Are you waiting for Macbook Pro Ultraportable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sinstoic, Jun 5, 2007.

1. sinstoic macrumors member

I would love to see one soon! The question is when: WWDC '07 or Macworld '08? If only Macbook had a powerful video card and an Expresscard/34 slot, I could have had it.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

if one does come it will not have the express card slot. the 12" Powerbooks never had an expansion slot, so I don't think that one of these would either. But I would love there to be one, so I don't have to eventually get a larger size than my 12".

3. sinstoic thread starter macrumors member

I agree. To be ultraportable, some sacrifices have to be made.

4. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

I'm waiting. For me 15" is just too big and the current Macbooks are wimpy with that integrated video. I'd love to see a 12" or 13.3" MBP.

5. Klisk macrumors member

If a 13" mbp isn't released at WWDC, is it really game over until '08?

6. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

If they don't release something at WWDC, then my hopes will be in the gutter.

7. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

YES. i am waiting for my 12 inch mbp. if not, i may end up buying a macbook. and hating it.

8. Klisk macrumors member

Man...

I may just be in the same boat at this point, I think.

9. robk macrumors member

I'm interested to see a ultra portable MBP, I'm waiting till WWDC purely for financial reasons, but if one turns up it'd be awesome. I used to have a 12 inch PB which I adored, it'd be great to get a similar thing again, maybe with a higher resolution.

What sort of specs do you think we'd get?

10. weeman macrumors 6502

Oh man, I really hope theres a 12" or 13" macbook pro. Judging by the LED screens ordered a few months back for 13.3" and since there was no 13.3" LED screens on the macbook update, I am hoping that theres a 13.3" MBP that is gonna be released at WWDC.

11. weeman macrumors 6502

Same same.

12. weeman macrumors 6502

I would say pretty much.

13. dcv macrumors G3

I love my 12" PowerBook and do NOT consider the MacBooks a suitable replacement. Too wide, glossy screen, crap keyboard, cracking casing etc is not for me. It's got to the point now though where I'm totally out of disk space and need more power, more RAM etc so I'm now probably going to purchase the new 17" MBP.

Yes, I just said 17".

IMO the 15" is enough of a beast in comparison to the beautiful little 12" that I don't consider it portable enough. So I may as well just upgrade to the 17" and keep the 12" for carrying around, or wait for the mythical ultraportable MBP...

14. meagain macrumors 68030

I am, but not a lite MBP. I just want a super lightweight MB or lower level laptop. I just want fast net surfing, no need for big HD, etc. I have a desktop and other storage, etc. devices.

15. Catonow macrumors regular

Please!

If they come out with a 13" or 12" MBP, I'm all over that. (Less than 12" is too small.) The only thing keeping me from jumping on the new 15" MBP is the (forelorn?) hope that Apple comes out with more portable version, and before October. But it has to have better graphics than the MacBook -- 128mb dedicated, at the very minimum. I don't even care if it has a SuperDrive, though it needs a DVD-ROM/CD RW drive for reasons mentioned above (loading applications, ripping and burning CDs, file backup, watching movies).

At present I have a 15" G4 1.33 PowerBook. But I've been traveling more lately, my back is getting worse, and it's become a veritable Atlantean load to lug about.

The question I have is:

1. Should I wait until Apple finally gets its act together and produces a truly portable pro notebook; or
    2. Break down and buy the new 15" MBP (a sweet machine, no doubt, but won't resolve my portability issues); or
    3. Break down and buy the latest MacBook (which from what I understand will let me down graphically and isn't that much less burdensome than the 15" MBP), thus saving enough money so that there will something left in the kitty to help buy the next whiz-bang ultraportable solid-state miracle that Jobs deigns to present us with?
    3. a) Corollary to the last point: Is the new MacBook sufficiently more advanced i) computing-wise and ii) portably-speaking, than my trusty (though overtaxed, and overtaxing) PowerBook?

16. mms macrumors 6502a

As much as I would love to see a 12 inch MBP next week at WWDC, I really doubt that it'll happen. It just doesn't make sense that Apple would upgrade the regular MBP line and then add to it a week later. I think that many of the people who were waiting and hoping for a smaller MBP would just give up and buy this newest revision so it would have made sense to upgrade the line and add to it at the same time.

I would love to be proven wrong, of course. Come on, Steve, I have $2500 just waiting here for you. I'm ready to place an order the minute they announce it.

17. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I would also consider going from a 12" PB to a 17" MBP as well, it has to be one or the other, no half measures like the 15". The third USB port helps as well!

18. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

What do you need an Expresscard/34 for?

19. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

ultra-portables are over rated, when could you ever be so encoumbered that you need something small than a regular mb

20. sinstoic thread starter macrumors member

21. mms macrumors 6502a

It's not that we all NEED the computer to be 12 inches. At least for me, it's just that I love how light and small my 12 inch PowerBook is and I don't find myself wanting more screen space. Personally, I don't see the need for 15 inches while on the road. But I do need better graphics than the GMA950.

22. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

They have 13" LED screens or at least ordered / looked into ordering them. SO i think the smaller laptop will be 13". Probably not THAT ultraportable but more portable than any laptop in the current lineup.

23. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Absolutely. I want a tiny little LED MBP. I will not upgrade until then.

24. spyderracer393 macrumors regular

same here...I love my 12" PowerBook, although it is feeling slow these days...

I prefer the 12" form factor to the 13", not to mention, the 12" has the nice pro keyboard and doesn't have those sharp edges like the MacBook does.

I hope it (if it comes out) has a 12" screen, backlit pro keyboard, <1 inch thick, ExpressCard slot, 2 USBs, a FireWire 400 and 800, and a new version of mini-dvi, that supports dual-link DVI, for the 30" Cinema Display (as well as a dedicated graphics card.

Oh yeah, and a user replacable hard drive, like in the MacBook.