Argh: Can't decide, display for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vincent-x, Jun 16, 2007.

1. vincent-x macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have had my heart set on getting a mac pro :apple: for a while now (yes, I was a little bit bummed when nothing came out at WWDC).

I can get an academic discount, but at the moment I cannot decide between the 23" ADC or the 24" Dell 2407WFP HAS. Prices are the following:

23" ADC 101,800 YEN
    Dell 24" 65,800 YEN (comes with three year warrenty)

I am looking to do some Photoshop work, maybe some film editing and 3D in Maya, but is the ACD really that much better than the Dell? (The Dell is even cheaper than the 20" ADC).

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Dell if things go wrong? I will be in Japan for a little longer but I will be taking it back to the UK with me.

Also I will be looking at getting the Mac Pro at base spec, but with a X1900, Bluetooth and wireless. What's your favourite place to get your RAM?

Thanks for your help.

2. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

While the Dell 2007FPW is very comparable to the ACD 20", and the Dell 3007FPW is comparable to the ACD 30", people say the Dell 24" and the ACD 23" use different screens. I've seen the 24" Dell in person, however, and it's a very good monitor in its own right. I personally own the Dell 2005FPW (their older 20" LCD) and it's worked like a charm, never any issues.

If you're thinking about the 23" ACD, have you considered the Dell 30" LCD? It's really nice, and would go great with the Mac Pro.

Oh and I got my RAM from OWC (macsales.com)

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I love my ACD in every possible way, it's the best screen I've ever seen. However, I'm yet to hear a bad word said about the Dells, and they are cheaper with more features. The ACDs are due a major overhaul at any time, but if you can't wait buy the Dell.

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

If you like grainy displays (worse than the old MBPs) with few features and a good chance it will have a pink colour cast, then go for the Apple 23".

If you expect more than that for the price, I'd look elsewhere.

My opinion is based on the very recent purchase of 2 new 23" ACDs and countless viewing of other examples.

5. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I *love* my Dell 24". It is one of the best purchases I have ever made. With the money you save over the Apple 23", you can buy a Dell 20" and have two displays.

6. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

If you don't mind a smaller screen, I highly recommend my display (see sig). It blows away the ACD displays, imo. Yes, it'd be old and used, but it'd still have higher DPI than virtually anything else you can buy (without breaking the bank) these days.

And I too got my RAM from OWC.

7. fredr500 macrumors regular

US Prices dropping

Here int he US the prices on 22" wide LCDs has plummeted. Everywhere seems to have a model for $200-$220. Do you really need an extra inch or two?

For that price you could get 2 and still be money ahead.

Fred

8. vincent-x thread starter macrumors newbie

The Dell 30" is very tempting (3007WFP-HC 133,800YEN), but I don't think I need all that real estate on once screen at the moment and so I think, should the time come, I would get two 24" LCDs. At the moment I already have a 17" so I don't think I need a 30" at the moment.

@Southernboy Thanks for the info!

@drlunanerd Thanks for the warning. Does Apple do anything about the pink hue or are you stuck with it?

@NorCalLights and @fredr500 I have though about the 20" and 22", but the lower resolution is a bit off putting. I would like to be able to view 1080p material without it being reduced.

@fairnymph I don't think I would be able to find one of those and I would want to see it working before I put down cash for it.

Also thanks to the people who told be where they got their RAM. :)

9. matperk macrumors 6502

I have the 2407WFP and I like it a lot. You don't seem like you'd use the extra inputs, but I use them for everything from my 360 to my MythTV DVR. Also the USB/Card Reader and optional soundbar are really nice.

It's still pretty pricey. I think it's much better to get a 22" for a third of the price. Understandable about the 1080p though.

Overall, I love it and it was worth every penny.

10. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Just throwing in my 2 cents - Having owned and used a 24" Dell monitor for about 6 months now, I must say I love it and have never looked back. I've never seen or used a ACD, but you will not be disappointed with the dell.