Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you still using the True Tone feature on the 9.7 iPad Pro?

• Yes, I love it and keep it on all the time.

Votes: 181 78.4%
  • I use it about 50/50 or occasionally use.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • I rarely have True Tone on, or don't use it at all.

Votes: 39 16.9%

• Total voters

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Now that the dust has settled, I'm curious to know how many of you are still using and enjoying the True Tone feature, and how many don't use it at all. I initially thought I liked True Tone, but got over it after a few days and personally do not feel it enhances my display viewing experience. I've turned it on a few times since then to see if my opinion has changed, but no, I definitely tend to prefer the cooler display tones overall.

What do you think?

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Well, I'm loving Night Shift. I had to adjust it a little cooler than default, but it makes the display look so much nicer at night. I'm pretty sure I would love True Tone.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I tend to forget TT is enabled, but at night when I compare it to my iPhone 6 is looks lovely, and the 6 looks aggressively blue rather than the iPp looking yellow.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Love it. When I pick up my iPad 4 it's immediately apparent how blue and un-natural that screen is.

I've been calibrating my TV screens for years, and it's the same way; a good calibration looks extremely warm when you are used to the overly vivid and increasingly blue default calibrations TV's come with from the factory. It's nice to see a major manufacturer finally working to reverse that trend.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Nice to see that so far most of you are still happy with the feature. To be clear, I've no complaints, since it's something I can turn off. And I'll probably still use Night Shift or True Tone for reading at night.

Love it. When I pick up my iPad 4 it's immediately apparent how blue and un-natural that screen is.

I've been calibrating my TV screens for years, and it's the same way; a good calibration looks extremely warm when you are used to the overly vivid and increasingly blue default calibrations TV's come with from the factory. It's nice to see a major manufacturer finally working to reverse that trend.

But in terms of decent color accuracy (and if you do a lot of image-based work on the iPad), True Tone isn't ideal, which is why it automatically switches off in the Photos app.

Last edited:
Reactions: tgara

gp101

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Middle Earth
I really am very happy with true tone! When flicking back and forth between my MacBook (with flux off), there is certainly a noticeable difference and I've pretty much gotten used to the iPad screen so much that the MacBook's screen seems a bit off :D

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
But in terms of decent color accuracy (and if you do a lot of image-based work on the iPad), True Tone isn't ideal, which is why it automatically switches off in the Photos app.

The blue-ish slant of the 'standard' screen isn't great for accuracy either, it's just that it's consistent, and keeps other elements of the otherwise very well calibrated screen accurate. You still need to account for the fact that your pictures are represented with a blue shift on the iPad screen, even with True Tone off.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
True Tone is just rubbish IMHO ! Takes away the display quality which iPad and iPhone screens are known for. I quite like the bluish white display of my iPad-3 ! And yeah Night Shift is just yuck !

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
The ONLY time I turn TT off is when I'm watching movies or the NHL playoffs - fabulous for iBooks.
[doublepost=1462293765][/doublepost]
True Tone is just rubbish IMHO ! Takes away the display quality which iPad and iPhone screens are known for. I quite like the bluish white display of my iPad-3 ! And yeah Night Shift is just yuck !

Looking at your previous posts you DON'T own a 9.7 iPad Pro so I'm curious how you arrived at your opinion on TT and Night Shift?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
By playing with it in an Apple Store ! You don't need to own it to know what it is !

The ambient lighting inside an Apple store is not of the sort that would alter the screen on a true tone equipped iPad in any significant way, as it is very close to the ~7k set-point that the display is calibrated against. So viewing an iPad in an Apple store will be nearly identical whether true tone is on or off.

iPad screens, like almost all other modern screens, have been trending towards too much blue for many years now. It's trendy, and makes people think it's fresh and modern, but just like the 16:9 fight many of us waged for years before finally getting (at least a few) manufacturers to listen, there are significant drawbacks. For movie playback, no professionally calibrated display will look anywhere near that blue, so 'accurate' is also relative to what the screen is used for.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
The ambient lighting inside an Apple store is not of the sort that would alter the screen on a true tone equipped iPad in any significant way, as it is very close to the ~7k set-point that the display is calibrated against. So viewing an iPad in an Apple store will be nearly identical whether true tone is on or off.

iPad screens, like almost all other modern screens, have been trending towards too much blue for many years now. It's trendy, and makes people think it's fresh and modern, but just like the 16:9 fight many of us waged for years before finally getting (at least a few) manufacturers to listen, there are significant drawbacks. For movie playback, no professionally calibrated display will look anywhere near that blue, so 'accurate' is also relative to what the screen is used for.

Bluish White Display for me ! Any Day !

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I still use True Tone and don't even think about it. My screen looks white and when I turn on other devices after using the Pro, their screens look blue. It's easy on the eyes, the colors look natural and I love it. You do have to get used to it. When you first turn it on the screens looks yellowish for a moment and then white.

Reactions: Simacca

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
This poll will always come back as YES because those who want to justify the extra money spent vs just getting the ipad air 2 will never admit to being wrong that its useless. So they will not actually use it, but they will post here that they do because this is the internet, and this is how people are. /endthread

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This poll will always come back as YES because those who want to justify the extra money spent vs just getting the ipad air 2 will never admit to being wrong that its useless. So they will not actually use it, but they will post here that they do because this is the internet, and this is how people are. /endthread
I use True Tone, Apple Pencil, the Smart Keyboard, the quad speakers, and that awesome A9X every single day. Those are all great reasons to have the iPad Pro.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

I like to show off my photos using my iPad, so I am glad that True Tone switches off automatically in the Photos app. For that reason, I leave it on all the time. For non-photo work, like writing, handling email, calendar, internet, reading books or magazines, True Tone is nice to have.

Reactions: CE3

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I was a True Tone doubter when I saw my first 9.7 pro on display in an Apple Store. Having had problems with yellow blotches at the bottom of the screen on previous iPad iterations, I even suspected them of using True Tone as a way to disguise similar issues with the 9.7 pro.

Buying a 9.7 pro changed all that. Now, like others on this forum, I've been converted, despite approaching it with some initial cynicism. Far from hating it, I prefer it and hardly ever disable it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.