Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 25, 2017
Are you going to upgrade to Mojave knowing Apple got rid of subpixel anti-aliasing making the fonts blurry?

WishIWasHere

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
I upgraded this afternoon, and honestly I don't really see any difference. Maybe it's because my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but yeah, from what I'm seeing the whole thing is kind of overblown.

Reactions: Rocko99991

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I upgraded this afternoon, and honestly I don't really see any difference. Maybe it's because my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but yeah, from what I'm seeing the whole thing is kind of overblown.

I just installed Mojave and the fonts are blurry on the News app, can you check that app and report with your observation... Thank You!

WishIWasHere

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
I just installed Mojave and the fonts are blurry on the News app, can you check that app and report with your observation... Thank You!
Yeah I was poking around on the News app just a little while ago, and I just don't see any problem. Now like I said, my eyesight is not what it used to be, and since there was no News app on High Sierra then I can't compare it to what I was accustomed to. I'm sure other people have a different definition of blurry than I do, but I'm perfectly happy with the upgrade.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Yes, upgraded iMac, MBPr15 and 2 Mac Mini Servers to Mojave this morning. Haven't noticed any blurry fonts. But then again, I'm old and the close up vision is beginning to fade.

Reactions: TokMok3

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Yeah I was poking around on the News app just a little while ago, and I just don't see any problem. Now like I said, my eyesight is not what it used to be, and since there was no News app on High Sierra then I can't compare it to what I was accustomed to. I'm sure other people have a different definition of blurry than I do, but I'm perfectly happy with the upgrade.

Thank you!

ugh

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
Are you going to upgrade to Mojave knowing Apple got rid of subpixel anti-aliasing making the fonts blurry?

I didn't know, and I don't know why there aren't sticky posts everywhere! Would have saved me a lot of trouble, and literally a million other users!

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think it depends upon Retina display or not - there are several threads about it - look around

WishIWasHere

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
I think it depends upon Retina display or not - there are several threads about it - look around[/QUOTE
Yeah, this thread was originally in the MacBook Air section, so I think all replies are related to that rather than the retina displays. I'm on a 2017 Air.
[doublepost=1537908307][/doublepost]Geez, something went wrong with that reply lol. In case it wasn't clear, this thread was originally in the MacBook Air section, so I think the replies are related to the Air or other non-retina displays. I'm on a 2017 Air.

ugh

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
The new font smoothing is ugly, but not nearly as ugly as in Windows, so I can learn to live with it.

Nah. Remote Desktop'd into my windows system from Mojave showed how much better windows font rendering is than Mojave.

Steve Jobs just rolled over in his grave.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
It would be helpful if someone could post a pre-Mojave screenshot of a web page and a Mojave screenshot of the same web page, for comparison.

Paapaa

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
It would be helpful if someone could post a pre-Mojave screenshot of a web page and a Mojave screenshot of the same web page, for comparison.

+1 I'd also like to see how the font rendering now works in iTerm2/Terminal or Visual Studio Code? Any screenshots are highly appreciated!

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
I have gone back to High Sierra and this is all true.

Even on 5K screen it looks off/Blurry and "Dark mode" is Terrible.

I love apple but why are they trying to make the OS updated on Mac like the OTA iPhone updates. That's Silly

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Did you turn font smoothing off? I personally see no difference otherwise.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I have gone back to High Sierra and this is all true.

Even on 5K screen it looks off/Blurry and "Dark mode" is Terrible.

I love apple but why are they trying to make the OS updated on Mac like the OTA iPhone updates. That's Silly

I am considering going back as well. Fonts are blurry on my mac mini set up after update to mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.