Are you using your iPhone provider's email address?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Aug 3, 2010.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Are you using your iPhone provider's email address?

Now that you have an iPhone do you even use your provider's email address i.e. (clown@att.com) or are you just using a few different pc email addresses since you can check them from anywhere? What's the advantage in using a provider's address when you can use any web based adress via iPhone?

2. Corey213 macrumors member

I didn't know I got an email address....esplain this to me

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Usually it's your phonenumber@att.com. All customers are assigned one when signing up. Oddly enough, they usually neglect to tell people this so no one knows about it most of the time. You can call up AT&T (or whoever your carrier is) and ask what your address is. Or if you send yourself a MMS, you can see what your address is.

For me, it's pointless really. No benefit. Seeing as I already have 6 email accounts on my phone, adding one more would just be another pain.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, you're referring to [phonenumber]@txt.att.net, and it's not actually an e-mail account. It's an e-mail to SMS gateway. That type of account won't work under iPhone Mail.

You CAN get an att.net address, but it's basically just a Yahoo account with att.net at the end instead of yahoo.com.

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Yeah I'm talking about regular email address from your provider not SMS.

Here in Japan Softbank has the iPhone so the email address is [clown@softbank.co.jp].

But like you said, there's no need for it especially when you can't check those accounts from overseas. I'll be using two gmail accounts one Hotmail account and one Apple account for MobileMe.

Question:

Since other carriers here don't have unlimited data plans, there's no point in buying an unlocked ip4 hey? There's only one carrier that has unlimited data plans which is the same carrier that has the iPhone, Softbank. Unlocking the iP4 to use on another carrier wouldn't make any sense. Why do people care so much about unlocked iPhones if they are in places where other carriers don't have unlimited data plans?

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I've been LIED to all these years :eek: FU AT&T

Some people just prefer unlocked phones bcuz they're unlocked. Those who travel abroad like having unlocked phone simply for voice plans (i.e. dodge the outrageous roaming fees from their providers). As for the data plans, same thing with the roaming fees since data plans can be astronomical as well. Even though it would be a limited data plan, it'd still be cheaper than using their own data plan from their provider. AT&T's roaming data plan is $20 per MB! Screw that.

7. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Here with Softbank it's about $45 USD per month for true unlimited. Total monthly phone bill totalling about $55 USD. So if you buy the iP4 cash, $55 is all you pay every month for an unlimited data plan. I don't know about other places in Europe etc but that sounds pretty good to me. For those who use the new jailbreak for tethering that's especially good value ;)

I could buy an unlocked iP4 in Canada since I'm Canadian and Apple is selling them unlocked in Canada then bring it back here to Japan, but then I wouldn't have an unlimited data plan so there goes that idea. Too bad you can't buy plans only hey? Bring Your Own Phone. BYOP

I'll unlock my phone via jailbreaking when I go to Canada I guess. I can always do a restore back to factory settings.

Hey!! I could always sell my Softbank iP4 online AFTER I sign up then buy a Canadian unlocked iP4 ;) Cool idea no? Many people would be willing to buy a brand new iP4 at a discount even if it was from Softbank. Jailbreaking enthusiasts. I'd be willing to lose up to $200 to have a legit unlocked iPhone I guess. Ionno. Sleepy. Going to bed.

8. EDF macrumors member

I know for a fact if you're an AT&T user you get a free @att.net address. Use it for Push email.

9. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

But all my mail is pushed via Google, MobileMe or whoever anyway. What's the diff? Why you need another att email acct?

10. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

If you are an iPhone user in Japan, you get an email xxxxx@i.softbank.jp which is a standard IMAP account.

When email is sent to that address, SoftBank servers push an alert to your phone similar to receiving a text.

I only use this address for giving out to individuals I don't know well yet. That way my @gmail.com is saved for those who I trust.

11. dagored macrumors 65816

You are correct. Just go to your phone info on AT&T on line. There is a link. I just signed up. Thanks.

12. butters149 macrumors 6502

13. dagored macrumors 65816

Go here:

https://www.att.com

Look to the right side - Manage your account - register etc.

It might be listed other places, but that is where I found the link for the email sign up.

14. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

looks like its pretty new. 1st time i have ever heard of it

found this in the message center on the left

Received: 06/21/2010 3:00 PM

Stay connected with an att.net email account with unlimited storage and enhanced features – and there is no charge! Plus, access your att.net email on your AT&T smartphone*. Sign up now and enjoy all of the many benefits att.net has to offer, such as:

* Great Content
    * Exciting Entertainment
    * Free Software
    * Customizable Homepage
    * Advanced Search, and more!!!

Learn More

* Standard data rates apply

http://www.att.net/s/s.dll?spage=host/getatt.htm&site=attportal&source=olam

looks like it's simply another yahoo account though?

15. joe3681 macrumors member

I use att.net email. It's Yahoo based but pushes better than Yahoo or anything else!

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

A major problem with using a provider's address is you may not be with a certain provider forever. I had a verizon address when I had DSL through them but ditched them eventually.

17. dagored macrumors 65816

Good point. That's why I will always keep my gmail account. I use it for the important - what I consider - email.

18. pitt1717 macrumors regular

can you use it with the apple mail client (imap)? do you get yahoo's calendar and contacts too?

19. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

I thought the 'i' in [xxx@i.softbank.jp] was eventually removed? That's what I have been reading on-line. Guess I'll find out. Anyway, why would you give people you don't know well the address that's more difficult to change? It's much easier to throw away on-line based addresses. For me, if anything I'd give my friends and family the provider's address (as well as my MobileMe address) incase of emergencies.

20. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I saw this in my AT&T OLAM the other day, however, I don't plan on using it.

21. joe414 macrumors newbie

Doesn't matter who you have, you can use att.net forever.

22. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

was just gonna say that. since it's yahoo based it doesn't matter if you stay with att or not, you can keep it forever

23. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

24. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Most likely if the user has an iPhone, they already have an email address.

I've had the same email address since the Gmail beta back in 2004.