Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
You should read John Grubers blog, it gives great perspective on the mini in regards to retina display (or lack of)

http://daringfireball.net/2012/10/ipad_mini

I really can't relate to John Gruber though. He runs a technological blog. He had to buy the iPad Mini because his work requires it. So he can complain of or make excuses for the lack of Retina all he wants. At the end of the day, he'll buy this iPad Mini and then next year's iteration too. I don't think it's prudent for me to do that though.

Truth is, Apple could have charged me the exact same price as an iPad 4 if the Mini had a Retina Display and I would have bought it. I just can't go back to non-Retina, so will be waiting for next year.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Of course I'm not waiting. I have owned every ipad to this point and the 16gb mini is almost at a price that practically makes it disposable.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
you only live once... i am buying every gadget i like (like mini) and besides, i have 2 kids. they can enjoy my gadgets whatever they want. that makes me happy

nanotoj

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2010
I will be eagerly following all the rumors of the iPad Mini with Retina on my iPad Mini without Retina.

Same here. The people at Apple opted for this configuration for the mini and odds are have a plan in mind for the next few versions. I have it pre-ordered because it meets my current needs which mainly have to do with portability. I pre-ordered without any hesitation except over the color and size. In many ways I consider this my entry level iPad and I do see a full size one in my future as well.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I have an iPad 2 which still works well. Want a Mini but can't justify switching to it with current specs. So will wait for next generation.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
In addition to the quote above, John Gruber also said this (conveniently left out of the post above):

“Wow, it feels like a Kindle.”

“Ew, the screen is terrible.”

That was my wife’s initial reaction when I handed her the iPad Mini to see what she, an avid daily user of an iPad 3, thought. Her initial reaction matched mine exactly, and perfectly encapsulates the experience. The iPad Mini is not a device you need to spend a lot of time with to understand. My snap reaction from a week ago remains unchanged after a week of daily use.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Who the **** is john gruber... im not working and making money just to believe his opinion.

i just saw his post and he compare screen mini to 3Gs LOL

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I don't think a retina screen on the iPad mini is as inevitable in the next revision as people seem to think.

While I hope I'm wrong, I agree with you. Even though I am buying an iPad Mini now, I would be first in line for a retina release. I doubt the technology will be ready in 12 months.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
While I hope I'm wrong, I agree with you. Even though I am buying an iPad Mini now, I would be first in line for a retina release. I doubt the technology will be ready in 12 months.

The tech is already here. What makes you believe it won't be ready in 12 months?

ZivaD

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I'm waiting for the next ipad mini, but I have ordered the current one, when the next one arrives I will give the current ipad mini to my mother, at the price they are cheap enough :)

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Waiting for the first REAL iPad mini, the one with the retina display. Until that time, I'll be happy with the iPad 4 (with retina display), the MacBook Pro 15" (with retina display), the iPhone 5 (with retina display), and the iPod touch (with retina display). Oh, and the Kindle Paperwhite, which is a much better e-reader than the obsolete iPad mini.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The tech is already here. What makes you believe it won't be ready in 12 months?

The tech is here but not available that small. If anything the retina display In its current form would have most certainly increased the thickness of the mini, alongside a bigger battery to power it (or suffer reduced battery life) and again issues of heat dispensation (the iPad 4 gets just as warm as the 3 when running intense applications according to many reviews)...

We all would have loved Retina, but practicality wise it just was a no for time being. In 12 months if they have managed to create thinner retina panels that require less power, a chipset that likewise offers increased performance with less power requirements and further improved battery technology, we will undoubtably see a revised mini. But those enhancements especially when micro-sizing things tend to cost more rather than less, so we can only hope with those refinements if they happen (no reason they couldn't in 12 months) then the price /cost of a mini doesn't increase too.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I can't do it this time. If I pay full rate now and justify an upgrade 6-12 months by now by selling the old one, I'm enabling them to play me for a sucker. They get full retail each time, so they have no incentive to really innovate, push hard and earn my business.

If this product had a better screen OR higher stock memory OR a lower price ($299) - any one of those things, I'm not asking for two or three of them, I'd buy it. But I'll just wait for the next version.

I'm with you there, absolutely.

I know I'd love the Mini's size and weight, and maybe could accept the screen though it'll be hard. But I got burned on the original iPad performance going to crap with iOS 5, the iPhone 4 getting a severely nerfed iOS 6 and now the iPad 3 that I no longer expect to run flawlessly come 2014. This time, I'm sitting out and will be fine with my Nexus 7 for a small tablet.

saab9573

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2009
I've ordered the Mini to replace my ipad 2, no way I'm gonna wait 12 months for the "new" Mini to come out just because of a retina display...yes because I doubt it very much that Apple will release a new one in April....I laugh at people that complain about the Mini having no retina but are writing on this forum whilst looking at their non-retina laptops....:D

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
I've ordered the Mini to replace my ipad 2, no way I'm gonna wait 12 months for the "new" Mini to come out just because of a retina display...yes because I doubt it very much that Apple will release a new one in April....I laugh at people that complain about the Mini having no retina but are writing on this forum whilst looking at their non-retina laptops....:D

Why - because you think we don't notice it on the laptop? I sure do. But a rMBP is a whole other league price wise from the iPad and not an option at this time. Simple.

clyde2801

macrumors 601

You mean the people who have other things to do with their paychecks than handing them over to Apple, Inc.?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.