Are you satisified with your mid-2012 rMBP 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andreyush, Jul 19, 2016.

1. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Hi MacRumors
    How are you hanging with your 15" Mid 2012 rMbp so far ? :D
    Any staingate problems or gpu failures ? Are the performances enough for you (CPU,GPU,SSD)? Do you have in mind to buy a newer model?

I am just curious to see if rmbp 2012 it's fading away or it's still going strong :D

2. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

Mine faded away. I sold mine a few months ago. The warranty had run out and I was running out of storage. I wasn't a fan of the external hard drive. I had the maxed out 2012 with 750GB SSD.

I replaced it with a 2012 cMBP with the high resolution matte screen. I much prefer the matte screen to the glossy screen. The retina is a bit better than the high res screen but it doesn't make a huge difference to me.

I installed a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro. I might get a 2TB SSD when the price comes down or swap out the optical drive for a second drive.

The cMBP that I bought (used) was a 2.3 but it's more than fast enough because I can't tell the difference. I use Aperture, Photoshop and iMovie.

I think this will keep me going for a few more years. I may think about upgrading after the warranty runs out on my current machine. It has Applecare until the end of the year!

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

...bought a liquid damaged rMBP 15" Mid 2012 for a bargain when the Retina MacBook Pro first came out

...took out the logic board and mail the logic board in for repair

...reinstall the repaired logic board

>>My sister's still using it

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

My 2012 rMBP 15" still running STRONG and only one issue with staingate. No other hard wares problem so far. Apple Care just expired 6 months ago so gotta careful with it.

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

First-owner 2012 15" rMBP still going strong. Still loving it. History: ordered 1-2 days after announcement, received a unit with LG screen and immediately exchanged it (not because of image retention -- I didn't even know of the image retention kerfuffle at the time -- but because of terribly inconsistent white point across the screen). Got second unit with above-average-but-not-perfect Samsung screen, which I am still using to this day.

It is base-model 2.3GHz, only thing I BTO'd was the RAM which I upped to 16GB. Within the past month, I finally upgraded the internal flash from the stock 256GB to the 1TB Transcend JetDrive. Roomy!

Unit has never been serviced. Almost makes me wish I never added AppleCare to it and pocketed the $300 instead. Still looks brand-new. No staingate issues, no NVidiagate issues, no nothing! (Now watch it suddenly break down after posting this...)

I take it back: I had ONE issue that was covered while under warranty: the Magsafe 2 connector on the end of the power adapter started coming apart and fraying. They sent me a new power brick. I know, exciting right?

-- Nathan

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My 2012 rMBP is still going strong, I alternate between that and a Surface Pro 3 for my mobility needs. My kids use the laptop almost every day, so its getting a lot of work these days.

7. zerrisk macrumors member

zerrisk

Mine's still going strong, just need to upgrade to more storage, but I'm too stingy for that (since the SSD choices are limited I think?).

8. Schranke macrumors 6502

Schranke

Mine died...
    Had the screen replaced 2 times, it was well underway to burn a hole in my table under extreme use, i suspected it of having a minor hardware failure or 2 and the battery was worn out.
    Lucky enough that my insurance pay $2000 when it dropped and broke due to a accidental yank in a cable connected...
    Waiting for an updated rMBP before i buy a new one. have a 13" 2011 cMBP at my disposal for now:)

But i was happy with the machine while i had it, but i could feel the age towards the end:(

9. NathanA macrumors 6502a

They're starting to get better! Instead of doing OWC or Transcend, you can now get an adapter for your 2012 model that allows you to fit either a standard mSATA drive or a standard M.2/NGFF drive (as long as it is a SATA model with "B-keyed" slot). I just did this for my MacBook Air (and might've done it for my Pro as well, if I knew these existed before I bought the Transcend) and it's great...was able to go from stock 128GB to 256GB for $70 + the price of the adapter. Granted, if you want to go to 1TB your options are still limited...it's hard enough to find 1TB drives in the 2280 NGFF size, and the MacBook Pro Retina 2012 can only accommodate the shorter 2260 size. But still!

-- Nathan

10. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

I am so glad to read your answers ! Except yours Schranke :( ...RIP rMBP :(.
    I am happy that I've never experienced problems with my rMBP ( staingate or gpu failures) and I will not upgrade untill something more powerfull and more "shocking" will appear. Personally I don't think the new macbook pro will be a big improvement :/ maybe I am wrong :D.

11. knudsen2, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

knudsen2 macrumors member

Love mine too, replaced the battery 1 year ago (probably charges 1 cycle/day). Had some random freezes in 14 and 15, but apple would'nt cover (love the "you're eglible", and after testing it they say "oh sorry its not that problem we cover". Wtf, the symptoms were the exact same!). But problem has somehow gone away - maybe global warming effects the solder? :) Looking forward to seeing the new models, however there is really no characteristic I have a need to upgrade, no more than if I had a large mercedes and wanted to upgrade to a ferrari :rolleyes:

12. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

Just sold my 2012 BTO 15.4 rMBP. I loved that machine. Had the battery replaced under warranty and they put a new keyboard. Works like new. But it was out of warranty.. and I moved to the MB. I am anxiously waiting for the new model! I do miss the power and the screen is nice but i feel the keyboard keys are too apart once I started being more familiar with the macbook. I might consider getting it again if I don't like the new model or want to save money and need all the ports.

13. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I bought my 2012 15" rMBP in December 2012 and it's still going strong. About six months after I bought it my screen developed image retention, but Apple replaced it with a nice Samsung screen. I haven't had it serviced since then and there have been no problems with it, but I don't take it out much as it is docked to my Thunderbolt Display (TBD) at home. The battery only has 140 cycles.

Since getting the rMB (2015 and now 2016) I've debated selling my rMBP as I use my rMB 90% of the time, but I have a weird setup that is only possible with my current machines. I also have a 2014 mini that I am using right now solely as a Steam streaming server with my eGPU. The TBD will only work with an eGPU via Optimus in Windows, so I could do this with my mini but I tried and lose about 30% in performance.

So I have the 15" rMBP hooked up to my TBD and stream Steam (wired connection) from the mini to it. This gives me better performance than the Optimus/TBD combination and allows me to game with my TBD, which I am rather fond of, but it requires two computers.

I know, this is a ridiculous setup and it is more logical to sell the rMBP and TBD, buy a new monitor, and then use the mini and eGPU with that new monitor for the best performance. I just haven't been able to find a monitor that I like as much as the TBD (IPS, integrated speakers, webcam, microphone, and a good design) so I'm keeping this setup for now.

Anyway, I've gotten way off topic. I've had my 2012 15" rMBP and, besides the image retention that was quickly resolved, I've had zero issues with it. It's been a fantastic computer for me after nearly four years.

14. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

I got rid of my thunderbolt too. I loved the setup with rMBP.. just I too use my rMB 90% of the time. The integration (TBD) is awesome with rMBP. I suggest any new owners consider getting it because there are a lot of good deals to be had. Personally I will wait and see what Apple will launch. For now it is LG 4k 27".

15. andreyush thread starter macrumors 6502

andreyush

How much do you like the new Macbook Pro so far from what you heard and read about it ? :D Is it "Pro" anymore ? Or just a beautiful "must have" laptop ?

16. jerryk macrumors 68030

I just got a 2015 15 rMBP. I live it better than any other MacBook Pro I have owned. The retina screen is a good as everyone says and at 4.5 lbs it is quite light for such a powerful machine. They are now selling at quite a discount from the list price of $2499. I paid about $2120 on Amazon. It turned out to be almost as cheap to get new as a 2014 Apple refurb.