Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
If so have you tried to do Disk Utility repair and get the following warnings. I seen this today when I attempted Disk Utility and my google search showed its well known error with One Drive and Mojave.

The only way I got rid of it was to wipe One Drive from Mojave and do a clean install. I left One Drive on my laptop for I need it for work but wiped it from my Mac Mini.

Im not even sure what the warning means but I wish they would get this worked out between them.

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 6.31.21 PM.png

Reactions: BigMcGuire and w1z

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
I searched for this exact same error but was not able to find anything linking one drive to it.. I'm also using one drive for business but thought this error was in someway linked to old macs, specifically due to lack of T1/T2 chips.

Edit: Never mind - I found the recent reports as I stopped searching for it around Nov.

Last edited:

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
I use OneDrive and get the same errors when running first aid on Mojave. These errors go away when OneDrive is uninstalled and the OneDrive folder is removed. I'm not sure what causes the error between OneDrive and Mojave's but it seems to be harmless as my MacBook Pro runs just fine.

I wouldn't do a clean install as I hear the error will come back after OneDrive is installed again. For now, I just ignore it.

I'd like to know what exactly causes this issue but since I don't think it's doing much harm. Hopefully Microsoft works this issue out. I also use Dropbox and iCloud and these are fine.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
The only way I could eliminate the warning was from a clean install. Even after removing all the One Drive folders and files on my Apple SSD it still registered a warning. I removed all the files and folders then did a CCC of the hard drive.
Went into Internet recovery (command R) erased the hard drive, installed new Mac OS, Migrated from CCC. Done.

I read that regardless of using Time Machine it will bring back the problem. Looks like CCC or equivalent is the only way not to bring back the error.

Another thing I noticed was that even though I erased 12GB of files on my Apple SSD one drive it would not show that as free space on the SSD. Not until I did the erase and re-install. CCC showed that it copied 12GB less but the Apple drive would not.

But yes it will come back if you install one drive again on the Mac. I really don't need the app on my mac or the files on my Apple SSD for I still can use One Drive over the internet on my Mac. I have a backup on a SSD of all the files. It is less convenient this way but not that bad.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
If so have you tried to do Disk Utility repair and get the following warnings. I seen this today when I attempted Disk Utility and my google search showed its well known error with One Drive and Mojave.

The only way I got rid of it was to wipe One Drive from Mojave and do a clean install. I left One Drive on my laptop for I need it for work but wiped it from my Mac Mini.

Im not even sure what the warning means but I wish they would get this worked out between them.

View attachment 822829
I do not know if this may or not help to explain part of the meaning of that strange message.
On some occasions I tried with little luck to use MacOS's Disk Utility to repair my Bootcamp Windows volume.
I did it because of a message telling the volume had to be repaired but, as I said, it never helped.
On those occasions Disk Utility's repair brought a long list of real or supposed errors and every sentence mentioned the "Inode" word found in this message.
I do not know what an "Inode" might be but wiser people might know it.
However these Inode problems were mentioned only regarding Windows and never when a MacOS volume underwent repair.
(For MacOS repairs I use Disk Warrior, an app which proved to me very useful and has to be started from an external volume in order to repair the inner one).
Ed

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I ended up cleaning my 2017 MBP this morning by means of Post #4. Both my Mac Mini and MBP SSD are One Drive File and App free and error free on Disk Utility repair.

My One Drive folder in the cloud is currently 12GB but after the clean install I freed up over 20GB on the Apple SSD. I did have a bunch of duplicate files at one time and was probably 17+GB in One Drive, I used Duplicate File Finder to clean things up. I don't think erasing the One Drive files on the Mac SSD really frees up that SSD and I am not sure why. I have seen it on both machines after deleting all the One Drive files and doing a restart, running Disk Utility repair and with the errors. Disk size did not change. But When I did the CCC on a clean SSD it registered copying 90GB vs 110GB Showing being used on the Apple. It is not till I erased the Apple SSD, Install Mac OS, Migrate from CCC that It registered the free space.

I still access to my One Drive from both machines but only via internet, not the app.

I installed One drive a few months ago because I needed to share blocks of 2-8GB size files to co-workers and it is a great application for that. I do not need One Drive for extra storage I just need it to share large quantities of files.

hughm123

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
The TL;DR answer is that this is probably a Microsoft bug. 0x10 seems to be one of the FreeBSD file security flags defined as UF_NOUNLINK ("file may not be removed or renamed"). These mostly serve a similar purpose to System Integrity Protection. OneDrive may be setting this to prevent users removing files in the OneDrive-managed folders, but the source code in <sys./stat.h> says this is not implemented in MacOS. Hence the "invalid bsd_flags" error. Meanwhile there's also a parameter UF_SETTABLE=0xffff which is used by MacOS to limit which flags can be set. This means it's possible to set the 0x10 bit even though it generates this error later.

So it looks like there are two bugs:

1. Microsoft OneDrive may be setting this based on the flag from BSD, but this is not valid for MacOS
2. There's also an Apple bug in that 0x10 should probably be excluded 0x10 from UF_SETTABLE to prevent this getting set by mistake

In the meantime if disk utility completes with only a warning then you *may* be able to ignore this. Also, it may be possible to clear the flag in a terminal window without reinstalling as follows:

a. Type "ls -lOd /path/to/file" (that's the letter O, not zero)
b. If the 5th column only has 0x10 or similar and not word(s) such as "hidden" then proceed to (c):
b. Type: "chflags 0 /path/to/file"

You can see examples of some other flags in place with "ls -lOd /*". Note that "chflags 0 ..." will remove all permitted flags, which is why you need to check there are not any other existing flags in (b). [Also I have not tested this; some flags cannot be unset without booting into single user mode].

From <sys/stat.h> in the source code:

#define UF_SETTABLE 0x0000ffff /* mask of owner changeable flags */
/*
* The following bit is reserved for FreeBSD. It is not implemented
* in Mac OS X.
*/
/* #define UF_NOUNLINK 0x00000010 */ /* file may not be removed or renamed */

[doublepost=1551058461][/doublepost]
I do not know if this may or not help to explain part of the meaning of that strange message.
On some occasions I tried with little luck to use MacOS's Disk Utility to repair my Bootcamp Windows volume.
I did it because of a message telling the volume had to be repaired but, as I said, it never helped.
On those occasions Disk Utility's repair brought a long list of real or supposed errors and every sentence mentioned the "Inode" word found in this message.
I do not know what an "Inode" might be but wiser people might know it.
However these Inode problems were mentioned only regarding Windows and never when a MacOS volume underwent repair.
(For MacOS repairs I use Disk Warrior, an app which proved to me very useful and has to be started from an external volume in order to repair the inner one).
Ed

An "inode" is essentially a file. Unix (including MacOS) has two levels of directory in the filesystem:

1. The hierarchical folders visible as directories just contain pairs of "filename1 number1", "filename2 number2", etc.

2. Each of these numbers is the index of an entry in a flat "inode table". The inode contains all of the real information about the file including owner/group, dates, size, permissions (including these bsd_flags), and pointers to the actual data blocks of the file

So in many ways the inode is the actual file, just like you might have two names in a phone directory but only one actual phone number (and phone).

You can see the inode numbers in a terminal with "ls -l" or "find -ls", but the numbers are not normally useful except when you have a warning like this.

When Disk Utility checks the disk it checks the inode table in a separate pass from checking the directories with the names, so when it reports this error it does not actually know what name this file has in the filesystem.

Reactions: w1z

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have an MS OneDrive account.
BUT...
I have no need for the OneDrive -software- on my Mac.
When I need to access the OneDrive account, I do it through a browser.
Works fine that way for me.

Last edited:

Panthera Tigris Altaica

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2018
In the Frozen North, of course.
Looks like Microsoft are blaming Apple for this one:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/8452b5fe-4f1a-44a7-a56b-c35ceec41129?auth=1

This seems like completely unacceptable position to take.
I am relying heavily on OneDrive and I will upgrade to Mojave before too long, so it is essential that the two work well together for me.
Is this causing issues in real terms or is it just one of things that can be ignored?

Yes, Microsoft are blaming Apple for this.
Yes, this is a real problem.
No, it's not Apple's fault. Microsoft screwed up (again) and will have to be kicked hard to fix their problem.
Fortunately the problem, while real, has not so far created _significant_ errors on any of my systems which have OneDrive. This may change, of course.
A cure for the problem is to turn OneDrive off, delete the OneDrive app and its various support files, and delete the OneDrive folder. That has killed the problem around here.
A much more significant problem with OneDrive is the way that it takes an extremely long time to upload files to the cloud, and then even longer to update other systems. I have both OneDrive and Dropbox, and while Dropbox is lightening fast, OneDrive has been known to take literal days to complete an update of the same files. This is definitely a Microsoft problem, as OneDrive behaves this way on Windows 10 machines as well as on Macs.

Reactions: russell_314

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I just booted into recovery and did a first aid. Doesn't get rid of the warnings. I guess I'll have to live with the invalid bsd_flags warning. I was pretty sure I cleaned everything up when uninstalling OneDrive. I'll check that in a minute soon as the second first aid gets done and I boot back into Mac OS.

Ok, I was wrong, OneDrive folder still there. I wiped it out, and my snapshots (because those too were reporting the error). Running another first aid.

Still spitting out those errors after removing OneDrive folder. :/

I'm just going to ignore these "warnings" and not use OneDrive. REALLY REALLY wish iCloud had selective sync so I didn't have to use another cloud service for work. ...

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I just booted into recovery and did a first aid. Doesn't get rid of the warnings. I guess I'll have to live with the invalid bsd_flags warning. I was pretty sure I cleaned everything up when uninstalling OneDrive. I'll check that in a minute soon as the second first aid gets done and I boot back into Mac OS.

Ok, I was wrong, OneDrive folder still there. I wiped it out, and my snapshots (because those too were reporting the error). Running another first aid.

Still spitting out those errors after removing OneDrive folder. :/

I'm just going to ignore these "warnings" and not use OneDrive. REALLY REALLY wish iCloud had selective sync so I didn't have to use another cloud service for work. ...

The only way I got rid of the warning was what I posted in post #4. Im clean now :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Alternative may be use other party software - sure, drive source software is usually better, but at least this does not seem to corrupt my drive.

I use Expandrive to mount all sorts of network drives and while it has its quirks and issues, it mounts OneDrive and lets me access files and work with the OneDrive as expected. There are other options than Expandrive.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Alternative may be use other party software - sure, drive source software is usually better, but at least this does not seem to corrupt my drive.

I use Expandrive to mount all sorts of network drives and while it has its quirks and issues, it mounts OneDrive and lets me access files and work with the OneDrive as expected. There are other options than Expandrive.

How are they with access speed? I used Mountain Duck but for whatever reason it's slower than all get out (not sure if it was the way I set it up or not). (Only tried it with Google Drive).

Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
How are they with access speed? I used Mountain Duck but for whatever reason it's slower than all get out (not sure if it was the way I set it up or not). (Only tried it with Google Drive).
No idea, did not find way to test. I suspect network speed is also important. And I suspect there cannot be so much optimization as with software made by the provider.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Hi Everybody, is this still an issue after all of the OneDrive and Mojave updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.