie

I am Picky Too

I totally agree with you. But I want a tablet with some power to it. A good processor and a good graphics card. So I can do all my work and gaming and not have to go “Gosh, I wish this thing had some more power to it.”

15. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

So you still put up the swap at the genius bar fight and get them swapped?

And do you complain about the screen, or do you get it replaced because of other reasons? thanks

16. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I'm not picky about my screen, you can only notice if it's slightly blue or slightly yellow when you compare it to another iPhone. It would be cool to have a temperature slider to set the color you want, but it's not a big enough problem for me to raise hell over it.

wow now you are just looking for ANY excuse to replace your iPhone

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=693557

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=658137

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=688487

Seriously how many threads do you need ?

17. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

light leak, and loose vibrate switch are both concerns. im wondering what peoples thoughts are on the lcd panel, sorry!

18. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

nope not picky. i have tiny stress cracks on the inside along the edge of the glass. its not on the outside. oh well. phone still works perfectly.

19. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Yeah i guess i should learn to not be picky. if it works, it works.