Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
As owner of many various mac pro include: 4,1 Dual + 4,1 Single + 3,1.

Although some of them are still fast (e.g. 12-core 2.93+GTX680+4xRaid0 SSD),
i realise that my mac pro aging (my 12-core just pass 5 years of heavily use).

However, as i still cannot effort on a new model (need to pay $8000 to get a faster system).
I trying to use my aging mac pro for a years or two.
In a manner that, i keep in mind that 6-years old mac can be failure anytime.

So, i have to ask MR that how your mac pro still works, are you got any problems?

PS. i also own 2 of powermac g5 (1x1.8 2003 model, 2x2.5 2004) and powermac g4 (2x867 MDD)
three of them still working beautifully.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
As owner of many various mac pro include: 4,1 Dual + 4,1 Single + 3,1.

Although some of them are still fast (e.g. 12-core 2.93+GTX680+4xRaid0 SSD),
i realise that my mac pro aging (my 12-core just pass 5 years of heavily use).

However, as i still cannot effort on a new model (need to pay $8000 to get a faster system).
I trying to use my aging mac pro for a years or two.
In a manner that, i keep in mind that 6-years old mac can be failure anytime.

So, i have to ask MR that how your mac pro still works, are you got any problems?

PS. i also own 2 of powermac g5 (1x1.8 2003 model, 2x2.5 2004) and powermac g4 (2x867 MDD)
three of them still working beautifully.
I hear you. I have 4,1 single...but it's still good. I realized that i need to jump to up to date model...but there isn't one yet. The 2013 model is pretty cheap for 6 core education price.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois

I donated my 09' Mac Pro to my wife as her main machine. It still works but it does have some issues mainly with sleep. At some undetermined point it started locking up on wake and you have to hold the power button, wait, hold it again to power it back up. It may be the actual switch or the power supply on it's last days but it is nearing 7 years old so hardware is bound to start failing. If you buy a used one just know that going in.

dfritchie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2015
My 2006 is still my main home computer...... Nothing has failed in it yet, bought it new in 2006, still running strong after 9 years - on 24/7 365 days a year :)

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
Mine is a 3,1 from 2008 and it's still...
Great 2008.png

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I feel the key is to keep these computers clean... using compressed air to blow out all the dust inside and your computer should run for many years to come. I usually take apart my MP 1.1 twice a year to get all the dust blown completely out and clean the fan blades and the computer has been running without any issues after 9 years of use :)

macwalle

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
For now five years I’ve been happy to own an Early 2008 MacPro 2 x 2,8 Quadcore,
and during the years I slightly upgraded this marvellous machine:

Now it runs with 14 GB of RAM, an Apricorn Velocity PCIe-Card with a 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD on board,
an Inateck 4-Ports USB-3.0-card, a Powercolor Radeon 7950 PCS+ Boost State graphics card,
and, boy:
it works like a charm!

This computer is as sturdy as a tank, it’s running 24/7, and I really love it!

My first Mac I ever used was a Performa 630 in 1994 (running OS 7?),
since then I’ve been continiously in love with Macintosh computers.
They just worked ;-)

I do mostly DTP
(still on Abdobe CS3 – do I need further iterations of Adobe’s CS-Suite? No, I won’t!)
and video-editing/-encoding,
my almost used operating system today is Mavericks.

Sometimes I need to switch to Yosemite because of the newer releases of FCPX –
but I deeply dislike the clunky and kindergardenish look of Yosemite/El Capitan,
and even more I’m not amused about the crappy software-design that comes with Yosemite/El Cap.
Apple, where are You going today and in the future?
Sadness all around …

I know, in some technical aspects the Early 2008 today seems to be a little bit outdated
(e.g. power consumption and the pretty expensive ECC-RAM),
but its design and its sturdyness are unsurpassed until today.

I sincerely don’t know any other computer that would have been able to run permanently
about almost eight years in such a flawless condition. ;-)

BTW: I beg pardon for my deficient English, it’s not my first language –
I’m a local news reporter from a small community near by Hamburg, up in the North of Germany ;-)

PS: I’m still earning my money with that great machine …

The »cheese grater« is one of the best computer-designs
Apple ever had invented!

I hope Apple some day will turn back to the roots …

Last edited:
Reactions: firedownunder

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I sold my old Mac Pro 3,1 about 2.5 years ago. While it was still running fine, whenever I pulled the RAM riser cards, I required multiple reinsertions before all he RAM would be recognized. Fortunately, they are not something that needed to be pulled out often and once it recognized all the RAM, it would continue to work fine indefinitely.

My Mac Pro 5,1 continues to work flawlessly and runs 24/7.

The Mac Pro 1,1 which I sold eons ago, also worked flawlessly up until the day I sold it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.