Are you stuck with that face?

BigCanoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
That's what she said...

But seriously...First time Apple Watch buyer here. Are you stuck with the stock face? Its too busy for me. Can you install custom faces? If not, I will have to opt for Nike I think.

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
That's what she said...

But seriously...First time Apple Watch buyer here. Are you stuck with the stock face? Its too busy for me. Can you install custom faces? If not, I will have to opt for Nike I think.
Of course you can install other faces. The exception is the Nike faces which only come with the “Nike” edition (silly to me to not let everyone market Nike but oh well).

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
That's what she said...

Also by installing custom faces, what you can do is choose from a collection of stock faces (additional Nike and Hermes faces only available by buy those watches, but they have all the regular "stock" faces). You can also add or subtract complications to make the face less busy. There is no way of installing faces that do not come with the watch. No watch face store or ability to side load faces at all. I'm sure if you google it, you can see all the stock faces that come with watch os5

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
Also by installing custom faces, what you can do is choose from a collection of stock faces (additional Nike and Hermes faces only available by buy those watches, but they have all the regular "stock" faces). You can also add or subtract complications to make the face less busy. There is no way of installing faces that do not come with the watch. No watch face store or ability to side load faces at all. I'm sure if you google it, you can see all the stock faces that come with watch os5
I can see folks buying the Nike version to get their faces, but I'm hard pressed to spend and extra $650 for a Hermes just for the faces and overpriced leather band. No offense to anyone who owns one but I just couldn't do it.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Just to add: People keep mentioning rumors of third-party faces that can be installed, but I think that is as likely as Apple allowing third-party home screens on iPhone. The third-party faces will probably remain limited to official hardware models with partners like Nike and Hermes. I'm surprised they haven't come out with a Beats edition for music, but that might go to some of the articles I've been reading about Apple developing its own audio gear and not really supporting new Beats products.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
There used to be a way in the Apple Store app to swap between cases, bands, and faces so you could see how specific cases and bands would look with different faces. I don't see that there anymore, but you can choose from many different faces. As others have said, there is no way to install third party faces, but Apple provides quite a few. You can customize things like colors, complications, and dials... so the combinations allow for quite a lot of options. There are also photo faces where you can make a face out of a photo or a series of photos.

You can read about some of the different faces on this and other websites. Just search for "Apple Watch faces" to see some examples.

If you like the face they showcased yesterday, but find it too busy, you will be able to hide some (or even all) of the complications. You might be able to change the style of the dial or colors as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.