Aren't Newstand Magazines Suppose to Download Automatically?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by robjulo, Apr 19, 2012.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

I thought one feature of the Newsstand is that magazines in your library would update automatically. I have subscriptions to both Golf and Time but neither one automatically download.

It lets me know I have a new issue, but I have to manually download each time.

Am I missing a setting or simply wrong about the auto download?

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Some do some don't.

Fast Car doesn't
    Engadget Distro does

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I don't recall hearing that anywhere, and I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea.

Do you really want the iPad to automatically chew through 700mb of your data plan if your wifi is off by chance or you're not near a hotspot?

4. robjulo, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

If it is plugged in and has a wifi connection, I absolutely want it to download automatically. Should be very easy for the app to figure out if both of those criteria are met. In fact, one of the settings is to download automatically when on wifi which is checked.

EDIT: It is actually my Golf Digest that is not downloading automatically. Time and Golf are not on newsstand. When I click on Golf Digest, it prompts me if I want to download the latest issue rather than having already automatically downloaded it.

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The ones that do have a "use cellular" setting (on/off).

6. Getitdone macrumors member

I am notified when my New Yorker magazine is ready for download each week - I'm pretty sure that the new cover its the one that shows up on the Newstand.

I like having the option to download it when I'm ready - each issue is pretty large. In fact, I have to archive a lot of the old issues that I have finished with - they accumulate pretty quickly.

7. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

You have the option by going to settings and either telling it on or off to automatic downloads. My entire point is that for Golf Digest, even when it is set to "on" for auto downloads, it does not do it automatically. I have to manually tell it to and then wait for the download.

I did some searching and it appears this is an ongoing, unresolved issue that may be magazine specific.

8. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

That was a smart question/ sarcasm.

9. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

It's definitely up to the developers. I'm subscribed to about 5 magazines and only 2 or 3 actually auto-download. What bothers me is that The Daily used to and then all of a sudden stopped.

10. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This is similar to the other thread that's on here. But, most magazines allow automatic download in the background. It would only use cellular if you let it and you have to turn it on/off for it to do it. It's in the store settings.

You can toggle the on/off for certain magazines. I get a notice once a new issue has been downloaded and ready for me to view. I don't need to download.

[​IMG]

----------

No. You choose this option. You can turn on/off background downloading of magazines and usage of cellular data.

11. djmodifyd macrumors regular

its very buggy

sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Today Distro did not auto update, the last few weeks it has. The daily has not auto updated for about a month, and popular science did not auto update.