Are you taking your MBP overseas?

jerryk

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
It looks like the US will ban the use of notebooks trips from EU countries this week. I am heading overseas in the next few months and thinking about leaving my MBP at home. Anyone else changing their plans.

Reactions: Bojan

SugaredJuggler

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
Holladay, UT
I just bought a new 2016 15" MacBook Pro for work and need to take it overseas this month. I am hoping that they don't ban notebooks on those flights, however I will be bringing an extra sleeve and case for padding so I can check it in my other luggage.

We all know how our checked luggage usually gets handled these days

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010
I likely wouldn't bring my mac if I was only going away for a week to Europe given the circumstances right now. But if a trip was longer and I really needed it, I would bring my it and potentially courier it back if the laptop ban took effect.

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
Actually, I am canceling my workshop invitations for this year and I will abstain from visiting the USA until they figure out their political mess.

Reactions: unobtainium

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
The whole policy is a huge mess.

Most laptops are not allowed to be checked in due to the lithium ion battery.
With the carry-on ban, there's absolutely no way to bring electronics back home with you.

I'm sure as hell not going to ship my 3.5KUSD laptop, no matter how well-packaged it may be.

Aidoon

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
UK
What a mess, lucky I don't have to fly to the US in the near future. Seriously...

jerryk

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
What a mess, lucky I don't have to fly to the US in the near future. Seriously...

Didn't the UK follow the US lead on the ban from the Middle East? If so, they might follow the ban from the continent with looming Brexit.

I really hope not since I am flying through Heathrow and then to the locations on the continent, and then doing in reverse on the way back to US.

Last edited:

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I will be traveling to Europe for three weeks in July. Hope the ban doesn't come. Especially hope it doesn't come after my initial departure. :(