Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you using the new bug on your phone?

• Yes. My iPhone FEELS so incredible fast. I hope Apple never fixes this.

Votes: 92 49.7%
  • No, I like the animations

Votes: 93 50.3%

• Total voters

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Check your D&U (diagnostics) and see what is potentially causing it. Since 9.3.1, I have only had to redo it 2x.

while that could be useful...I don't understand hw to read it...Maybe i will try again and then see what changes once it stops working.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
while that could be useful...I don't understand hw to read it...Maybe i will try again and then see what changes once it stops working.

Look for an entry that corresponds or just precedes the drop of the animation bug. I've had my bug reset 2x. One I tied to a system reboot as a result of the calendar widget fail. The other - no clue. If I start seeing daily resets or something along those lines, that's where I start looking....;)

Reactions: BJMRamage

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I wish I could disable *all* the animations in Mac OS X. Why is there no "reduce motion" for OS X?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Can confirm it worked in iOS 9.3.1, on my 6s. Pro-tip: when swiping, wait until the Assistive Touch dot is about 2/3 up the keyboard area of your screen, then swipe back down. Took a few tries, but made it!

Amazing how fast it feels now. With that said... I doubt I'll keep it that way. It feels more 'natural' with the animations enabled.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
What moves around in OS X that is bothering you?

Just about everything. Expanding folders in a list, dialog boxes zoom into place now, windows zoom into place, quick look zooms, new folders animate to find their place in the list of folders (cutting off the first couple of letters if you start typing too fast while it's animating), certain UI elements animate (such as downloads button in safari).

Some of these things can be disabled, but folder animations, quick look and expanding folders animations cannot be disabled.

Reactions: trifid

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Why wouldn't Apple want to have a legit user setting like the "animation bug"? One has to be blind to not see the performance improvements with it. Maybe iOS 10 will include that setting.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why wouldn't Apple want to have a legit user setting like the "animation bug"? One has to be blind to not see the performance improvements with it. Maybe iOS 10 will include that setting.
A few potential things that might play a role in it all (from some of my previous comments about it):

I know a lot of people that prefer the movement and zooming animations and actually do not want to disable or change them as it just wouldn't look as nice for them, and part of the iOS experience for them is the look and feel and not necessarily the millisecond responsiveness that many of them don't even notice or care about. None of that is to say that an option beyond the reduce animation that's there wouldn't be good, but it's to say that for many users (in particular many typical users) animations and movement are part of what they actually want/like.

Also, for something to be a feature, and that's assuming that it's a feature that Apple wants to provide to begin with, it would have to be defined and refined to work properly (rather than a glitch that completely disables everything and in the process creates some visual/flow inconsistencies at times, as brought up by some in the thread about that glitch).

Another good reply by another user from a another thread that talks about this as well:
The animations are nice!
But they should allow input while animations and do them faster!

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
performance settings for operating systems have been around for over 20 years now, Really there is no defense not to have one in iOS. It will keep everyone happier. When I have this bug enabled, I think to myself, I don't need any speed upgrades from a faster processor.

Reactions: dk001

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
performance settings for operating systems have been around for over 20 years now, Really there is no defense not to have one in iOS. It will keep everyone happier. When I have this bug enabled, I think to myself, I don't need any speed upgrades from a faster processor.
And at the same time they don't even have them in OS X.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I actually managed to do this by accident and I wasn't really sure why my phone animations disappeared like I accidentally disabled some animation setting I wasn't aware of. My friend even noticed while I was using my phone and was like ... why is your phone so much faster than mine? But it was causing UI glitches like screen flickering when I pressed the power button. I apparently haven't restarted my phone in a few days because this glitch has been going on for a while now. I'm actually relieved to know there wasn't something wrong with my phone. After restarting my phone all the UI glitches were gone, including the power off screen flickering I was seeing.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Reduce motion doesn't affect animations in apps like photos where the photos still zoom open when you tap them. Why isn't that affected?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
dang once a week this bug/glitch stops working on my iPhone 6. :(
I am not draining the battery in full or restarting it.

it just stops working. i am having an unsuccessful time getting it to go back to the bug/glitch today. I tried disable animations but the slow fade feels slower than the zoom.

I just wish it was an option to remove the transitions al-together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.