Aren't you afraid of bricking your touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stang68, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey guys and gals,

I am new to the Jailbreak scene and am not sure if I want to do it to my touch. I have heard all the stories of the bricked iPhones and am worried that if i do it with my touch, i could **** it up. Also, I am not that computer savvy, so I probably wouldnt even Jailbreak it right. But arent you scared of any future Apple updates?

2. ohio state fan macrumors member

if your stupid enough to update your ipod without restoring you deserve to get ibricked

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I'm not in particular. These hacks we're performing do nothing on the hardware level, only on the software level to the operating system. If we mess up, we can fix it or restore it with ease. As for Apple Updates, we can restore prior to updating.

4. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

no im not afraid best buy warranty + idiots at best buy= if it messes up it gets replaced

and all the jailbreak requires now assuming you use touchfree5 found in threads on this forum all you have to do is copy one file on your computer and turn you ipod on and off a few times. putting mail.app weather.app and the other iphone apps is slightly hard but there are many people that have posted step by step directions on how to do that.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, I'm not afraid because nobody's has been bricked yet. The only thing that can do that is the iTunes updater; I'll let some guinea pigs do that first.

6. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Frankly, I'm ******* terrified of bricking my pride and joy. I want to see what apple does to those who do jailbreak, and what the upcoming updates will bring.

7. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

yea, I think I am going to wait for the next update to see what happens. According to a recent post, the calendars will eventually get add/edit feature. Who knows what else they will release for the touch? Notes has got to be a given.

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

If Apple releases that update and adds Mail, my need for the jailbreak is gone.

9. GrimmGreen macrumors regular

and notes and maps and allows customization and games , then yes , no need to jailbreak

10. mistashizzle macrumors member

at first a little, but to put it simply. NO

its almost impossible to mess up your ipod in this way. You might mortar it, and have to restore, but completely bricking it is a HUGE stretch.

(btw: mortar = messing up to the point of having to restore)

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Not hard at all just copy a few files to the Touch. Clicky clicky.

EDIT: I gots a link in my signature now to download the iPhone apps.

12. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I was at first but after messing up the jailbreak at first I realized that I just could restore it to the original factory settings if I had to. Plus, it is really amazing how the functionality of the touch increases with the jailbreak.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I would be surprised if apple were to do so

10% hacked iPT have mails and maps
    vs
    apple voluntarily give out maps, mails to 100% users and give people reason not to buy iPhone?

sounds very unlikely....IMHO.