Are You Purchasing the Pixel?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by v0lume4, Oct 4, 2016.

1. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Well, it's official. After all the leaks and speculation, Google officially announced the Pixel today. Unfortunately, I wasn't really WOW'd by the presentation, but for someone that hasn't used Android since version 2.2, I think the Pixel will be a nice phone to jump into and try Android again with. I gotta say, I'm surprised by the SUPER-fast charging and impressive camera.

Does anyone here think they'll get one? I'll probably pick one up later this year (fingers crossed that they'll drop the price a little bit!).

2. xaqt93 macrumors 6502

xaqt93

Too expensive. I don't really like android. I tried it for a little bit with a Samsung Note 4 and it just felt weird and kind of put together with bits and pieces...Haha. Anyway, If the price drops, I may try it but I have been with the iPhone since the iPhone 4S and so far, I just always go back. Its mainly iOS that has gotten my addicted. The hardware isn't that impressive.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Already did. Black Pixel XL, 128GB from Google Store online. :D

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

Nope.

32GB Pixel - $649
    128GB Pixel - 749

32GB Pixel XL - $769
    128GB Pixel XL - $869

5. samcraig macrumors P6

All I will say is - if you want to do VR, I encourage 128GB. 32 (even with photos/videos uploaded to google photos) will be tight.

6. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Nope. Google is out of their minds. Good luck trying to sway those on the OPO3, iPhone, or Galaxy phones to pay $649 - $800+ for that.

7. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I have a Nexus 6. Was looking forward to what the Pixel would bring to the table.

Pretty disappointed overall. The look in the front with the silly huge iphone bezels and the lack of wireless charging were negatives for me.

Not going to buy.

8. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Heck no not at those prices. If I want a premium phone I might as well get a iPhone. Sorry but I love my 6P perfect Android phone at a affordable price.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2016 ---
    Get a 6P the prices should drop more now. It is the best Android smartphone.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Why? Normal folks who just purchased any of those new models of course wouldn't be upgrading. But if you're using a 2 year old phone, these prices are right in line with what you'd pay for any new iPhone or Galaxy device. Hell, I just checked and it would cost me just short of $800 for a Galaxy S7 edge and these Pixels are priced exactly the same with comparable hardware.

10. v0lume4 thread starter macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I do think that Google overpriced themselves a bit. Imagine the allure of a $499 flagship phone like the Pixel. I don't think that Google needs the money--perhaps it's a psychology thing. People will perceive it as an iPhone competitor more due to the price. I'd knock Google for selling so-so hardware at high prices, but Apple does it too. Apple does it better than anyone. It's all about the user experience and marketing.

11. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

This is where it stands on my to buy list. May move up or down based on initial reviews.

Galaxy Gear S3 Frontier
    DJI Mavic Pro
    Galaxy Note 8
    Galaxy Note 7
    Pixel XL
    iPhone 6S Plus
    iPhone 7 Plus

12. v0lume4 thread starter macrumors 68000

v0lume4

OH SNAP! Chime in here on the forums once you get yours! Tell us all about it! :D

13. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

When did you order? The 128GB option in all colors of Pixel XL show out of stock.

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

We already know what happens with Android devices...give it a month or so, you'll be able to get them for half the price from online stores. That's why I would never buy a Samsung device on day 1. Those prices drop realllllly quick.

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yeah, more money than sense, apparently. :p

I'm not selling either of my current phones (6s+ and 6P) yet so worse case scenario, it just gets returned.

Did just notice over at the Google Store that I'm gonna get the Daydream View free for preordering, so that's a nice little bonus.
    Happened to pull the webpage up right as I saw the Keynote feed go offline and there they were. Order went straight through (something that usually doesn't happen when I preorder an iPhone--yes, I realize the scale of preorders is far different ;)).

Update: Just checked the store and I could order a Pixel XL Black 128GB right now for delivery in 2-3 weeks. Try refreshing the page?

16. v0lume4 thread starter macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Pretty great list you got there. I am nuts about the DJI Mavic. I think I'll pick one up by year's end as well.
    Pre-orderers get the View for free?

I was going to wait until later this year to order, but now... Oh no. I can feel myself opening that new tab right now. Don't do it! :p

17. TrumpsWithUs macrumors newbie

TrumpsWithUs

You are kidding right? 2 year old iPhone 6 is still faster than a brand new Note 7. Sorry, Apple may charge more than the components cost for the iPhone, but if you think Apple's hardware is so-so then you are on another planet. You can't even get Android sites to say something that foolish. This Pixel is not even in so-so range.

18. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

At $500 i would have been in but not for $650.

19. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 2.18.44 PM.jpg

20. v0lume4 thread starter macrumors 68000

v0lume4

On the topic of silicon, you are absolutely right. Apple's SoC's trump (see what I did there) every other smartphone SoC on the market. They are monsters.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Just bought the 7+. No go for me. Look forward to the reviews

22. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Only with useless synthetic benchmarks. In real world use the iPhone 6 has cheap bendable aluminum, touch disease design defect, anemic 1GB DRAM that causes frequent app and Safari tab reloads, slow Safari browser scrolling, Siri is airheaded and useless, iOS 10 is buggy as F and lacks features that Android and Touchwiz have had for years, etc. iPhone 6 series is a lemon that should've never been sold.

23. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

24. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Nope, why overspend when a 6p will do the job? Heck a Chinese mid grade phone will do the job for 1/3 of the price. But that's just myself.
    Apple's hardware is so-so, but that's TO ME and my personal opinion and what I use as a metric. But Apple has incredible brand loyalty and can afford to do what it does. Google doesn't have that and can't afford to release a subpar phone in 2016.