Are you using document picker?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by lexvo, Jan 31, 2015.

1. lexvo macrumors 65816

I like the concept of the document picker, being able to have one copy of a file and open it from different apps.

However, not many apps have implemented this functionality, or only partly. And I encounter bugs when using it with apps which support it (mostly apps freeze and have to be killed). For example I can open, edit and save a document in PDF Expert from Pages. But when I go to PDF Expert after that, the app freezes. I have to kill both Pages and PDF Expert to get things working again. So I don't know if this is a bug in PDF Expert, Pages or iOS itself.

How is you experience with document picker?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I use FileApp to store most .pdf files and it works well, doesn't crash (available from the "Open in..." share sheet icon) iBooks is also an option.

3. lexvo thread starter macrumors 65816

"Open in ..." is not a problem and almost all apps support it. I am talking about using the document picker where there remains a single copy of the file. Using "Open in..." creates an extra copy of the file.

4. lexvo thread starter macrumors 65816

I just found that it is a locking problem. Pages keeps the document locked. The moment I kill Pages, PDF Expert is working again.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, there are a lot of lockups with it. The API is still being worked on though, so I expect that to only get better in the next couple of iOS updates.

Still use it everyday though.