are you sure you want to open it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ynk1121, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ynk1121 macrumors member

...is a web application which was downloaded from the internet. are you sure you want to open it?

IF I WASN'T SURE, THEN I WOULDN'T HAVE CLICKED TO OPEN IT!!! How do I kill this annoyance?!?! :mad: People make fun of vista for stuff like this. What were they thinking bringing it to leopard? At least on vista I was able to find a way to disable it in a few seconds. I've been all over the control panel with no luck.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This kind of thing keeps us safe. If there's a way to kill it, I wish malicious software on you, I suppose.

What happens when the first virus is written? It won't be self executing. The first one will probably STILL require us to open it. What happens when those of us with this message can look over the file before opening it? We won't get infected.

3. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

This is not possible to disable. It is part of the 'quarantine' system Apple introduced in Leopard to cut down on malware getting onto the system.

The main problem with some of the hacks that did make their way onto OS X as proof of concept is that a random file that looked like a document would launch like an application, silently, in the background. This system prevents an app from launching for the first time without your permission.

Yes, it is annoying, but it could also easily be even more annoying. What still makes UAC + File Signatures + IE on Windows worse is that Windows will do this in order:

- Are you sure you want to download this file?
    - Are you sure you want to open this installer?
    - Are you sure you want to give this installer permissions to install?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Have you looked in System Preferences?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Very nice. :D:cool:

6. ynk1121 thread starter macrumors member

control panel, system pref, same thing

I call BS. It isn't going to stop anything. It doesn't say if the file is safe or not. All it asks is if you want to open it. I clicked open already telling the computer that I want it opened. I shouldn't have to do it twice. It's apple slowly turning into M$.

You have got to be kidding me. Is there at least a way to tell it to open a group of files at once?

I'm trying to open a bunch of html files in GoLive. I select them and click open. It says "are you sure?". I click yes and it only opens ONE file. I select them all. I open. It will open the one file that I said it was ok to before and then it asks "are you sure?" to the next file and only now opens the 2 files!!! I select them, open them, say yes, then it opens 3 files. Rinse and repeat for all 50 files is insane!

There has got to be an easier way. I'm considering going back to tiger right now.

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Your beef is that it asks you for permission every time you open the app? Are you running under a non-admin account?

Try logging in as admin and launching the app if you're not already an administrator. I had a similar issue with applications, and usually launching once as admin and answering OK to the dialogue eliminates it for all users.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The first time you download an App from the internet, it asks you if you're sure you want to open it.

9. ynk1121 thread starter macrumors member

I am on an admin account. No, not for every app. Having to open every file ONE AT A TIME is my issue. I have 50 or so html files I want to open in one program all at once. I'll switch to windows or tiger before I sit here opening each file and clicking that box 50 times.

10. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

i get that message first time i open an app that i've downloaded, after that it never shows up again. but your problem does sound very annoying :(

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I had Adium asking every time I opened it for a time period on a limited account. The prompt stopped after launching as admin.

Have you tried launching the app and then using file->open or command+o to see if you can select multiple files in the dialogue that opens there? Or maybe drag the documents over the application icon?

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If it's asking you every time for the same app that you've already said yes to, it was likely installed by another admin account and the owner is not you, so despite saying "yes" that is not saved. Easy fix, in Terminal:

sudo chown -R root:admin /Applications

Then run Permissions Repair from Disk Utility.

Problem fixed.

13. ynk1121 thread starter macrumors member

That's the major WTF... If it had more than open dialog box I could quickly click yes over and over but it doesn't. Once it tries to open what it calls "a web app" all other file opening stops.

1) select all files
    2) Open all files
    3) dialog box ok-ed
    4) only one file opens
    5) select all files
    6) Open all files
    7) dialog box ok-ed
    8) only two files open
    9) select all files
    10) Open all files
    11) dialog box ok-ed
    12) only three files open
    etc

I tried file open, command o, dragging to the icon. Same thing.:mad:

Thanks anyway, but no. it doesn't ask about the same file more than once. My problem is it thinks html files are apps. I contently have to open large amounts of them.

14. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

It isn't meant to stop you from blindly opening an unsafe application. It is meant to call attention that 'hey, opening this could run code'. As I said in my post, there were quite a few proof of concept exploits that made an application look like a document. That exploit can't get past this, per se.

Seems like the problem here is that you downloaded a bunch of HTML files, and it is preventing them from being opened due to quarantine for editing? This is something I never encountered to the degree you state. Yes, I have had the warning come up for .php files and the like (I'd agree that this is potentially overboard in most cases). But my editors will get the whole group of files just fine after the first 'Yes, I do want to open it'. Sounds like this is a bug, either in GoLive or the Carbon APIs.

Now, here's a link you might find helpful though: http://henrik.nyh.se/2007/10/lift-the-leopard-download-quarantine

It helps by stripping the quarantine tag from files you drop into a folder (with this script attached as a folder action), but it could easily be modified to act like a droplet as well.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Ok, so it's not asking you about the app, more about the .html files that you downloaded. What are the permissions set to on the files? Are they executable? Can you do a get info and remove the executable permission on the files if they are set as such?

16. ynk1121 thread starter macrumors member

OMG IT WORKS!:eek: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :)

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

This is always something that I wondered if there was a way to turn off the warning. I always know when I've downloaded something because 99% of the time I open it up as soon as it's done downloading.

I never open up files that I did not physically put on my computer. My wife and I are the only 2 people that use any of our computers, and she has never downloaded any files except for pictures.

18. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I agree that there should be a way to turn it off, but in the end, it's only one time per app. It's not such a huge deal.

19. ynk1121 thread starter macrumors member

I agree. If it was only once per app I wouldn't have been complaining.

[rant] Calling html and php files an app without an official way to stop it is a bonehead move on apple's part. I don't understand the logic behind it. It's M$ type logic that doesn't work. If it worked, I wouldn't have to help people to remove gigs of viruses, adware, and spyware from their PCs on a daily basis. It just teaches the user to always click open when the box comes up. The people it is meant for aren't going to read or understand what they are doing anyway. If they really wanted to protect their users the would leave "show file extensions" on by default. That at least gives the user information about the file downloaded. The dialogue box is useless and repetitive. [/rant]

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I read through (most) of this thread and I still don't really understand what you're experiencing. Can you post a screenshot? It's not normal for OS X to consider HTML files to be executables. And you've posted half a dozen times to complain and I still can't see from all your posts with what program you're trying to open them....

21. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

PHP files are script files. Likewise, HTML can contain scripts. These can, in turn, execute unwanted events on your computer. The term 'application' is generic on the quarantine warning, as a poster previously mentioned, it's a warning informing you that code is about to be executed.

The quarantine system is a method of preventing unauthorised execution of potentially harmful files. Simple, elegant, useful. Not foolproof, but useful. At least Apple is doing something with a little initiative in developing their OS to keep it secure, which is more than can be said for Microsoft (take your pick at which version of Windows, they're all trash).

22. ynk1121 thread starter macrumors member

My problem has been resolved thanks to Krevnik's work around in post #14. Read the link he posted and this one also posted on that site (http://mymacinations.com/2008/02/06/changing-the-systems-default-settings-for-html-files-safe/). It IS normal for Leopard to consider html and php files as applications.That is what my problem was and why I find the need to complain. It is really a stupid idea. The program being used is irrelevant as the program opens fine. It is the files not opening without ok-ing each one, one at a time. Leopard will not let more than one file open for the first time without one by one opening each file and saying it's ok for it to be opened.

23. ynk1121 thread starter macrumors member

windows was first to start this stupidity. They at least had the brains to give an option to remove it. I understand that html, php, etc. can contain scripts to hurt a computer. The dialogue box says nothing. It only asks if you are sure you want to open the file. If I didn't want to open it, then why would I have clicked to open it? Showing the file extension would help users 100x more. I know there is no arguing on this forum. Too many Kool-aid drinkers on here. Apple can do no wrong.

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Would it be possible for you to open up a terminal window navigate to a directory containing some of the problematic HTML files and let us know what it says when you do an ls -l command? It would be interesting to see if these particular html files have executable permissions set, and if removing that via a chmod 666 <filename> command will elminate the dialog box since the files will not be executable (still read/write-able though).

25. ynk1121 thread starter macrumors member

My problem's been fixed. Using post #14's link I made the folder with my files not prompt me when I open them. I checked a file in the folder which doesn't prompt me and I downloaded a file to my desktop which still prompts me. Both come back as "-rw-r--r--"