argh...fonts ? fontbook dead, linotype dead, firefox weird

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Secondsacharm, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Secondsacharm macrumors newbie

Hi

I hope I have this in the right place. My first time here so I am not as familiar as I'd like to be.

I'm attaching a screen shot from my FireFox. The font is driving me nuts and appears where sites seem to leave it to user default. My Thunderbird is okay as is my Safari.

History, OSX.3.9, G4 tower. The problem started a few months ago when I was adding some fonts to my system. At the same time, FontBook stopped working and all I get is that coloured beach ball spinning and spinning. I removed all the fonts I added, same thing. At various times I have looked for ideas and nothing seems to work. I can't find any font on my system which looks like the one Firefox is using. I have even searched libraries on various font sites, nothing close. So much for thinking I could find it and just delete it.

Today I got frustrated again and again went on a search. Some info I found on Firefox font issues had me redo my font preferences for the hundredth time and nothing. They also suggested downloading Linotype Font Explorer which I did and it loaded, copied all the fonts I had but when I started it up, nothing. The screen loads, but the window is basically blank (similar to the action I get with Fontbook I guess). Restart, same thing. As a test I had it copy some fonts from a file I have on my desktop and that happened, but still the window was blank and the counter showed 0 fonts in Linotype. Seems to me if it copied them, it should know where they are... but maybe I'm nuts.

So I looked here and found a thread that seemed related and suggested to trash com.apple.systempreferences.plist so I have done that, and still nothing has changed even a restart changed nothing. I'm so frustrated with this. Every month or so I try to fix it and every month I just seem stuck.

I would reload my OS if I could find it. Since I moved a few months ago it remains in one of the many boxes stacked in my basement which the movers didn't think to label :mad: so I haven't been able to find it (or any of my other discs) so far. Again frustration.

All I'd like is to get rid of this horrible font and get Fontbook or this Linotype program to work so I could manage my fonts. Every time I check Apple or some books I have they refer to Fontbook and since mine is toast I am totally in the dark about what to do.

If anyone has suggestions I am sure open. I am ready to trash the whole system and just get a new OS but last time I checked the store told me to wait as a new version is coming out....they didn't know when which is no help. Supposedly it was any minute now and that was in March and I see my the Apple site it still isn't being sold.

If I could even find out which fonts are supposed to be in which folders it would help. Since getting OSX and losing the Fontbook I am a little boggled by all the font folders and which ones do what.

Attached Files:

2. milten macrumors newbie

Need help with fontbook too

I can't figure out how to post a new topic - Geez, I guess I am a dummy.
    Anyway, I am working with a G5 Panther OS.
    A major problem I am having is some of my fonts are grayed out when I try to install them in fontbook. Such as: Copperplate 29ab - Copperplate 30 & 31 are installed and are working fine. Can anyone help on this?

Thanks
    Milten