• Between

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

icecone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
With all cool features, new look, improved UI, blue screen of death, freezing, and backward incompatibility, are you SATISFIED with leopard?:confused:

pocketrockets

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2006
Love the new look. Love Spaces. Love how I have Front Row on my PPC.

Expose is just as slow as molasses though........

~J~

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
I'm happy with it now, but admittedly, a little disappointed. Kinda feels like :apple: rushed it to market to meet their own deadline. Some basic stuff is missing or there but not working. Lots of little things. However, I LOVE spaces (use it on a daily basis) - I think it is especially useful on laptops. Time Machine is a simple, but effective, backup solution. It could definitely stand to have a little more functionality... but its ok as is. I love the new dock - and dont see why so many people dont like it and think its ugly. I think it looks awesome.

I'm sure that when 10.5.1 is released in a couple/few weeks it will fix lots of these "minor" issues (ie - the DVD read error on MBPs when installing - VERY annoying). Its going to get better, people just have to be patient. Going back to Tiger now just creates more work for them as they are going to update back to Leo once 10.5.1 comes out, but oh well... you kids have fun! Leo is a great product, especially compared to the alternatives (dare I say, Vista??!). Im happy and will be using it until 10.6 comes out on a new MBP line... in which time I will be upgrading my system (hopefully to a quad-mobile!)

Leo gets a 7 out of 10 from me. Plenty of room for improvement, but pretty solid at the moment.

kixsand

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Toronto
I will be satisfied once I get everything working as it should be.

I have had nothing but trouble with it but the little bit of it that I saw before my computer became unusable was freakin' fantastic.

I did an erase and install last night and left for work this morning while a restore was chugging away...so I'll see how things look tonight.

Given the trouble I've had I find it remarkable that I'm still excited about the OS.

Darren

neilhart

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
SF Bay Area - Fremont
Going to revert to my image backup of Tiger on my MBP!

Why:

- Local Area Networking is iffy in Leopard. Spent too much time learning how to manually mount XP Shares. And they have a mind of their own, meaning they disappear and then reappear (and I do not have time to sort this out).

- Shared printers is just an extension of the problem with shares on LANs above.

- Spaces and Parallels(3.0) clash. Most likely if Spaces is active and I bring up XP/Paralles and then sometime later I close it; then the next time I try to open XP/Paralles I get an error. It requires a reboot to get back into the application.

- WiFi connection has become unstable after returning from the Sleep mode (may require a reboot to regain WiFi connectivity). This is intermittent.

- Spotlight seems to be indexing only part of the system drive. I have had to manually locate files that I knew were present. Other times the search seems to be complete. Again I just don't have the time to deal with it.

This is after 4 days. I have only scratched the surface of Leopard on the MBP. But I need the rock solid machine back to get on with business. I have a bootable Leopard image on a FW drive so that I can check back as updates come out (and I have a Leopard G4 Mac Mini).

Neil

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Very satisfied here - to the extent that this is probably the most positive experience I've had with a new version of any OS.

The MBP DVD read errors, accessing windows shares, shared printers problems mentioned above have not been evident here (4 machines so far, 2x G5, 17" MBP, brand new iMac). I use shared printers and smb networking all day, every day without issue.

So far, everything (and I DO mean everything) works - albeit I had to re-compile a CUPS printer driver for the iMac, but that's an Intel thing, not a Leopard thing. I'm a little taken aback, to tell the truth, as I think this is the first time ever.... *grin*

9.5 out of 10. It'd have the other .5 if it supported my old G4-400 that I use as a file server ;-)

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
Very satisfied so far.

I first installed it on my first gen Intel iMac and played with it for a few days to make sure there were no gotchas. I installed in on my wife's MB (also first gen Intel) yesterday and it's working perfectly. I'll do the Mini HTPC tonight.

But so far I've made sure to have a bootable clone of the Tiger install before upgrading. I can always go back any time.

My highlights: Quick View, Spaces, Screen Sharing, tabbed/themed Terminal, much improved Spotlight (I now use it as the app launcher), new FrontRow UI.

HyperX

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2004
Nieuwegein, Netherlands
Its FAR FAR too buggy. Feels rushed, feels Beta. Put the bun back in the oven...

So much promise, many things I do like, but I didnt pay 129 to beta test ;\ Sleep Issues, Driver Issues, and general silly bug on a 2.2 Macbook Pro 15" SR ;\

icecone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Its FAR FAR too buggy. Feels rushed, feels Beta. Put the bun back in the oven...

So much promise, many things I do like, but I didnt pay 129 to beta test ;\ Sleep Issues, Driver Issues, and general silly bug on a 2.2 Macbook Pro 15" SR ;\
It's quite unbelievable that this was called "no known issues" before it's released.
what were the developers doing?:mad:

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Just got my first kernel panic ever (I mean I've never had one before in my life running any OSX) all thanks to my airport card and Leopard.:eek::mad::(

cvkimball

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Disappointing

A lot of hype, not much substance.

Expected much more from an Apple GUI.

The Servers sidebar doesn't work.

It's messed up my Eclipse ant task.

No improvements in rendering Hebrew fonts.

Won't get 10.6 until 6 months after announcement.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Round Lake, IL
Very Satisfied.

Everything is working beautifully. No issues at all. Spaces, Expose, Stacks, Time Machine, and everything else works perfectly. ElGato was quick with an updated version of EyeTV that resolved the only bug I had experienced involving Spaces and EyeTV running in fullscreen.

Only 2 things disappoint me with Leopard:

1.) Front Row stops whatever is currently playing in iTunes

2.) Stacks needs the ability to set a specific icon for each stack.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'm in between. Very optimistic, it's got wonderful features and mostly works great, but needs some fixes before I get to the completely satisfied stage.

Than again, I'm a power user and a tech, so I'm more demanding and I notice problems more easily than most.

jW

MyMac8MyPC

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Leopard is fine and will get even better as third party programs start to work out thier kinks. What I don't like is that Time Machine is not compatible with Apples own FileVault :rolleyes: Apparently I'm not alone on this as I've seen many complaints regarding FileVault/Leopard problems. Hopefully they will fix this but by then many people will have stopped using FileVault altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.