Arggg...extremely frustrated! Please Help! (router issues)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by queshy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hi,

So a few weeks ago my trusty old linksys b wireless router died, after proving me with around 5 years of loyal service.

I replaced it with a D link cheapo G router (30 bucks) and it was so bad that I returned it and got the D Link DIR 655 "n" router (I have a macbook pro that can make use of "n" networking).

My iMac and laptop are literally right next to this router (less than one foot, no obstruction) and I get a signal of 60% (according to the web utility provided by D Link). The signal fluctuates, dropping often.

And my sister who has a macbook tried iChatting with me in another room and the video quality is way too choppy to work. Just for comparison - on our old linksys router it worked fine, so I know it is not my computers.

Sometimes I lose a few bars of signal strength on my iMac even though it's literally right next to it. Same thing happens to the laptop.

I'm very frustrated. I took the time to follow all the instructions, set it up, secure it, etc, and it's not working well at all. I find my internet to be noticeably slower because some pages often take a few more seconds to load than normal.

Is the router defective? Should I return it and swap? Or should I ditch the router and get another one? I was thinking that the new apple router is probably very good, but the price is a little steep. But I am willing to pay if the quality is there.

They just don't make em as they used to, I guess.

Thanks in advance!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Heh, I'm amazed at how fast you can get replies on this forum.

I tried changing the channel but it was blanked out...wouldn't let me change it. I'll go try again though, thanks.

Edit: Ok it was set to auto so I changed it to ch 11 and I'm still getting like 50-70% signal. Should it even be higher? What is considered normal?

4. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

iStumbler will show what channels networks round you are using so you can choose one with a big gap. I get a very reliable connection on around 40%.

5. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Ok, so I found that I get the best reception on channel 5.

My mbp gets 80%, my iMac and 700m each get around 65-70%. In windows on my dell im getting a full 5 bars ("excellent" strength) - but 65% doesn't seem like excellent to me lol. i wish I could see what is normal for this kind of router.

and why does my mbp get so much better reception than my iMac? They're both equidistant from the router.

This is so frustrating. Now my iMac is showing only 3 bars and the internet on my mbp is super slow.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Mhmm, now I'm not saying that you'll necessarily have a better experience, but have you considered returning again and getting a Linksys? Their products are usually great, and your old Linksys was good as far as I can tell, until it went and died.

7. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

I guess you're right. I originally bought a D Link just to spite the Linksys because I was sooo angry that it died. Like I totally wasn't expecting it. Even though it was 5 yrs old...

I worked at a big box electronic store so I knew that the D Link wasn't selling for very much above cost...but the linksys routers were selling for way above cost so I figured the D Link was better. I don't work there anymore and I almost want to puke at the markup...so I guess that's another reason why I was avoiding the linksys haha.

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I don't like Linksys much or D Link.

We now use the Apple Wireless N router and it is great, better then any router out of the 3-4ish router we have used.

Try it out :)

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

From my experience, notebooks generally get better reception because their antennas are located in the lid, where the plastic is very thin.

I would exchange the router for a Linksys.

10. minik macrumors 65816

Wondering about the chipset for the D-Link N-based wireless router. Any newer firmware for the D-Link?

Meanwhile, my experience with the Apple 802.11n base station is very positive.

11. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

When I moved out on my own, I got a D-Link router. Prior to that I was using Linksys which was flawless.

I figured the D-Link would be fine. I was wrong.

I experienced the same problems you're talking about. I'd experience a dropped signal with the laptop sitting right next to the d-link.

In my opinion - and it's a shared one - the D-Link a terrible router.

I ended up getting the airport express which never dropped a signal. Today I use the airport extreme - also good but some would argue isn't worth the money.

Return the D-Link and get a Linksys if you don't want an airport.

12. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

thanks!
    whats the difference between the old AE vs. the updated one? just gigabit ethernet? Will it support g and n at the same time?

13. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Ok, I realized i dont need gigabit ethernet so I just got the old one (very good price, too), the router is so far working OK, ichat video conferences no longer lag. More testing required...