Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
California
I ordered a new Macbook with standard shipping on Sunday and Fedex gave me a ship date of Jan. 17 - Jan. 19 and an estimated arrival date of Jan. 19 - Jan. 25. I checked the order status on Jan. 15, low and behold, my package has shipped! Great, it now shows an estimated arrival date of Jan. 16 (yesterday).

The Macbook shipped from Bloomington, CA to Carson, CA. (I thought that Macbooks came from China though? :confused: ) Awesome, because Carson is only 10 miles or so from where I live and the Macbook was placed on the delivery truck at 7:25am, Jan. 16. I wait all day for the Macbook AND IT NEVER SHOWS UP. I call Fedex at 6:30pm and they inform me that their couriers stay out till 9:30pm. Okay. I double-check to see that my address is correct at Fedex.com, and it is, so I sit and patiently wait till 9:30.

Of course, the package never shows up. I call Fedex again, and a very nice lady tells me that there was a "delivery exception" and that my address is incorrect! WHAT. I ask her to tell me what address they have on record, and she gives me my correct address. I tell her this, and she proceeds to tell me that she doesn't know what went wrong. She asks if I know of any problems that could've occurred (like if I live on a difficult-to-find street or anything), and I tell her no. She tells me she'll send the package out with a courier who knows the address and I should receive it by Jan. 19.

I looked on Fedex.com, and it seems like my package never left Carson? It's showing up as being in Carson, which doesn't make sense, because if there was an attempted delivery in my city, wouldn't they leave the package in my city (there are several Fedex locations here)? Or since they couldn't find the address (morons!) they took it back to Carson?

I'm not happy at all with FedEx's service. I was so thrilled that my Macbook was coming yesterday. :(

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
I agree - FedEx is surprisingly lame. I had an item shipped for xmas and when it didn't show by 7pm I checked their site and it said, 'Unable to deliver due to circumstances beyond our control' - which the person at FedEx said was due to heavy traffic and a lot of packages to deliver.

Sorry, that is 'under your control.'

chelseasian

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2004
New York, NY (Chelsea)
Well, I had Fedex lost my shipment of a G5 before. So by the time investigation and everything went through, I received my G5 2 weeks later than originally planned. I was so pissed with fedex that I avoided using them to this date.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
I guess the guy was just lazy and did not do his job so now there going to give it to someone else to do, Nice

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2007
Yeah they are a little crazy...

I am in San Francisco, and had a macbook shipped from Southern California. It came up from SoCal to Oakland (which is like 5 miles from SF) and then was shipped to TEXAS. Apparently it has to go to a sorting plant there before being sent BACK to Oakland then SF.

I don't really like the idea of my computer taking a tour of the US before I even get to play with it.

How does that really make sense?

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
I agree - FedEx is surprisingly lame. I had an item shipped for xmas and when it didn't show by 7pm I checked their site and it said, 'Unable to deliver due to circumstances beyond our control' - which the person at FedEx said was due to heavy traffic and a lot of packages to deliver.

Sorry, that is 'under your control.'

Actually, it is kind of beyond their control. They are already running at maximum (if not near maximum) capacity at their hubs. Over the past few years they have been trying to add on to their major hubs to compensate. So yea I guess if they could have extra space and workers pop up out of nowhere, then it would be "their control" :)
You are talking about holiday packages. It was all over the news about how much freight FedEx planned to move over the last holiday.
I used to work there for a long time (can ya tell?? :D )

In response to other posts about lost parcels, these things happen. (Un)Luck of the draw. When a company deals with billions of packages world-wide, eventually things get lost, misplaced, damaged, blown away by a jet engine, etc.
I hate to seem like I'm defending Fedex (lord knows they've screwed me out of enough money working there), but from personal experience of what the operations are like, you have to expect some flaws from any company/person you deal with

aljlin

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
CA
There's expedited shipping which is slightly faster, but depending on where you live and where the laptop is shipping from standard shipping can be just as fast. I did standard shipping and got my laptop by in 3 days (well i would have gotten it in 2 days, had it not been holiday season).

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Sounds like a case of some bad luck. I live in a small coastal community, and have lived in some very hard to find places, but FedEx has always been on time with my Apple deliveries.

I've even had them deliver to my home when they were too late to deliver to my work address - no, I don't know the FedEx guy, and this has happened with different drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.