Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tapplox

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
So, which device and OS are you?
If you are not using 3.12, please comment on why not?

Reason
I am the lead designer and developer behind Foobi from Tapplox. It has come to our attention that ... well we aren't getting reviews in the app store. While we think that our app isn't necessarily perfect for everyone, however, we do believe that Foobi really deserves more attention than some of other apps on the store.

We are getting really great feedback and really fantastic reviews. But I am really puzzled here as to what's holding you guys back.

So far we know that most people loved the UI. It's really easy to use and it looks great. And it certainly works very well according to most of the comments we gathered. So... it is leading me to believe that the reason why Foobi isn't doing too well might have something to do with its compatibility being OS 3.12 exclusive.

Foobi-Duo-1.png

Foobi-Duo-2.png

So, care to tell us what device and OS are you using?

Twitter: http://twitter.com/tapplox

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I'm using 2.2.1 because 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1, and 3.1.2 are too slow on my iPhone 3G. 2.2.1 is smooth as butter. The iPhone 3G is still pretty good (hardware wise) and I shouldn't have to slow it down by installing 3.1.2.

So I will always stay on 2.2.1 until either 1.) Apple speeds up 3.x back to 2.x speeds or 2.) I buy hardware that only supports 3.x or higher.

tapplox

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. If this poll is an indication of anything, at least 70% of users are using 3.12.

Personally I love the 3.0 features, maybe at a cost of slightly lower performance, but overall better Safari and Mail.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
TheSpaz is an anomaly. I think those people that know/care to upgrade x the people that appreciate fine apps x the people that monitor their diet WITHOUT calories x those that have been exposed to your marketing = SMALL NUMBER

You've got to get TUAW.com and Gizmodo talking about your App. It needs an advertisement in Runner/Women's Health. Without these pieces its going to be a slow road to success.

What would be lost if it was compatible with all 3.x devices?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
What would be lost if it was compatible with all 3.x devices?

That's what I'm wondering. 3.1.2 is only a bugfix update to 3.1, and 3.1 didn't really add all that much that should affect a diet tracking app.

Also...who keeps track of the food groups? Give us a really good calorie tracking app and you might have something.

tapplox

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks

Hey guys,

I am the designer and developer behind Foobi at Tapplox.

I just wanted to point out that this poll isn't solely related to Foobi. Thanks for the feedback though, they are very helpful to us.

Regarding Foobi
Personally I think any kind of calorie tracking app solves a different problem. While knowing that your total calorie intake is say, 2000, while useful to some, isn't necessarily very meaning that you are eating healthy. Foobi gives you a daily overview of your balance of foods at a glance, and it does so efficiently.

It is a different way to track your diet, and it cannot be easier. Considering that most of us hardly track the stuff we eat, Foobi is a big step towards making one get the job done in simplest and fastest way possible in addition to providing a healthy overview of your food group choices.

When I first started tracking my diet about a year ago (when I was started to eat seriously to complement my weight training), I was counting all of my carbs and protein by grams. Honestly I think that after about a week or so of doing this you should be able to tell almost exactly how many grams of carb/protein you are getting by just looking at the servings of foods.

It's not perfectly accurate by any means, but it does work for a lot of us. Some people are really hardcore about their food intake, and I respect that. Foobi has helped me a lot in achieving a great diet and it is in my hopes that it will do the same for others.

Remy

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Remy: You didn't answer the far more important question we posed. What exactly is it about your app that makes it depend on 3.1.2? Unless there is some essential feature in that bugfix release that I hadn't heard of, it seems ridiculous to require that the phone be updated to the latest patch. Why not write it to be compatible with any version of 3.0? I can't think of anything that was added in 3.1 that should be essential to an app whose sole purpose is to track the food groups...

Also, you can argue all you want that it is a good idea to track food groups, but I'm just saying that I don't know anyone who does it. And I know even fewer who would pay for an app to do it for them. The OP asked why you aren't getting reviews, and I think that may be your answer.

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
Also, you can argue all you want that it is a good idea to track food groups, but I'm just saying that I don't know anyone who does it. And I know even fewer who would pay for an app to do it for them. The OP asked why you aren't getting reviews, and I think that may be your answer.

There are dozens of calorie tracking apps in the app store, who needs another one? And he stated that tracking food groups is better in his opinion because people get lost in only tracking calories. Just because you don't know people who do it doesn't mean that nobody does it. I know a few people who do it.

As far as 3.1.2 requirement goes, I don't understand it either. However, I've ran across a number of apps that require it. I don't know if they've all done it simply because it's been coded that way or if there is some specific reason. 3.1.2 is worlds better than 3.0 and 3.1 anyway, so you might as well be on it. The latter two are buggy and slow.

tapplox

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
Oh, I must have missed that when I was posting my response yesterday. Actually there's no reason other than a programming mistake that requires 3.12. An update was submitted about a week ago to make it 3.0 compatible.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It was a mistake in our part.

We are gathering data for this poll for another app as well, but I can't say anymore about that now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.