Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I've been wanting an external hard drive for literally at least a year, but there are WAAAAAYYYY to many to know which one to get. There is really no way to get any reliable information on any particular product. Which hard drive should I get? I don't wanna just find a good deal and hope for the best because I've heard to many nightmares about sudden and total data loss. ARG! Gimmie some good advice!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
motulist said:
I've been wanting an external hard drive for literally at least a year, but there are WAAAAAYYYY to many to know which one to get. There is really no way to get any reliable information on any particular product. Which hard drive should I get? I don't wanna just find a good deal and hope for the best because I've heard to many nightmares about sudden and total data loss. ARG! Gimmie some good advice!

OK.
Get a MacAlly PHR-100AC aluminum case and a 3.5" Seagate Barracude 7200.8 250 Gb 7200 RPM IDE (UltraATA/100) drive (not the 7200.9) with a 8 Mb cache and a 5 year warranty. Two minutes with a Philips screwdriver, and you have an excellent drive with an unbeatable warranty that will do Firewire 400 and USB 2.0

Got that?

Good. Now just be aware that this drive, like every other drive in existence, is going to suffer catastrophic failure one day. Should be something like 5 - 6 years in the future, but it's a Bell curve my friend. Keep backing up your documents and music to CD-R/DVD-R,

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Okay, thats weird. I clicked this thread planning to suggest the exact same thing. I just got my macally case and seagate HD (160GB) today in the mail. I love it. I have three external hard drives and this is my favorite one (plus the light turns a groovy pinkish color when the drive is being accessed, reminds me of a lava lamp).

Coutsy

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2006
What are people's views of the Lacie drives and the Lacie D2 Triple Interface in particular?

Would the Macally external enclosure mentioned be compatible with a windows based PC assuming the hard drive is formatted appropriately?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I'd just point out that the Barracuda 7200.8 drives want 2.8A, and the Macally enclosures come with 1.5A power supplies. There have been problems reported with this combination, as in for some people it doesn't work at all. A beefier enclosure would be a good idea.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Hey, I have the LaCie D2 extreme 250GB external hard drive and i'm very happy with it. It is a little noisy at times but its nice and fast so i don't mind. I know you can buy an enclosure and make your own external but if want to just buy one ready made i have no problem recommending the lacie.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
What's the problem with external HDD failing? Why are they proned to fail more than internal HDDs. I haven't had a HDD fail on me in my life.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
starnox said:
What's the problem with external HDD failing? Why are they proned to fail more than internal HDDs. I haven't had a HDD fail on me in my life.
You're just lucky :) All drives, internal or external, are mechanical creatures and subject to wear and tear. Some last longer than average, some less.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
starnox

Well to think about it, most external drives don't have fans/cooling and second even though we all take care of ours, they are more prone to movement.
As for HDDs that fail, there are many people that use them under heavy load, 8-12hrs. a day, 5-7 days a week and so on. Even the best HDDs will tell you to knock it off from time to time ;)

Darn, iMeowbot got here first ;)

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
I have had problems with LaCie HD's failing to mount, making strange noises, etc - all conveniently right after the warranty runs out. I am happy with my Macally enclosure. Besides, the seagate hard drive has a FIVE YEAR warranty! I also have a Bytecc 120 Gbyte and it has never complained in the two years I have had it.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
If you want a high quality external HD, build it yourself.

Get an enclosure and then buy a nice HD. They work fantastic and are much cheaper then buying a branded model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.