Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which remote desktop app? and Why. (in alpha order)

• Connect to PC

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Desktop Connect

Votes: 33 8.8%
  • iTap RDP Client

Votes: 23 6.1%
  • LogMeIn Ignition

Votes: 162 43.2%
  • RDM+

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • WinAdmin iPad edition

Votes: 11 2.9%
  • Wormhole Remote

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wyse Pocketcloud

Votes: 24 6.4%
  • I switched from _____ to ______

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Other (see my post)

Votes: 108 28.8%

• Total voters

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Doesn't seem fair (or logical given that it's the highest rated RDP solution in the app store) that Jump isn't an explicit choice in the poll.

well crap. maybe I thought it needed a VNC server? (but it doesn't look like it does)

no excuse and no edit option that I see for the poll :(

thankins

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
how secure is jumpdesktop. from what i gather on their site, a piece of software is installed onto the machine you want to connect to. i would like to remote control a few machines at some sites i manage which contain some pretty sensitive data. i currently use gotomypc because it has a pretty large company backing it (citrix) and from what i have read is extremely secure. the bad side is that there is no ipad version for connecting and you have to pay per machine.

Its secure - you don't have to install the software on the site machines. If you have a static IP (or dyndns) and RDP setup for those machines you can just use it as an RDP client (much like mstsc within windows)

I use it for the 45 clients I manage at my job. Works great

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I am currently only using Jump to connect to my PC while at home and on the same network. This did not require any software install on the PC or the Google account login. Only used it for a day but I have no complaints so far. It seems stable and intuitive. I like that it passes through audio to the iPad. Video was almost - but not quite - watchable but that was expected. I like the little circle that is used to move the cursor around.

I wanted to go with Desktop Connect since it is both VNC and RDP but it has less stars, a TON of one star reviews, lots of complaints about slow speed and seemingly less frequent updates.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
well crap. maybe I thought it needed a VNC server? (but it doesn't look like it does)

no excuse and no edit option that I see for the poll :(

Sorry, didn't mean to come down on you. I had a hard time sorting out what was what in the app store. Even when searching "rdp" it seems like vnc solutions come up and vice versa. Then the descriptions don't always make it clear either.

Thanks for starting this thread. It did help me make a decision - along with the reviews in the app store.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
I am surprised not more people are using Wyse Pocket cloud. I use it now on my iPhone and like it and until this thread never heard of Jump, I am going to try it out when my 3G shows up. Wyse really pushes their app hard as being the best compression over 3G connections.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Sorry, didn't mean to come down on you. I had a hard time sorting out what was what in the app store. Even when searching "rdp" it seems like vnc solutions come up and vice versa. Then the descriptions don't always make it clear either.

Thanks for starting this thread. It did help me make a decision - along with the reviews in the app store.

I was more disappointed with myself. I found my written list and it has Jump off to the side to put after the iTap entries and I obviously didn't put it in.

I saw a lot of potential for remoting with the iPhone and the iPad just takes that potential right where it needs to be. I figured a thread about the remote apps would let the cream rise to the top (so to speak).

and I (nor anyone else) would have to buy multiple apps lol

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2008
Based on this thread, I decided to purchase the LogMeIn app for my Ipad. So far, it is really great! I like that the setup to my macbook pro was super simple. My goal is to use my Ipad for meetings with new clients and be able to access my MBP if needed. I think it will workout just fine.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I have to say I am a die-hard Logmein user but, based on this thread, I decided to give Jump Desktop a try. It is GREAT! I'm still waiting for my 3G so I put it on my iPhone 3G. It was very responsive and did great with control. I happen to like the little finger target. That made mouse-pointing so much easier. Setup was also insanely simple and uses my Gmail address and the aggregator for the remote PCs. The fact that it passes audio is also a plus. I'm sold.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Can anyone tell me the difference between VNC and RDP and why one is or isn't better than the other? :confused:

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Can anyone tell me the difference between VNC and RDP and why one is or isn't better than the other? :confused:

with the VNC protocol you need a program running on the target computer.

with RDP you utilize the remote desktop protocol in the OS. more stable and smoother in my experience

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Excellent. Thanks.

sure and as a follow up that explains why various app descriptions say it won't work with Win Basic, Home and Home Prem versions as the RDP is active in the Pro, Ultimate versions.

I'm trying to get a hack I found on google for Vista Home Prem functioning :D

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
with the VNC protocol you need a program running on the target computer.

with RDP you utilize the remote desktop protocol in the OS. more stable and smoother in my experience

No, that is very misleading. VNC is the remote desktop protocol built into OSX, and DOES NOT require any additional software.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I have to say I am a die-hard Logmein user but, based on this thread, I decided to give Jump Desktop a try. It is GREAT! I'm still waiting for my 3G so I put it on my iPhone 3G. It was very responsive and did great with control. I happen to like the little finger target. That made mouse-pointing so much easier. Setup was also insanely simple and uses my Gmail address and the aggregator for the remote PCs. The fact that it passes audio is also a plus. I'm sold.

So you like Jump better? Does Jump work with OSX?

How would you compare it to LogmeIn? What do you notice better/worse?

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
I bought Jump Desktop yesterday. Since I'm Google-free, I decided to log in via the computer's IP address. It works great and is very smooth.

FYI, you just have to remember to let any RDP associated program through the Windows firewall.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
So you like Jump better?

Yes, from what I've done with it so far I'm impressed. As I mentioned, I don't presently have my iPad yet so I have to compare iPhone usage with both Logmein and Jump.

Does Jump work with OSX?

No, it's a Window's based system which is what I'm connecting to all the time. I've never had a need for the Mac side as I'm always connecting from the Mac to a remote PC and not the other way around.

How would you compare it to LogmeIn?[/QUOTE]

So far I see that it's more responsive and more accurate with finger "selection" and "clicking." Jump has a little finger target circle to help you move the pointer around. Some people seem to find a a bit distracting but I have found that it helps me be more productive by not having to waste time reselecting or reclicking because it wasn't quite right the first time.

What do you notice better/worse?

I've been using a Logmein free account which doesn't allow for audio. That's available to the Pro account and the Logmein Ignition application doesn't even allow for audio even with a Pro account. I use Logmein on my MBP a lot so it could be available but it's not. Jump allows you to decide if you want audio transfer or not.

The responsiveness was noticeable right away to me.

I haven't found any real negatives yet but I'm sure something will come along.

Edited to update: I just got to work and discovered some issues on my computer after running Jump on it. I had various software running and a few were reporting video errors (obviously due to the driver jump is using). Probably associated with that was also an issue where when I logged in I had to wait for Windows 7 to reorganize itself. There were a lot of program hangs which eventually resolved themselves.

supermanx

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
Edited to update: I just got to work and discovered some issues on my computer after running Jump on it. I had various software running and a few were reporting video errors (obviously due to the driver jump is using). Probably associated with that was also an issue where when I logged in I had to wait for Windows 7 to reorganize itself. There were a lot of program hangs which eventually resolved themselves.

Have you used remote desktop to connect to your computer before? There are some programs that do not like to be run in an RDP session, media center is one and will often complain.

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
Well... I need to make a decision today on what would be the best desktop connection software.

I am running a Mac, so it needs to run under that latest OS. I just need something that will remotely (from my iPad) allow me to access files on my computer and also allow me to run programs remotely... Such as Comic Book Lover, Safari, Calibre, and so forth.

Seems to be Logmein Ignition and Desktop Connect are getting the most votes here. On the iPad App Store, Desktop Connect seems to be outselling Logmein Ignition.

Just quickly, what would you choose for my criteria and why?

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Have you used remote desktop to connect to your computer before? There are some programs that do not like to be run in an RDP session, media center is one and will often complain.

I use Logmein regularly with this computer and have never had a problem. Strict RDP on this comptuer, no. The ones that were all screwed up this morning were Outlook, Sage ACT!, Microsoft Word and Explorer. Nothing there is media oriented. They were all open when I tried Jump. Everything looked great on the Jump end but when I got to work and logged in the computer probably churned for nearly 10 minutes correcting the issues and Windows Explorer had also hung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.