Areca ARC-1880i 8 Port SAS RAID Controller Windows 10 Home Driver issue

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fpacheco1960, Oct 6, 2016.

1. fpacheco1960 macrumors newbie

fpacheco1960

I have a cMPMac Pro and I am having problems with windows 10 Home and the Areca ARC-1880i RAID drivers.

Current Specs:
    - 2009 cMP Mac Pro 4,1 with the EFI updated to a 2010 cMP Mac Pro.
    - (2) 2.26 GHz Quad Core 45-nm Xeon E5520 (Nehalem) processors.
    - (1) NVIDIA GTX 680 “Mac Edition” Graphics Card.
    - (6) 8 GB, DDR3 ECC, 1333 MHz RAM (48GB Total) down clocked at 1066 MHz because of CPU’s.
    - (1) Areca ARC-1880I 8-Port PCI-E x8 512MB SAS/SATA RAID Controller installed in Slot 2.
    RAID Card flashed with MAC EFI Firmware (Required for OS X)
    All hardware and cables required to connect 4 Hard drives or Solid State Drives
    -(2) SANDisk 480GB SSDs attached to the Areca RAID.
    a. SANDisk SSD #1 installed with OS X Yosemite 10.5 with correct Mac RAID Drivers.
    No issues with RAID and SSD on the Yosemite drive, survives multiple reboots.
    b. SANDisk SSD # 2 installed with Windows 10 from USB Installer in EFI Mode with Correct RAID
    Drivers, (Intel Storport64), loaded using the “F6” method from USB during install.

Here is where the problems arise:

After I load the Intel Storport 64 bit driver using the “F6” method, Windows 10 installs fine no issues, and after installation completes, everything appears to work with no issues, and Windows will reboot correctly for a couple times.
    After I perform the following:
    1. Shutdown or reboot the Max Pro,
    2 Hold the Option Key down and wait for the Boot Disk List to Display,
    (Takes forever because of the RAID Card Initialization)
    3. Choose the Drive Icon Labeled “EFI”
    4. Windows 10 Begins to boot, then screen goes to black, with no cursor, and hangs there.

Observations:

- I have not installed the NVIDIA GPU Drivers, or anything else.

- While Windows 10 was working it displayed a notification that windows is “updating the display adapter”,
    Also I usually cancel two windows displaying “installing driver” because they never complete.

If Anyone has any suggestions, Ideas, help, or experience with NON-APPLE RAID Controllers, if you could reply to this post, I would be most grateful..

2. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

This is a known problem not related to your storage card. The GTX680 Mac Edition does not work with Windows EFI once it switches away from the generic display adapter drivers. You need to install Windows BIOS/CSM or get a different video card.

Some history:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-gtx680-windows-efi-problem.1959255/