Are you waiting for a new iMac? Please vote!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ManuelGnR, Feb 11, 2009.

?

Are you waiting for a new iMac?

  1. Yes, for a 20''

    14 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Yes, for a 24''

    82 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Yes, not sure which one yet

    19 vote(s)
    11.2%
  4. No, I am not going to buy an iMac

    28 vote(s)
    16.5%
  5. No, not waiting, but I will follow any upgrades and might be buying

    27 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. ManuelGnR macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2008
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #1
    Just a little poll, to see how many people are actually waiting for that update. As you can see, I am one of them.

    Please all vote. :)
     
  2. munson macrumors 6502

    munson

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #2
    I have the base 20" model from when Leopard came out, upgraded to 4GB of RAM.

    I'm waiting to see what the next big hardware upgrade actually is, and might contemplate upgrading to the new one if I have the funds.
     
  3. dcdreadhead macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location:
    D.C.
    #3
    Hello everyone! I'm actually new to the site and I'm looking for some sound advice. I've been a PC guy all of my life and I'm just fed up at this point to say the least. I'm ready to take the leap to Mac. I have done my research and have my eyes set on the iMac. I don't know if I should buy it now or wait for an update....if there is going to be one soon. The problem is I have the dinero now, but may not have it when the newer version is released. Please help.
     
  4. DJJONES macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    Location:
    Newengland usa!
    #4
    hell no sick and tired of waiting for an imac and macpro that i built a core i7 machine.
    which is just downright amazing.

    what angered me the most is that apple will possibly update the imac with new chips but it may not be nehalem i7 chips :mad:
     
  5. ManuelGnR thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2008
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #5
    If your pc is still running, I would wait. Just put the money aside for the Mac, you'll have even more money by then right? Or at least as much as now.

    But, sadly, no-one knows when they'll come.
     
  6. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

    iMcLovin

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    #6
    hell yes, I´ve been saving money for a new iMac for a long time. Since they never update I´ve saved enough and will buy the most expensive one when the new comes out (don´t care what specs that is :) ). ...that is, if they ever update...I guess I´ll keep on saving forever until one day I can buy the whole company and push some tighter deadlines on them :D
     
  7. Arne macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 14, 2006
    Location:
    Germany
    #7
    the new iMac is probably not more expensive than the current version...
     
  8. Reventon macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, ON
    #8
    Yeah, I'm waiting on the new iMacs as well. I want to get the 24" model with the 1 TB hard drive (possibly). I'll be making the switch from PC, so this'll be my first Mac. I was going to buy the new iMac earlier, but coming across this site from Google I'd figure I'd wait. My PC is still fine for now, and I plan to buy it around April or May anyway, so the new iMacs should most likely be out by then.
     
  9. m1stake macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Philly
    #9
    I don't want to buy a laptop that isn't portable. No thanks.

    If you'd like to get out of your contract early, check this out. The process is the same for every carrier.

    http://gizmodo.com/5032365/
     
  10. macmee Suspended

    macmee

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
  11. marbles macrumors 68000

    marbles

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2008
    Location:
    EU mostly
    #11
    No, I'm waiting for a refresh in the notebook line and a new MacMini of some description as I own a good screen already. mobile+desktop and not much more than an iMac ;)


    Oh dear.
     
  12. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #12
    Hi Guys

    Long time reader, first time poster. I've been waiting for an updated 24" iMac since november, hopefully won't be waiting too much longer! ;)
     
  13. Annngel macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    Location:
    Somewhere.. over the rainbow.
    #13
    I'm dying for it.

    I'll just continue sitting at that corner and continuously repeating.."patience is virtue."
     
  14. tominabox1 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2008
    #14
    how about an option "I was waiting, but bought when there weren't new ones on Jan 6th and wont regret it one bit?"
     
  15. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 8, 2007
    #15
    No, I don't even get my money's worth out of this Core 2 Duo. Don't need more power.
     
  16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

    likemyorbs

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #16
    i'm sorry, but there's absolutely nothing wise about getting the current model when it is a well know fact that the new one is coming out pretty soon, unless your old computer is broken and you need it right away.
     
  17. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #17
    Nothing bad in current models. I just posted this

     
  18. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #18
    I have a Macbook Air waiting for an iMac. Last month I gave up and built my first PC, a shuttle, for about $350 to keep me busy till an iMac 24" showed up.

    Hurry up Apple, that 24" is going to great with a dual screen.
     
  19. Grasbak macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #19
    put me down for a new 24"

    justing in the process of setting up a mates old eMac to see me through after my iMac G5 died..... decided to wait for the new ones!
     
  20. WeegieMac Guest

    WeegieMac

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Location:
    Glasgow, UK
    #20
    Having just finished two websites I've been working on via my freelance design work, I have £800 set aside for a new iMac.

    I currently use a 17" Intel Core Duo iMac (white), which has served me well. It still zips along nicely, doesn't get too bogged down by "spinning beachballs", but I would still like CS3 programs to move a little quicker and more fluently than it does right now.

    I bought my current iMac in February 2006 when it first came into stores (well, PC World in Glasgow anyway). As you'll know we now have an Apple store in Glasgow City Centre, and every time I'm in the City Centre I am drawn in "just for a look" ... but with £800 burning a hole in my pocket.

    I'm getting a little bit fed up hanging on for a new model of iMac and, having compared what's in the current 20" entry level model to what I'm using now, the step up in spec would be greatly appreciated. I am seriously considering biting the bullet and just buying now, the other reason being that I'm worried the entry level price could increase from the present £782 given the weaker rate of the £ versus the $.

    And then there's another thought entering my head, which is that I could just keep faith with my current iMac and buy a PAYG iPhone 3G for £349 to replace my 1G iPod Touch. No ... No ... No ... new Mac for web development must come first!
     
  21. Marsil macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    #21
    I guess I will wait and see both the new iMac and Mac Pro before deciding what to get.
     
  22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #22
    If you are questioning it, you don't need the Mac Pro.
     
  23. Marsil macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    #23
    To be straight I did not say I needed any of them! And please don't pretend YOU know. We need to see the specification before anyone can tell what to get. You sounds like a child!
     
  24. WeegieMac Guest

    WeegieMac

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2008
    Location:
    Glasgow, UK
    #24
    I don't think anyone is trying to talk down to anyone. I think the point Skil is making, if he doesn't mind me "butting in", is that if you're considering "either" an iMac or Mac Pro, then you probably don't need the Mac Pro due to the (inferior) specifications of the iMac in comparison.

    If you're willing to accept an iMac and the specs that come with it then yes, the likelihood is that you don't need a Mac Pro and what it offers as it may be far in excess of what you want/need/require.

    If I'm wrong, shoot me down though!
     
  25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #25
    Let's see:

    Potential dual/quad Penryn vs. Eight-core Gainestown Xeon

    I know their markets, so if you're thinking of an iMac, you don't necessarily need the power of a Mac Pro.

    Bingo. Good explanation. :cool:
     

Share This Page