Areas of trackpad unresponsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SChaput, Jun 16, 2011.

1. SChaput macrumors regular

Hello All,

I have a Macbook Pro from mid 2009, the unibody model. I have had no problems with it until this recent one with my trackpad.

I am physically able to click the trackpad and can hear and feel the click response. However, it doesn't always register the click on the screen. If i move my finger around the trackpad clicking, it will eventually work in another area.

My computer is no longer under warranty so I took off the back and readjusted some of the screws relating to the trackpad, but it has not resolved the issue. I am hesitant to take it to an apple store, or authorized dealer out of fear of the pricetag. I am aware I can buy replacement trackpads online for less than 100 dollars. But i'm worried if that doesn't fix the problem then i'll already be 100 dollars invested in this problem, and end up at an apple store anyways.

Obviously i'm only asking for speculation and dont expect anyone to know the exact answer, but due to the symptoms listed above, does it sound like something that can be fixed by replacing the trackpad? or maybe something more?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Ask the Apple store for a price, I think a trackpad should be $51.14 and labor should be 39.00, at least that's what the applecare paperwork said it would have cost if I did not have apple care on mine.