iPad Argh, Apple has made it too hard :S rMini vs Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NeuroticaPills, Jan 13, 2014.

1. NeuroticaPills macrumors newbie

I realize this is the worst first world problem ever, but I'm annoyed beyond right now, haha.

Ok, I had the original iPad, then the iPad 2 and then the iPad Mini. I loved the mini, I swore to everyone who I talked to that I would only ever use the Mini form factor, it's the best lightest single handed device I ever used. Note: at this point I traveled with public transport for 3 hours each day.

So, I wanted to upgrade to the rMini and I did. And it's an awesome device, for sure. The Air was tempting but I convinced myself that I spent the entire of last year saying I loved the Mini size and weight.

Then: I decided to buy my mom a refurbished iPad 4 as a present. It arrived today and I installed all her favorite games and apps. Turns out the screen is such better quality than my rMini. The colors are so much better, reading pdf's and comics on it is amazing. Dare I say it, even better than on the rMini.

So here we are, doubting if I should sacrifice the portability of the rMini for the amazing screen of the Air. I now have a new job where I have to travel by car for 15 minutes, so the portability just isn't such an issue anymore.

I know most people favor the Mini form factor around here, and I do too for a lot of reasons. But argh.. Apple has made it so hard to choose.

2. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

A couple of points for your consideration......

First, the screen of the full sized iPad does have a larger color gamut than the smaller screen on the Mini. I do photography, and that's one reason I stuck with the full sized iPad when I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air.

Second, remember that with these two devices, the screen is the way you interface with it. I prefer a larger screen because you have more area for touch control, as well as a larger viewing area for books, movies, web pages, or documents. On this point, it's really just a matter of thinking about your own personal preferences and how you wish to work with the device. Once you've answered those questions, you will know which sized device would be best for you.

3. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Since you already have a mini, just play with an Air in the Apple store. Or just go ahead and buy one. You have two weeks to return it if you don't want to keep it.

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

No. It's only in your mind. Even if Apple made 50 iPads with 0.1" increment in screen size, but identical otherwise, I'd just select one that fits my needs and forget about the rest.

Unable to choose from multiple choices is a form of OCD. But it takes just a little willpower to shed off the indecisiveness and just pick one and enjoy it.

5. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about that; plenty of people around here prefer the Air to the mini.

I prefer the mini myself, but from what you're saying, the Air sounds like it might be better for you. Certainly the Air is lighter and smaller than the iPad 4. Analyzing the pros and cons can only take one so far; after a while it comes down to personal preference and gut feeling.

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Also consider, the Retina Mini has more PPI then the Air.

7. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

Get the Air. I had a mini retina and while it's nice the bigger screen is much nicer for web browsing and just about everything else. Plus the Air is much lighter than previous iPads. :apple:

8. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Keep what you have and be happy with it. As soon as you make a switch you'll find a reason to be wistful for the iPad mini again.

The retina iPad mini has a great screen. The pixel density is amazing. Yes, it doesn't have the range of colors as some other tablets. But as you said, you don't really notice that until you compare one to another.

9. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I was in the same situation as you, swore I'd never go back to a full size iPad after having the mini. Didn't even consider the Air when it came out, I patiently waited for the rmini. Ordered one immediately and loved it immediately. But then, we got an iPad Air in the household. It's just so much lighter than previous full sized iPads. The screen is amazing. I use it just as much as my rmini, and am glad I don't have to choose between the two, because if I did have to choose, I'd probably choose the Air.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Try the Air out. And if you don't like it, return it within the time frame, and get the mini.

Asking people which one you should buy is pointless, as they are not you, and they aren't supposed to think and make decisions for you.

Take the time to make an informed decision on your own.

11. NeuroticaPills thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!
    I blame the confusion on the fact I have two iPads in my house right now. After spending a couple of hours going back and forward, I came to my original conclusion that the smaller form factor is worth more than a slightly better screen.

So I'm sticking with the Mini. It's an awesome, lightning fast device and it's true that my 'problem' is very non-existant and I should just enjoy what I have without spending more cash on something I don't need, haha.

Thanks again :)

12. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

don't worry...the Air will always be in the back of your mind and you'll wanna upgrade later. I know from experience ;)

13. Misskitty, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

Misskitty macrumors 6502

Exactly same for me, thought i was a mini user for life and never go back to full sized ipads. I was the biggest fan of the mini in the year I had it.

Well I went with Air this gen and its been 3 weeks now after returning the rmini and I dont miss it at all. The bigger and noticably better screen, plus better speakers and only $80 more was the deciding factor for me. That and the air isnt bad at all carrying around cause its only 1/3 larger and barely an heavier. The airs screen is less strain on my eyeballs and dont have to zoom in anymore.

I find it hard to use a mini screen now, it feels comprimised and crammed. It just doesnt give you the same experience like a full sized does, especially for games. Air 2 will be slimmer and even smaller than the Air 1, so i highly doubt i go back to the mini ever. The rminis screen is an absolute failure in my books, $400 for a tablet screen that has 65% gamut? No thanks. Tabs half the price have better screens than the rmini for color gamut.

And then you factor in the image retention of the rmini and thats another flaw i just couldnt live with. Sorry, but image retention on a $400 tab that is considered a premium device is just unacceptable, theres no other way to put it. Where tabs half the price dont suffer from this issue at all. People who say this isnt an issue, are just trying to accept the fact that they have to live with it on theirs and cover up the root of the problem. The more people have this way of thinking, then the more Apple will continue to cut corners on quality control in the future, cause they will see that people are willing to live with image retention, yellowing etc, so lets continue on with it!

I feel value in the air, because for a tab this size, the only competition the air has is the Samsung 10.1 2014. Otherwise the rmini, i feel a complete fleecing in the rmini cause the competition in 8" tabs is way over the top, theres just so much. In the month of Dec, Ive tried out about 4 or 5 non Apple 8" tabs, and saw what the other side has to offer at down to earth prices, and i just couldnt justify the rmini for all the shortcomings it has.

I dont care what anyone says, but after using the rmini and air side by side for 3 weeks, I could easily see the better gamut in the air, its very noticable to me, especially in games. Screen and picture quality is probably the most important factor in a tablet for me. I mean its no different than buying a tv. Its all about the screen first and foremost, and everything else comes after. No way id buy a TV with 65% gamut, so I didnt see it being any different with the rmini. Then when I put a Nexus 7 or DV8P next to the rmini viewing the exact same screens and see that the rmini is noticably washed out...thats when I knew i couldnt keep the rmini.

If Apple didnt jack up the price of the rmini and put in a full gamut screen with as good sounding speakers as the air, then i would have stayed with the mini again. I know quite a few people who were former mini owners as well and converted to the air mainly cause of the same reasons.

Thats a terrible excuse and reasoning to try justifying that you paid $400 for a screen with terrible color gamut, image retention and yellowing. Apple cut corners on the rmini screen and its the reason why I know a lot switched to the air. Its like saying "Im buying a 70" TV, but it doesnt have full gamut and ill only notice when its next to another tv...otherwise it doesnt bother me." For me, it was always on the back of my mind everytime I used the rmini because I knew what the display put out, it wasnt what it should be. I felt ripped off and taken advantage of everytime i used the rmini.

The rmini screen is trash. This is coming from someone who has used 7-9 different tablets from different companies over the past month and I couldnt go back to the rmini screen. Retina is hogwash on the rmini when the gamut is inferior to tabs half the price.

14. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

15. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

My decision too. Was a tough call, but after a few trips to the Apple store to compare them I just kept coming back to the rMini. Now that I have traveled with it a couple times I am even more happy!

16. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Good to hear! I originally bought the 32GB Verizon Retina Mini and then exchanged it for the 128GB Verizon Retina Mini.

Best decision I have ever made. The screen on my Mini is near perfect, even lighting with no yellow or anything else that I can see. I bring it with me everyday and I bought a Incase sleeve to slip it into with a smart cover.

Enjoy your iPad!

17. sixrom macrumors 6502a

There are too many variables to expect anyone to do your thinking for you. While it's a common trait of many Apple customers, decisions are best made by oneself.

Personally I see distinct advantages in both sizes, so I bought one of each. Now that I've had them for some time I'm really glad I have each of them. iPads are an accessory for me, used to relax & get away from the laptop just for fun. For work nothing comes close to my 15" retina MBP.

18. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

It boiled down to $ and 1 handed vs 2 handed use for me. For $100 less and the better one handed experience I went with the rMini. I loved my Air too... but I got twice the storage (also switching from Cellular model to Wifi saved money) and I got an open item rMini for $70 off retail on top of that. The color gamut thing sucks but it's also only noticeable when you've got both iPads side by side. I happily use my rMini every day for hours on end and it works out great! Videos looks great. Web pages and pics are great and being able to hold it in one hand like an actual book is nice too! I do miss the larger screen for videos. But ultimately I'm happy with my choice.

19. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

As someone who was in no way worried about price, I made the same choice. It just feels better. Easier to thumb type on, easier to slip into a pocket, the works.

20. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah colors not so great on mini. I would have gotten an air for the size alone. Pulse it's really light to.

21. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I bit the bullet and bought both. The rMini is the perfect tablet for reading in the subway since I can hold it by a single hand. The Air is much more comfortable to the eyes due to its screen size and the gorgeous screen (much much better in reproducing colors dare I say again). So now I bring the rMini with me but use the Air exclusively at home.

And no - my rMini doesn't have any image retention issue at all after testing via Marco Arment's website.

22. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Have you tried to leave it on for 24hrs? Try it.

23. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Why would anyone do that? That's not how you test an iPad for image retention. Why? Because no one uses their iPad that way, it's not real world usage.

24hrs is insane.

24. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

[​IMG]

Look at this pic for 24 hrs. You need to change your eyes too.

----------

Actually I tested on some display units at the Apple Store. You don't need to turn on the checkerboard for 24 hrs. I found one rMini that exhibited image retention, which showed the symptom just after a few minutes.

25. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

How is Marco's test real world usage then?

----------

Still, checkerboard is not a real world test. What's real world test is just using it and seeing if any IR gets in your way. That's it. If it doesn't get in your way, then what does it matter if Jesus will be retained after 24 hours?