Are you waiting for Penryn chips? Please tell...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spicyapple, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. spicyapple macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
    OK, so MR has posted a news item on Intel demoing new 45nm Penryn laptop chips, ready before the end of this year.

    ... a few improvements.

    - 45 nm
    - lower heat
    - better battery life
    - SSE4
    - quad core (possibly 8-core?)

    Great news to those waiting, like myself who's still using an old, slow 2004 PowerBook. But given the delays in going from 90nm to 65nm, it might be possible the transition to 45nm could prove troublesome for the chipmaker.

    Should I buy a MacBook now, or should I wait for Penryn?
  2. MacNut macrumors Core


    Jan 4, 2002
    Buy now or wait a year. We still don't know if these chips will ship on time.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    Don't buy anything. Just use your PowerBook till it blows up then use a pen and paper.
  4. valdore macrumors 65816


    Jan 9, 2007
    Kansas City, Missouri. USA
    the penryn rumors coincide with my time frame for getting a mac desktop. w00t!
  5. bearbo macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
    i always thought only newbies would ask this kind of question. i think you are above that, spicyapple.

    someone has to say it... so "buy it if you need it now, wait if you can(or have the money and REALLY REALLY want it - i added this part myself)", but i'm sure you already know this.

    if you have the budget, then i say go for it, you can get it when the next one comes out, it will probably take another yr and half, seeing how fast they adopted merom.
  6. SMM macrumors 65816


    Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    First of all, it is nice to see you posting again.

    As for the 45nm process, I suspect they have solved the manufacturing process. Otherwise, it is just a PR show. However, they have provided availability guidance, so I would also think they will deliver the goods close to their published schedule. I read a blurb that indicated their reject rate was still above optimum.

    Rumor has it, the 32nm is also on track, but lacks engineering for the production phase.
  7. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Well, Intel did say that we can expect double digit percentage in speed increases, a nice way to say 10%.

    10% is not exactly revolutionary IMO, but it sure is nice to have!

    I am waiting for a better screen worthy of the "pro" moniker though.
  8. j26 macrumors 65832


    Mar 30, 2005
    My next upgrade will likely be in the first half of 2008 (before I finish college, so I can still avail of student pricing), so it sounds like perfect timing for me.

    For you, if the powerbook still does what you want, hang on to it, but if you need a faster processor and longer battery life, get a macbook now. My 2.0 CD was a fine choice for me for what I do.
  9. Diatribe macrumors 601


    Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    Always depends on your needs.
    Not all people want a faster processor. I for one need a bigger HD, which is the driving reason for a new notebook every 1 1/2 years.
    As soon as they put 250GB HDs in the MBPs one is mine. :)
  10. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    I actually found this bit on the 'pedia

    Gilo... multi core?

    What is that supposed to mean? Quad core processors for laptops?
  11. siurpeeman macrumors 603


    Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    i didn't want to wait for anything any longer. i bought a macbook a month ago.
  12. acoustics940 macrumors member

    Dec 14, 2006
    If you wait a year for a new chip why not just wait another extra year for the next newest one?? Or maybe another 2 years for the even newer one!!!!!!
  13. flopticalcube macrumors G4


    Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    IIRC, Intel has no current plans for a quad-core mobile cpu. Of course, they could always change their minds. :)
  14. maxp1 macrumors regular

    Feb 12, 2005
    I'm waiting for 10.5 and the Santa Rosa chips. That's as long as I can wait. Hopefully that upgrade will be fairly significant and offer some other things like LED backlight and lower power cunsuption pre-n wireless cards.
  15. kerisimasi macrumors member

    Jul 1, 2006
    why not buy now and sell later

    Here's a thought - if you need one now, get a MBP, then sell it when the new Pennryn has proven itself - maybe G2. I can't imagine they would charge too much for it, and the resale is good on
  16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    It's kind of suspicious that the timeline calls for Gilo as the successor to Merom and coming out in "2006/2007"....
  17. flashphire macrumors newbie

    Jan 28, 2007
    I read somewhere among my internet travels that Penryn is likely to be delayed an extra 3 months or so. If it was upto me, I'd just buy a new one now and not delay for that chip. There's always bugs to workout when you shrink an architecture- so don't count on it being instantly great.
  18. Episteme macrumors regular

    Jan 25, 2007
    ... or should you wait for Nehalem ... ? ;)

    Unlike Penryn, Nehalem will have complete SSE4, and should continue the improvements in the heat/power/battery stakes. Due sometime 3/4Q 2008, if I'm not mistaken.

    You can wait for shinier, faster, better forever. Unless something's imminent or the next iteration is especially compelling to you, it's generally not worth hanging on, IMO. Leopard and Santa Rosa are probably worth waiting for if you're not absolutely desperate for a new machine, but another six months or so on top? Probably not worth it... I only think it's worth it for Leopard/SR because the two will likely arrive together...
  19. acoustics940 macrumors member

    Dec 14, 2006
    I think you can only have so much fast. I didnt know people actually needed terabytes of ram and 10.0ghz cpus I think current chips are fine I wouldnt waste money on something just because its new
  20. SMM macrumors 65816


    Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    I agree with you, with the small exception of investment protection. Assuming a person wants to get >2 years use out of an investment, even a 2 year old machine can seem antiquated. Personally, I do not see it that way. Computers have become so powerful, many people do not actually use the processing power they have.

    Hardcore gamers seem to be the worse. They often do not have a clue as to how a computer actually works, but they read (when possible) about the latest/greatest and just have to own it.

    But, that is the world we live in. I have only one personal complaint. All of this powerful hardware is making for some very sloppy programming.
  21. ready2switch macrumors 6502


    Apr 7, 2006

    By the time I work that machine to death, there will be something even better than Penryn around the bend to look forward to. (Whereas right now, almost anything will be better than my hand-me-down Dell) :D
  22. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    What I find funny is Gilo is a 65nm chip.

    With "multi" cores and the same feature size wouldn't that make a big ass processor for a small laptop?
  23. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular


    Dec 6, 2006
    Planet Earth
    i'm waiting for 10.5 .. that's it.. I can't wait forever for the newest.. because that always changes.. I just can't afford a 2K laptop and another 129 for the new operating system.. and since i'm already running tiger.. i'd like the new OS.

  24. Episteme macrumors regular

    Jan 25, 2007
    Nope -- package will be the same size.

    The real problem is heat dissipation -- bear in mind how hot some MBPs were with dual core processors...
  25. Queso macrumors G4

    Mar 4, 2006
    **squeezes spicyapple's cheek**

    You little attention seeker you ;)

Share This Page