Are you running Windows 10 on a 5k Retina iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by steve23094, Mar 12, 2015.

1. steve23094, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

So here is the scoop.

I bought a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro (Full version) off eBay in October last year.

I thought I did enough due diligence, the seller had a long eBay history with no negative comments. I also phoned Microsoft to check the license was legit and they confirmed as much. Just today MS revoked my license so I called them and they confirmed the key had been used on multiple computers. The seller has since had their eBay and PayPal account suspended and I suspect this is the reason why. I have opened a case with PayPal and fully expect to get my money back, if PayPal don't play ball I intend to do a credit card charge back.

So what to do now? I want a copy of Windows to run games under Bootcamp so virtualisation is out of the question. I figure my options are:-

1. Buy a copy of Windows 8.1 from MS for £180. This is really not going to happen. At this price I really feel like they are pushing me into using illegal software. It's particularly galling knowing they only charged £30 when it was released.

2. Just keep buying copies from somewhere like eBay and hope I get a good one. If each copy gets me 4 months use before being revoked I can still buy 6 copies before I pay as much as what MS charges (stupid huh?). And Win 10 will be out well before then.

3. Stick two fingers up to MS and just find a dodgy key, it would serve them right for charging mental money.

4. Load my 5k Retina iMac with Windows 10 now, and therein lies my question. Have you installed it on your 5k? Is it currently stable? Any things I should be wary of? Is Bootcamp compatible? Can I upgrade straight from my current install?

Thanks.

2. nlr macrumors 6502

3. gobes macrumors member

4. steve23094 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve23094

I was sooo close to buying a new license, glad I didn't now that MS have said that Windows 10 will be free.

5. fathergll macrumors 6502a

I've used Windows 10 via Parallels and had to uninstall because it was too glitchy. I had my entire screen go black for no reason. I'm sticking with Windows 7 on my Retina until 10 is fully supported.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

I'd say you are too late to dispute your charge, and likely too late for Paypal Buyer protection.

Curious, did the copy come in a sealed MS Package?

7. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Win 8.1 is 80 pounds new on Amazon.

----------

Sadly they are not making it that easy. Win 10 is only free if you are already running Win 7 or 8/8.1 and update within the first year. It's only a marketing ploy to get traction on the early adoption rates. So you will need another copy of Win 7 or 8/8.1 and upgrade to Win 10 in the first year while it may be iffy and buggy to get it for free.

They pulled a Micro$oft right their ;)

8. steve23094 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve23094

You get something like six months to dispute through PayPal. My PayPal account is linked to my credit card so if they didn't play ball I was going to request a charge back.

Anyway it didn't matter in the end, PayPal ruled in my favour and refunded my money. I guess PayPal eat the cost and/or take legal proceedings against the offender, I clearly wasn't the only one duped because the account had already been closed.

No, nothing was ever posted to me, a key was emailed.

9. boast macrumors 65816

boast

10. steve23094 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve23094

Yeah. I have seen the story change three times now. First it was free for unlicensed versions (like mine), then it wasn't, now it looks like it might be free again. It looks a lot like they haven't made up their mind yet. I'm going to sit it out for the moment and see what develops.