Resolved argh! i need someones help with FCPX

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bluap84, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bluap84, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

bluap84 macrumors 6502

i want the audio to remain still. im using a music track and cutting to the beat.
    i wish for the audio track to stay where i have put it..

but sometimes when i make a cut shorter, the audio moves with the time line...i wish this not to...because its making it impossible to cut to the beat...when i cut a large cut to maker it smaller to match up with the beat the audio moves and puts it out of sync

my ichat / aim is bluap84@aim.com or skype is paulbennett1084 - its driving me mental

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I have only played around with FCP for a couple of hours, but you can un-link video and audio from each other. This creates separate tracks (or however it is called now) for both audio and video. If you want to plug in clips without the magnet, you have to use the placement tool.

3. pemb145 macrumors newbie

double click over the clip you want to edit, and select detach audio - you can then move each independently.

4. bluap84, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

placement tool doesnt work :( i think thats for audio associated to video...this is just a sound track

i cant detach the audio because it wasnt attached to anything in the first place. really dont know how to explain it...

i video'd it... hope it explains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63vEC_VsWds

see what i mean...id rather the beginning of the time line cut off more of the beginning of the song than move it with the beginning of the timeline.

@22:57 - off to sleep...ill dream of a fix to this...if anyone knows or understands what im bablling on about please HALP!!! :)

5. pemb145 macrumors newbie

From the video, it looks like the audio is tied to the first(?), earlier clip - hence its adjusting as you see - maybe you could try and attach it (small up arrow from the audio) later in the sequence.

I normally rough assemble my clips, then trim to the markers on the beat left to right, shortening clips as i go.

Maybe try a precision edit?

6. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

ah never thought of that. i may connect it furtherdown the time line, there is a cut which is quite long. ill whack it there! interesting...a precision edit you say?

and yea the audio was connected to the first clip

7. SatyMahajan, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

SatyMahajan macrumors regular

In the case of music videos you would want to make the audio track the primary storyline. Everything else should be B-roll to keep everything synced. That way all the clip connections are attached to the audio. Hope this helps!

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

This will work.

Another option is to work your edit from left to right as mentioned before. That way even though all your later clips will move it doesn't matter as you haven't synced them yet.

By the way I can't wait to see what you have come up with as I am really into this seasons F1!

9. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh i never even thought of that!!!!!! - im such a NOOB!!
    Could i swap the edits and audio around? or would i have to start again with the video being the b roll?

Hope it lives up to peoples expectations...its a montage of Monaco 2011

10. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Not sure. if you make a gap clip first, then shift everything to the B-roll, then move the audio to the primary storyline, might work. I would duplicate your project first, so that you can come back to it.

11. bluap84, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks, ill try inserting a 1frame gap clip on the first two cuts. im not fussed if i loose the audio, i just rather not loose the edits.

ill let you know how it goes

@SatyMahajan

i think if you were a hot female...id say i want you to have my babies...
    but as your a dude...ill give you an apple five high!!! your tip has worked...so im in the process of cutting to the beat now

<3 after 3 days of brain ache...i can continue my edit :)

12. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Awesome! Look forward to seeing the finished product!

13. the vj macrumors 6502a

14. bluap84 thread starter macrumors 6502

have sorted the issue now.
    but thank you