Are You Worried about no Built in Superdrive? Don't Be!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smoking monkey, Oct 23, 2012.

1. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

It seems that a lot of people are worried about no internal superdrive.
    It is NOT a DEAL BREAKER!!!

For those who don't know or aren't sure, it's absolutely simple to connect a USB superdrive from any number of makers to your imac via... USB. It acts exactly the same as an internal except it's external.

They start from around 40bucks (and you could get them even cheaper online).

I have a 44buck LG and it works fine with my 2008 imac.

Hope this helps.

2. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    I actually prefer it because if it goes wrong you just get another one ... no need to send the whole iMac away for repair!

;)

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Not many people will worry; it's kind of expected that the optical drive get removed. Don't fit into Apple's view of the world anymore. And is fine, too.

4. I8P'CS macrumors 6502

Yes the machine looks nice, But optical drive is removed and the price of machine goes up, Then Apple want more money from the customer for usb drive,Firewire adapters!! They really are taking advantage.

Its a miss for me due to a few things!! I'll pick one up in a year or 2 when HD are faste and maybe the machine comes with so SSD on all models.

5. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I have been preparing for this i am buying movies and tv shows on iTunes, same as games on app store the only games i have on optical disc is diablo 3 and starcraft 2 and i still can obtain them as digital. However there are still some TV shows in iTunes i can't find in the Aussie store which might sting me, aside from this my iMac is still young a bit over 2 years i like the design of the new imac and the new ports i can use which my current 2010 imac doesn't have i am stuck whether to wait it out for retina display whenever it is coming. For everything else i own has a retina display (Macbook Ipad, iPhone) and i am seeing the imac lagging in its screen resolution apart from that its is one hell of a skinny machine a supermodel of computers i like to see how this effects the competition.

6. jwp333 macrumors member

Call me old fashioned, but I'm a person who likes to download music and then be able to make cd's for use in the car. I can't hook my iphone up to the car stereo. So I'm really disappointed in the lack of a burner on the new iMac. Using a plug-in burner seems contrary to the whole all-in-one idea of the imac. Not a clean design to have the separate box sitting next to your iMac because your imac can't burn a cd due to the designers' goal of making the thinnest computer possible. Not about to give up on Apple, but I've got a 5 year old imac I was ready to upgrade, but now I'm not so sure I see the upgrade path anymore with this new iMac. Maybe I'd be better off hitting the refurb store for the current model. Or maybe a Mini would be better for me. Can the Apple plug-in burner sit underneath the Mini and look like 2 Mini's stacked?

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Velcro the external Superdive to the back of the iMac. Problem solved.

8. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

If that's all that was taken away from the entry level 21.5" I could live w/ it but.. they also took the firewire port away. I know the $30 adapter works fine, but... they downgraded the entry HDD to 5400rpm. That may be a deal breaker for me. They don't even offer the new fusion drive until you get to the next level 21.5" and it's yet to be seen what that option will cost ($250 likely).

So, w/ all three combined it looks like I may go w/ the 2011 model afterall.

9. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Wait and see. But I think you've hit the point that a lot of folks missed. Apple raised its prices pretty significantly. Not that there is anything wrong with a for profit company doing that. But you are right, that base level iMac is not really viable in the same way the old one was. That doesn't mean it isn't just as powerful as last years, which it is, but that in practice you just aren't going to get it. You want the small iMac now . . . you are going to spend several hundred dollars more than you would have when the 2011 models were introduced.

10. WilliamDu macrumors regular

Genius!

I love it!