Arg, pesky question marks in my system bar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Mohtek, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Mohtek macrumors newbie

I have a handful of applications I have removed and question marks remain in my system bar. I have used the option+ "drag off", and they are removed for the current session, but after I reset/turn on the computer, the question marks come back I'm not sure how to remove the icons. What steps am I missing?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What "system bar" are you talking about? Your Menu Bar at the top of your screen? Your Dock (typically at the bottom of your screen)? A sidebar in Finder? Can you take a screen shot and post it?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like something from one of the uninstalled apps is still trying to launch something upon restart. Open System Preferences / Users & Groups then look in the login items tab to see if something is still on that list from one of the uninstalled apps. You can select the item then click the minus at the bottom left to remove the item.

4. simsaladimbamba

Do you mean the Finder toolbar?
    [​IMG]

Tried COMMAND instead of OPTION yet?

5. Mohtek thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a problem in the dock

working on too many projects ATM, that word fell out of my mind for a moment, as I had stated, the option+drag does temporarily remove the icons, that is until reboot :D

6. simsaladimbamba

Do the items on the Dock, that reappear after a start-up, have a small light below them, indicating, that those applications are running? Or the items on the right side of the divider?
    And what about Mister GGJstudios' suggestion?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the items show to be running, delete any non-essential items from the following locations:
    • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
      (Lion users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/ and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

• /Library/StartupItems/
      (Lion users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path)

Also, it may help to delete the /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist file, then in Terminal, type this followed by pressing enter:
    killall Dock​

8. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I've never heard of option- dragging something off the dock- all you have to do is drag it off...

check your login items in system preferences. If the apps you have removed are still there, possibly they are causing this problem?