Are you using your iPhone more than your computer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soberbrain, Sep 23, 2008.

?

Are you using your iPhone more than your computer?

1. I use my iPhone, more than my computer.

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. I use my computer, more than my iPhone.

34 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. It's about 50/50

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I've got a PowerBook that's been relegated to desktop use after a bad drop on it's DC (power adapter connection). When I got my iPhone it was great to do some casual web browsing around the house.

It seems I'm staring to use my iPhone more than my Mac to check email/schedule, read RSS, track packages, check sports scores/TV listings, and of course play games.

There are days when the only time I'll use my Mac is to sync my iPhone.

Has your iPhone changed your daily use of your computer?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Not so much my daily use since my laptop has flash and I watch a lot of video on hulu and stuff. But I'm going to be thrilled to leave my comparatively heavy mbp at home when I go on trips. I always used to take it for email, light web surfing, movies and games. Most of that is taken care of on my iphone.

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm in front of a computer all day at work (like right now!), so I get my fill of the intarwebz pretty hardcore.

But, I would usually turn on the old laptop at home after work to check out messages, some blogs and get TV listings or whatever - and I must say the iPhone has taken up this duty handily.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm using my iPhone in areas where I don't have WiFi for my MBA, so it's 50/50 right now.

5. Amt macrumors regular

I usually use my computer more. I mean, when I'm out of the house, I totally use my phone's 3G internet. ;-)

6. cere macrumors 6502

At work, obviously no. But at home, my usage of my MBP has dropped significantly. I often would be on the laptop reading and reply to emails, reading forums and various news sites while watching TV. This would mean that would almost always have the MBP in front of me while watching TV. Now, I only use my laptop when I need to load lots of pages or watch a video. My iPhone nows serves for checking emails and casual web browsing.

7. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, lately I have been using my iPhone a lot. Since my Macbook Pro has been in repair for the last 2 weeks due to problems with the machine and the repair center damaging my machine, its my only source to the internet. Actually, I will have to use the iPhone this week again, DHL is about to pickup my computer again....haha

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No. I'm a command-tab, multi-tasking junkie.

I channel surf with my TV and its even worse with my computer. I'll switch from Mail to Safari, hit refresh, and then switch back to Mail for the THREE SECONDS that it takes the website to refresh. Hey, I can read another 2 sentences in that time. Then, back to Safari!

So, while I love my iPhone away from home, it is nowhere close to a computer replacement. (I don't even like using a laptop at home. I bought the 23" monitor for a reason!)

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Meh, I'm more around 70-30 between computer and iPhone. On campus and at home, I need to write a good bit of crud every day, so the trusty 'ol PowerBook G3 comes along with me and gets used a good bit. However, if I have some downtime and am too lazy to get the PowerBook out of my bag, to the iPhone it is. Also, at home when I'm not typing anything, I'll usually just grab the phone to check my e-mail, surf the web, etc. Also, the iPhone has become my primary gaming rig! You can prolly guess from the laptop I cart around that I don't game all that much ;)

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I still use my iMac more than my phone at home. On the go I use my MBA either on wi-fi or with my laptop connect card.

11. lindsaykaye04 macrumors member

The only things I use my iPhone more than my computer for are Phone and SMS. I actually rarely use Safari. As for listening to music, I use my computer at home and my iPhone when I'm away.

I also rarely reply to emails on my iPhone, unless they are short responses. It's just easier to use the computer!

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I really don't uese either of my white phones for much these days other than making calls or checking the weather.

Because of this, I had one of the phones last 6 days on one charge.

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I voted for the second choice, but if this topic had come up about two months ago it would have been the first without a doubt. I had so much time to play around on the phone at work that when I got home there was nothing for me to do on the iMac. I kinda felt like I had wasted the money for it but now that I'm actually working at work, it's nice to have when I get home.

14. PurdueAV2003 macrumors newbie

While at work, I definitely use my computer more. The iPhone isn't ideal for making repair drawings! When I travel, though, my iPhone has pretty much replaced my MBP. While on the road, I often have to switch reservations on a moments notice, besides checking email regularly. The iPhone has given me the luxury of traveling without lugging around my laptop case. Security at the airport goes much quicker without having to unpack my computer. However, nothing is going to completely replace a good desktop or laptop. Thus, I put myself in the 50/50 category.

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Great thread. No, I'm not using it more than my computer, but increasingly there have been times where instead of getting up and going to my computer to do x or y, I'll just pull my phone out of my pocket instead. Especially in terms of looking things up for University classes online. Instead of hauling myself and my stuff over to my computer (which is not where I study usually), I'll just pull out my phone. It sure is becoming very useful for me, and in a lot of public settings too - like debating about sports stats, about world events, etc, and it provides me a lot of entertainment when I would be otherwise pretty bored out in public. Do I use it more than my computer? No... but I think it's getting there.