Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
I believe Apple will introduce a new or improved iMac. The market is competitive, Win 7 will get lots of attention and I expect Apple to roll out an impressive line up (at least I am hoping) around or just shortly after the Win 7release. Just makes good business sense going into the holiday shopping season.

I am waiting to buy my first iMac /apple computer after years of owing a PC. XP/Vista/Win 7 not for me anymore.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Here's the reality: definitely no new iMacs this year. The reasons are technical. There are no new mobile chips that would work for the iMac - the only possibility would have been the i7, but it's too expensive and would not fit in with Apple's pricing and margins. People speak of speed bumps, but on the high end, there is nowhere to go, really, and they're not going to do it on the lower end, because that would bring this too close and lose differentiation between the models. And of course it also means, that if there were to be a mere speed bump, they would hardly bother to waste resources on re-designing the case. At best, at the absolute best, they may do a minor price drop. The updates will happen next year, when the chips will be available - Arrandale. So relax, enjoy the old iMacs, and dream of new computers far off into the future... already the iMacs are overdue for a refresh (see buyer's guide), but hey, if the chips are not there, they are not there. This will teach you patience. Be patient, wait and wait, and wait, even if the world passes you by, you gotta keep waiting and waiting and waiting on Apple, because there really is no choice. Keep waiting, then waiting some more. And more waiting. Patience. Then wait.

pj-

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
Here's the reality: definitely no new iMacs this year. The reasons are technical. There are no new mobile chips that would work for the iMac - the only possibility would have been the i7, but it's too expensive and would not fit in with Apple's pricing and margins. People speak of speed bumps, but on the high end, there is nowhere to go, really, and they're not going to do it on the lower end, because that would bring this too close and lose differentiation between the models. And of course it also means, that if there were to be a mere speed bump, they would hardly bother to waste resources on re-designing the case. At best, at the absolute best, they may do a minor price drop. The updates will happen next year, when the chips will be available - Arrandale. So relax, enjoy the old iMacs, and dream of new computers far off into the future... already the iMacs are overdue for a refresh (see buyer's guide), but hey, if the chips are not there, they are not there. This will teach you patience. Be patient, wait and wait, and wait, even if the world passes you by, you gotta keep waiting and waiting and waiting on Apple, because there really is no choice. Keep waiting, then waiting some more. And more waiting. Patience. Then wait.

What's wrong with i5?

youyou

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Sold my 24" Imac over a week ago on Ebay because i thought we were going to see an update/refresh last week.
Last week went by and nothing now i'm thinking maybe i made a mistake and we won't see an update/refresh for months!!!

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Sold my 24" Imac over a week ago on Ebay because i thought we were going to see an update/refresh last week.
Last week went by and nothing now i'm thinking maybe i made a mistake and we won't see an update/refresh for months!!!

There is far too much evidence to suggest the iMac update is coming within the next few weeks. Don't worry yet. If November rolls around and we here nothing, then worry because Apple doesn't like releasing products that soon before Christmas.

stever500

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD.
Don't you guys know anything?!? :)

I'm in the same boat, as I posted in the other thread. Bought an iMac over the phone 2 weeks ago, still isn't here yet, found this web forum, saw that I may be buying the "end of a model", thought that I should send the iMac 24" back before I even open it up, so that's what I'm planning to do. They said that it's fine to do that, so I think I will.

If I can get a newer version of what I fell in love with at the store (24" iMac for $1299 with my discount), then I will. It's supposed to come tomorrow. I'm chomping at the bit to get rid of my slow Dell, but I guess I could wait a couple more months through slow computer hell (I'm pretty used to my ultra slow processor by now) or till January if I can get a "new" iMac for less or with a design upgrade and speed upgrade.

The truth of the matter is that I'm really an idiot. I should be happy with the current iMac and wish I had never found this site! I have a 20 gig, 7 year old Dell with 512 mg of ram now compared to, well, you know the specs of the iMac 2.66 machine. For what I use it for, surfing, emailing, word docs, storing 500 pics a year on hard drive, some Excel spreadsheets, etc, the current iMac is ALL I need. But, being the egotistical fool that I am, I don't want to end up with the "old Mac" when a "new Mac" could come out within 3 months.

What to do... I guess I'm going to wait and send the machine I get, back. I feel bad for Apple but that's life. Or, I may be so excited when it comes tomorrow or the next day that I open it up, start using it, and go on my merry way.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Don't you guys know anything?!? :)

I'm in the same boat, as I posted in the other thread. Bought an iMac over the phone 2 weeks ago, still isn't here yet, found this web forum, saw that I may be buying the "end of a model", thought that I should send the iMac 24" back before I even open it up, so that's what I'm planning to do. They said that it's fine to do that, so I think I will.

If I can get a newer version of what I fell in love with at the store (24" iMac for $1299 with my discount), then I will. It's supposed to come tomorrow. I'm chomping at the bit to get rid of my slow Dell, but I guess I could wait a couple more months through slow computer hell (I'm pretty used to my ultra slow processor by now) or till January if I can get a "new" iMac for less or with a design upgrade and speed upgrade.

The truth of the matter is that I'm really an idiot. I should be happy with the current iMac and wish I had never found this site! I have a 20 gig, 7 year old Dell with 512 mg of ram now compared to, well, you know the specs of the iMac 2.66 machine. For what I use it for, surfing, emailing, word docs, storing 500 pics a year on hard drive, some Excel spreadsheets, etc, the current iMac is ALL I need. But, being the egotistical fool that I am, I don't want to end up with the "old Mac" when a "new Mac" could come out within 3 months.

What to do... I guess I'm going to wait and send the machine I get, back. I feel bad for Apple but that's life. Or, I may be so excited when it comes tomorrow or the next day that I open it up, start using it, and go on my merry way.

Or you could wait. Wait until Arrandale is good and ready and Apple did their work fitting it in. That means about March 2010 or so. So wait. Wait and be patient. Just wait. Wait. I am going to buy a mini come end of November, then the iMac once they update it in 2010. But for now - wait. Just wait. That would be my advice: WAIT. KEEP WAITING AND WAITING.

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
15x6e4j.png

IrmaN

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2009
Since there are no new news today, does this mean that the next possible "deadline" is in 7 days?

Leon575

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
Thursday october 15th. 7 days before the Windows 7 release.... we get the new iMacs.
2 days left, guys... 2 days!

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Thursday october 15th. 7 days before the Windows 7 release.... we get the new iMacs.

i'm still hoping for today. The wait is killing me. I need a computer for the home before Halloween for sure. I could always get the current gen iMac, but if there's something better...

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Since there are no new news today, does this mean that the next possible "deadline" is in 7 days?

well, its not exactly late in the day right now, especially in CA. It's only 6am there. Usually when there's a silent update, it'll happen within the next two hours. If it's not then, then it probably won't be today. :-(

pale9

macrumors regular
Original poster

do what i did and get a mac pro. pretty sure nothing new coming in that department anytime soon and it's very slick and fast.

there have been far too few rumors on the specs for a machine that is supposedly just around the corner. hey, we hear more about the freaking tablet mac which will be released who knows when.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
do what i did and get a mac pro. pretty sure nothing new coming in that department anytime soon and it's very slick and fast.

there have been far too few rumors on the specs for a machine that is supposedly just around the corner. hey, we hear more about the freaking tablet mac which will be released who knows when.

I've been waiting, but the Mac Pro is just a bit too expensive for not enough features I want.. Like AirPort wireless, ability to use the remote, DDR3 memory (I was looking at the 1999 refurb yesterday with DDR2.)

So for me it's either a current gen iMac or MBP.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
well, its not exactly late in the day right now, especially in CA. It's only 6am there. Usually when there's a silent update, it'll happen within the next two hours. If it's not then, then it probably won't be today. :-(

The Apple Store would already be down by now. Nothing is happening today. Apple also does not release new products on the day after a holiday typically.

Most likely, an invite will go out later in the week for next Tuesday.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
The Apple Store would already be down by now. Nothing is happening today. Apple also does not release new products on the day after a holiday typically.

Most likely, an invite will go out later in the week for next Tuesday.

if you say so. I figure next week is the absolute latest I can wait without getting a new pc

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC

Product releases don't typically happen on Thursdays. They pretty much always happen on Tuesdays. The only exception to that rule is if there's a US holiday on the Monday of that week.

And sure enough...

There is a *chance* that because of the US Columbus Day holiday on Monday, that we'll see updates tomorrow (Wednesday, 10/14) instead of today. If not, I'd expect them on Tuesday, October 20.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.