Are you tired of this messageboard becoming a developers hype-board ?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by scott99, Jan 22, 2010.

1. scott99 macrumors 6502a

No offense to developers of apps, I may become one someday myself. But I remember when I used to come to this messageboard, to read honest comments by actual app users. Now it seems like it's just here for developers to hype their apps. I can't tell you how many times I've clicked on a thread that read something like this "The best Instant Messaging App", and it's the developer hyping his own app. I truly thought it was a thread about the best messaging app a user tried and liked. This is just an example, but I've seen tons of threads just like this, in fact, most threads are the developers introducing their apps, whether an actual introduction, or something sneaky like my example.

What do you ladies and gents think ? Do you miss the good old days like I do ? When it comes to introducing an app, I typically will buy an app if a developer introduces it honestly, and asks users opinions.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, that is why this board has a section for the app store. You don't like it? Ignore it and you can exclude it from forum spy as well.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed

I like it that there is a legitimate place on this board for someone to promote their product

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. bad angel macrumors member

bad angel

I don't mind it so much except when I see posts that were clearly made by the developer but they're pretending to just be someone who found the app and really likes it. :rolleyes: When I see that, I make it a point to not buy the app – to me it says something when the dev can't even be honest in promoting their app in a forum where it's allowed and okay to do.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

For advertisements in the forums I report them if I just feel they're trying to advertise. A big clue is if it's the user's first and only post at the forums. the mods generally delete these threads when I report them. I don't hang out in the iPhone forum (I think that's where the OP is referring to) so not sure how much legit posting is going on there. Just remember, the report link is there for a reason.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From the Rules (see my bold):
    App developers are accorded special privileges in the App Store forum. Perhaps we need two forums, one for devs and one for users.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There's no foolproof way to distinguish a shill from a real customer, but sometimes it's pretty obvious, in which case it should be reported to the moderators.

Personally, I usually don't trust product recommendations from "strangers" in the forums unless they post about other topics regularly. If a particular product or vendor is all they talk about, their advice carries little or no weight. Certain types of products, like iPod cases and video-conversion software, get shilled more than others. For those I would always ask for recommendations from somebody I already trusted.

If you want to fool me with your product recommendation, it's easy. Just spend a couple of years posting in the forums about Macs, iPods, current events, music, sports, TV shows, and what flavor of snow cone you like best, while also asking and answering lots of technical questions. Then tell me what hardware and software you recommend and I'll be inclined to listen.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This board was better before the iPhone came out. Just saying.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It was better before all the converts that found Apple appeared.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It was better when it was nullrumors.com and had no members, before Apple was incorporated. No useless chatter, no off-topic posts, no nerdy losers, no overzealous pre-pubescents, no fearful luddites, no corporate apologists, no nattering nabobs of negativism. Just good serious discussion about nothing by nobody.

11. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

= Heaven

12. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Exactly. Everyone completely agreed with all my viewpoints all the time, always posted stuff I was directly interested in and never anything I didn't care about. Although I didn't learn very much, it was bliss.

AppleMatt (I like the blue one)

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Here here.

Just ignore the boards/threads/users that bother you. It's all part of the MR Zen.