Argh... buy iPhone now or wait for reception fix??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JimmyJunk, Jun 24, 2010.

1. JimmyJunk macrumors newbie

Hey guys, need some advice here.

I have a iphone 3g that is on its last legs, and I was really looking forward to the new iphone 4 like all of you were.

Unfortunately, its obvious there is a reception issue caued by hardware and/or software.

I have a 16 gig reserved at my local apple store, and it will be held for me til 9 tonight.

If you were me, would you buy the phone now, or hold off til the cause of the reception issue is know and a fix is in implemented?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Upgrade the phone and enjoy it for its better specs, if the antenna issue is a prevalent hardware issue that Apple eventually fixes I imagine you'll be able to swap out the device for one that works - similar to other defects (dust under screen, cracked cases).

3. fuzion macrumors 6502

Just buy the damn thing. My reception is fine, and the speed increase is well worth vs the 3G.

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Personally, I'd wait. Nothing like having a brand new gadget...that works like crap.

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Read my posts, I have the issue, it sucks. However the phone is amazing, with a bumper it's flawless.

Buy the device, Apple WILL take care of you, just a matter of time.

It's quite an amazing gadget regardless of it's problems, just not a great phone at the moment without a bumper. Unless you feel lucky, like the other 15 members who have "no problems".

6. fuzion macrumors 6502

You mean I could have returned my 3G due to dust under the screen?!

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If your 3G is on its last legs, then buy it now.

Not all iPhone 4s have the issue. Mine doesn't, and at least several others on MR don't. There is no indication how widespread this is. There are definitely a very vocal handful, and that may well be all that there is.

Even if you end up unlucky, you'll be able to swap your iPhone when a fix is in the works. That's what warranties are for.

8. macbd macrumors regular

I have a phone pre-ordered ready to be shipped on July 14th. I'm ready to cancel it if there is not some kind of resolution by then.

9. naths macrumors 6502

it looks like the only fix will be the iphone 5....its the black damper things...get a bumper thing..seems to cure it...

10. dellavoce macrumors regular

I say go ahead and buy. Even if you do get one with problems, you can easily get it replaced. Also, mine may have the problem ( I just noticed) and it's bearable in the meantime.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I have the new phone and I am having no reception issues at all. Take the plunge.

12. diabolic macrumors 68000

I wouldn't wait. Both mine and my wife's are perfect with zero issues. I can't even force them to drop bars like others can.

13. AshStorm macrumors member

Buy it now.

Just activated my i4, called my g/f, reception was clearer on this one. I also put her on speaker and she said it was way clearer than speaker on my 3gs. And I put my hands all over this bad boy to see if she could notice any change. Nothing,

14. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I just got my 3GS display replaced for the issue yesterday.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd pick it up and buy it, then sell it on eBay (unopened) for $1100 and wait until the iPhone 4 is available anywhere (just use your iPhone 3g in the meantime) and buy it with non contract from Best buy and pocket $500+ dollars. And hopefully by that time the issue has been addressed. Win Win situation.

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Buy it now. I've been using mine for over 24 hours and no reception issues at all!

17. JimmyJunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I suppose I will just buy it, if worse comes to worse I can just put a nice leather case on it, although it would kill me to. Its such a nice looking piece of hardware its a shame to cover it up.

I did take a look at a coworkers new iphone 4, and was easily able to reproduce the issue.

I realize some of you are not seeing the issue, but from all the evidence it certainly seems like this is a design issue and not a defect with only certain phones.

18. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you were not paying attention....On the 7th of June Steve Jobs gave you a solution for the "reception issue" ....BUY A BUMPER.....it all makes sense in hindsight...Apple has never touted a case for any iPhone until this one

19. JimmyJunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... I definitely dont want to believe Apple would be this incompetent/sneaky, but it certainly is an uncomfortable coincidence...