Arg - Need help - what a predicament!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jonjamesm, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jonjamesm macrumors regular

jonjamesm

I'm being offered an Iphone 3g 16 GB for £160 pounds!

The only problem is that handset is BLOCKED - the seller lost his phone, got the handset blocked, got a new one on insurance and then found his phone.

Its basically an ipod touch, but I want it as a phone.

How easy would it be to get it unblocked?

Answers on a postcard - cuz this is a great deal, no? Or do you all think it sounds dodgy as foooook?

2. alFR macrumors 68020

I don't think you'll be able to get it unblocked easily - basically it's now the same as a stolen phone in the eyes of the networks. Anyway, it isn't that great a deal - brand new iPhone 3G on £35/mo contract is £159. Even if you want to use it PAYG I'd steer clear, probably a lot more trouble than it's worth.

3. Yossarian macrumors member

The networks will have no interest in unblocking it as it'd open them up to a very simple fraud using their insurance.

4. jonjamesm thread starter macrumors regular

jonjamesm

I've since been told the handset works fine, like a say its as effective as an ipod touch.

Its just blocked on 02 - as in if I unlock it to orange (which I would need it to be). It'll work. - further thoughts?

5. deadsouls macrumors regular

just get another iphone. i highly doubt you wont be able to find another deal.

6. alFR macrumors 68020

No it won't. If a handset is blocked it's added to a database shared by all the networks, so it won't work on any. If that wasn't the case, people would steal phones, unlock them and sell them for use on another network. The only way to get a blocked phone working again is to reprogram it, which is a criminal offence. Seriously, is it worth it?

7. jonjamesm thread starter macrumors regular

jonjamesm

No, your right - its not worth it... but the guy has just offered me £100 for it to use an ipod touch.

Thats pretty neat though - right?

8. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

that's still a pretty good deal. If you're not in love w/ o2 and plan to use a different carrier it's a good buy.

What info from the phone do they use to block it on a network?

9. jonjamesm thread starter macrumors regular

jonjamesm

Well as stated before, and as I found out today blocking the phone on one network blocks the phone on all networks.

Dunno how they do it, must be something in the handset.

But 100 quid for an ipod touch (even if it is in a 2g housing) - let me know what you think

10. alFR macrumors 68020

The IMEI number, I'd imagine.

If you're happy to use it as a Touch (with the bonus that it has a camera as well, of course) then it's an OK deal. Just remember it won't have any warranty coverage though (at least, I can't see them warrantying a phone that's been reported lost).

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

12. sparkyms macrumors 65816

In order to use it as a Phone you need to change the IMEI, which unfortunately is illegal. Now, depending on whether the insurance is with a different company than o2, your friend might be able to tell o2 that he found his phone and it will be unblocked, but then that opens up a risk that your mate will get done for Insurance Fraud.

£100 for a 16gb iPod touch is a steal tho.

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Changing the IMEI is illegal in the UK/EU, but not in the US.

14. alFR macrumors 68020

Er yes, but the OP is in the UK....

15. fishmoose macrumors 68000

You can change the IMEI easily just google it, but it is illegal but so is walking across the street when it's red and we do that all the time.

16. sparkyms macrumors 65816

did you check where the OP was from and the currency of purchase?

Are you suggesting he send the phone abroad to change his IMEI? Nice..

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

No I'm not. Use of a spoofed IMEI is illegal in the EU, regardless of where the change was performed.

It was more just an FYI type thing -- I'm well aware that it's illegal in (what I presume is) the OP's country.

18. sparkyms macrumors 65816