Aren't the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros the same?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alonzo84, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

If you were to have a new MB and the current MBP side by side, wouldn't they be exactly the same performance wise? Other than the color and lack of a few ports on the MB, the spec sheet on Apple's site makes them sound identical (assuming that both have the 2.26MHz processor). Am I wrong in thinking this? If I am, what are the benefits of the MBP (besides the obvious; aluminum, SD/FW slot)? And if comparing the two, which would be the better choice?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You are correct, they have the same specs.

Which is the better choice for you? Dunno?

Well, do you need the firewire or the backlit keyboard or the SD slot?

3. Alonzo84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I thought so, on paper, they are exactly the same. I just keep reading posts about how much faster the MBP's are and how much better the graphics are.

I have no need for firewire (at the moment at least), I could live with a USB SD card reader, and as for the backlit keyboard, I'm pretty sure the display would give off enough light to illuminate the keys. I do really like how the MBP doesn't attract half the grime and smears as the MB (I do like how the MB looks, as long as no one EVER touches it).

I guess my real question is whether or not those features are worth the extra price, and would the aluminum body REALLY be that much more durable than it's polycarbonate step sister? And does anyone have any knowledge of the possible changes Apple would make to the MBP in a future update?

4. gilljoy macrumors member

I think this is due to the Macbooks getting a refresh quite lately, the new MBP if they come out at the end of the month will be faster than the macbooks

5. Alonzo84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Do you think that's all they will do, or do you think they will go nuts and redesign the whole thing like they did with the MB? And when Apple releases an upgrade, do they immediately discontinue the older version or do you still have the opportunity to purchase one without going used or refurb?

6. gilljoy macrumors member

i've honestly no idea but i dont think it'll be a whole redesign mayb just a slight speed increase and bigger HD im not certain

7. BlackTurtleNeck macrumors newbie

Just a little different

I'm pretty confident the unibody MBP has a higher color gamut than it's predecessor. I'm not sure if this change translated into the new White unibody model or not. Regardless, this may or may not be noticeable to you. The new White unibody model also has a non-slip rubber bottom to it. It might be a small thing, but have your Mac almost fall off your lap once (or twice) and you'll be thankful for it! Someone once told me, when you need a new Mac if you don't think a new one is coming out next month, buy what they're selling today. A 3 year old Mac is still better than anything running Windows.

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Definitely no redesign. It's going to be a speed bump. If I was to take a guess, and it is a complete guess, the high end 13" will become the low end 13". The macbook pro was redesigned late last year. I would not be expecting a redesign for at least another year, probably longer.

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Theres another 3 years left in this design yet. There might be minor superficial changes but i don't see the design changing radically