iPad Pro Are you still using True Tone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CE3, May 2, 2016.

?

Are you still using the True Tone feature on the 9.7 iPad Pro?

1. Yes, I love it and keep it on all the time.

164 vote(s)
    82.0%
  2. I use it about 50/50 or occasionally use.

8 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. I rarely have True Tone on, or don't use it at all.

28 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Now that the dust has settled, I'm curious to know how many of you are still using and enjoying the True Tone feature, and how many don't use it at all. I initially thought I liked True Tone, but got over it after a few days and personally do not feel it enhances my display viewing experience. I've turned it on a few times since then to see if my opinion has changed, but no, I definitely tend to prefer the cooler display tones overall.

What do you think?

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Well, I'm loving Night Shift. I had to adjust it a little cooler than default, but it makes the display look so much nicer at night. I'm pretty sure I would love True Tone.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I hate Night Shift, but True Tone is fantastic. I've become very accustomed to it, and it's pretty shocking when I turn it off.

4. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

I tend to forget TT is enabled, but at night when I compare it to my iPhone 6 is looks lovely, and the 6 looks aggressively blue rather than the iPp looking yellow.

5. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Yes, of course. I started to forget its existence.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Love it. When I pick up my iPad 4 it's immediately apparent how blue and un-natural that screen is.

I've been calibrating my TV screens for years, and it's the same way; a good calibration looks extremely warm when you are used to the overly vivid and increasingly blue default calibrations TV's come with from the factory. It's nice to see a major manufacturer finally working to reverse that trend.

7. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

Like your poll says, I love it and keep it on all the time!

8. Kermit262 macrumors member

Kermit262

I only turn it off when I want to be reminded why I spent extra money for the Pro instead of getting the Air 2. :D

9. CE3, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016

CE3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice to see that so far most of you are still happy with the feature. To be clear, I've no complaints, since it's something I can turn off. And I'll probably still use Night Shift or True Tone for reading at night.

But in terms of decent color accuracy (and if you do a lot of image-based work on the iPad), True Tone isn't ideal, which is why it automatically switches off in the Photos app.

10. gp101 macrumors member

gp101

I really am very happy with true tone! When flicking back and forth between my MacBook (with flux off), there is certainly a noticeable difference and I've pretty much gotten used to the iPad screen so much that the MacBook's screen seems a bit off :D

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The blue-ish slant of the 'standard' screen isn't great for accuracy either, it's just that it's consistent, and keeps other elements of the otherwise very well calibrated screen accurate. You still need to account for the fact that your pictures are represented with a blue shift on the iPad screen, even with True Tone off.

12. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Still using true tone and loving it. Have switched off nightshift permanently, but use it on my iPhone 6s on a low setting.

13. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Use both True Tone and Nightshift, forget they are even enabled I am just used to them.

14. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

True Tone is just rubbish IMHO ! Takes away the display quality which iPad and iPhone screens are known for. I quite like the bluish white display of my iPad-3 ! And yeah Night Shift is just yuck !

15. RedOrchestra Suspended

The ONLY time I turn TT off is when I'm watching movies or the NHL playoffs - fabulous for iBooks.
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2016 ---

Looking at your previous posts you DON'T own a 9.7 iPad Pro so I'm curious how you arrived at your opinion on TT and Night Shift?

16. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

By playing with it in an Apple Store ! You don't need to own it to know what it is !

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The ambient lighting inside an Apple store is not of the sort that would alter the screen on a true tone equipped iPad in any significant way, as it is very close to the ~7k set-point that the display is calibrated against. So viewing an iPad in an Apple store will be nearly identical whether true tone is on or off.

iPad screens, like almost all other modern screens, have been trending towards too much blue for many years now. It's trendy, and makes people think it's fresh and modern, but just like the 16:9 fight many of us waged for years before finally getting (at least a few) manufacturers to listen, there are significant drawbacks. For movie playback, no professionally calibrated display will look anywhere near that blue, so 'accurate' is also relative to what the screen is used for.

18. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Bluish White Display for me ! Any Day !

19. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I still use True Tone and don't even think about it. My screen looks white and when I turn on other devices after using the Pro, their screens look blue. It's easy on the eyes, the colors look natural and I love it. You do have to get used to it. When you first turn it on the screens looks yellowish for a moment and then white.

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

You keep fighting this fight because you're dead set on keeping your iPad Air 2--I know this from all your past posts in other threads. We all get it--you like your iPad Air 2.

21. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I am on iPad-3 :D

22. dannyar macrumors 6502

This poll will always come back as YES because those who want to justify the extra money spent vs just getting the ipad air 2 will never admit to being wrong that its useless. So they will not actually use it, but they will post here that they do because this is the internet, and this is how people are. /endthread

23. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I use True Tone, Apple Pencil, the Smart Keyboard, the quad speakers, and that awesome A9X every single day. Those are all great reasons to have the iPad Pro.

24. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I like to show off my photos using my iPad, so I am glad that True Tone switches off automatically in the Photos app. For that reason, I leave it on all the time. For non-photo work, like writing, handling email, calendar, internet, reading books or magazines, True Tone is nice to have.

25. TripleMoxy macrumors regular

I was a True Tone doubter when I saw my first 9.7 pro on display in an Apple Store. Having had problems with yellow blotches at the bottom of the screen on previous iPad iterations, I even suspected them of using True Tone as a way to disguise similar issues with the 9.7 pro.

Buying a 9.7 pro changed all that. Now, like others on this forum, I've been converted, despite approaching it with some initial cynicism. Far from hating it, I prefer it and hardly ever disable it.