Are your keyboards disgustingly shiny?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cherry su, Aug 20, 2008.

1. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

After ~2 years, most PC laptops' keyboard are disgustingly shiny due to finger oils (proof? look on ebay for used PC laptop pictures). Do PowerBook/MacBook Pro keyboards become like that after long-term usage?

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yes, but it will take a long time for this to develop on the keys, but it will also develop on the trackpad much faster. The new MBP seems to have a coating on the keys instead of being formed with texture, I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing, but try one of these, it will save your keys and keep them looking brand new. Also keep skin flakes/dirt from under the keys.

3. cherry su thread starter macrumors 65816

cherry su

yea, my trackpad is becoming shiny and my palmrests are experiencing corrosion, but the keyboard still looks new! after two years of [heavy] usage, i think that's good…

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I use PDA screen protectors from Fellowes called "WriteRight." I buy them at wal-mart for $5 and there are 10 or 15 sheets inside. You have to trace and cut out the trackpad & button design yourself, but it is really durable and much cheaper than the skins they sell at :apple:. And for the palmrest, I suggest a Marware pad, they're better for your wrist too as they are cushy.

5. cherry su thread starter macrumors 65816

cherry su

I think I have some leftover WriteRights; I used them to protect my iPod video. I'll look into the Marware pad; just have one question about them - does the left one get hot after a while from the electronics under (seagate hard drive of MBP Core Duo is hot)?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't have the Malware, but my Palmguard doesn't get hot.

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

The wrightrights are the cheapest way to go and work nicely. I change mine twice a year thats all they need. It will be a little hard to track at first but once they get a little body oil they will track fine. It's different than the rough texture you're used to though. My powerbook gets warm on the left side, but not my MBP... Is it just during intensive HD activity or regular use?

8. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Nope.

....but I'm typing on a 1989 M3501 Apple Extended Keyboard II :)