Areca 5026 Firmware issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ilandmac, Feb 16, 2016.

1. ilandmac macrumors member

ilandmac

Areca has steadily bumped the temps in its firmware so that 5026 enclosures would not bother customers
    with fan noise. I made the mistake of updating and went from 50° something to 69°. I'm at firmware version : V1.52 2014-04-18 and these temps are way too high and close to the alarm trigger (71°).

Any ancient version or pointer to where I can download it would be appreciated.
    So far as I know, the Areca site only list the latest version.

ilandmac

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

That's ludicrous - my drives in Thunderbay IV and 4 enclosures (3 in total) keep the drive temps below 40° C...

I think the only people that can fix this are Areca....

3. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

First off, to reply to matreya, according to Areca that temp being reported is not the drive temp, but the controller (CPU) temp. I can put my hand on my drives and verify that.

ilandmac, I have had the 5026 since late 2013. It came with 1.51, and I immediately upgraded it, before even using it, to an early release of 1.52. What really bugs me about their system is they have kept bumping versions (you can tell by the date stamp on the file), but they have kept the revision level number at 1.52. So the only way to tell them apart is by their date stamp.

I, too, have noticed different temperature performance with different versions of the firmware. One version I was running kept hovering around the high 60's when using the computer (not even accessing the drives that much), but would cool down when the computer went idle (I never let the computer sleep, only go idle; my monitor is the only thing that using power saving mode).

I finally hit a "version" of 1.52 that is keeping the temps in the high 50's/low 60's. This is the way the original (2013-12-11) 1.52 behaved. So, now, I refuse to upgrade it any more, even though there have been a couple of releases since then. I don't have them all, but I do have six different versions of 1.52 squirreled away (data packrat). Since the file you download is always named the same (ARC1214.zip), I have renamed each download to include the date in the file name. I am currently running 2014-12-12, and that works well. I am not sure what would happen if you downgraded a version.

Perhaps you might want to PM me?

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Ditto. This is my pet peeve with Areca - anyone know what they are thinking? Love them otherwise.

A.

5. ilandmac thread starter macrumors member

ilandmac

--- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2016 ---
    Thanks for your answer, should have kept my earlier firmware...

How do you pm ? I think I did by starting a "discussion". Hope that's how it works

6. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I don't know anymore, with this new forum software. I don't see any ability to PM, or to send an email to a member via their profile. Going to someone's profile and "starting a conversation" says it goes into a Forum called Conversations, but I don't see that forum listed, and I can't find your conversation. So, just email me: henry[at]hup.org